“Fun vacation for all ages” 4 of 5 stars

You added Summer Bay Resort to your Saves list
Summer Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Jackson, Wisconsin
“Fun vacation for all ages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I (30's) traveled with our kids (8 mo and 3) and my sister's family (40's, 13, 12, and 7) with frequent visits from Grandma and Grandpa (60's)- to see the least we have the age gamut covered! Eveyrone enjoyed thier time at Summer Bay and the exceptional activities staff offered something for all ages. We stayed 3/23-3/30.

We stayed as part of a guest week through RCI. Our rates were very reasonable ($750/wk), so we did not have very high expectations. We had done some research ahead of time via this site and the resort website and knew which set of condo's we wanted to be in. As part of RCI, you are restricted to the 100's- but don't let them stick you in the way back! They first tried to put us in 103/104 area, which is a far walk to the pools and activities. After much discussion with the very nice front desk staff, they accomodated our request to have units next to each other in bldg 107. Tip: Anyone with kids who will be utilizing the activities center, and staying through RCI, this is your best bet. It is a close walk to the 400 level pool and to the clubhouse for activities.

My family received one call about the timeshare presentation. After repeadtedly saying no, the man became a bit rude at the end of the converation, but didn't bother us again for the rest of the trip- fine with me. My sister's husband had a bit of fun with the timeshare people, pitting thier "offers" against each other, but they too were never bothered again once they said no.

Now onto the fun! We have very high reviews of the activities, music, and activity center staff. Our kids did several crafts, storytimes, and games- WHICH WERE FREE! At many other resorts you have to pay for everything- even foam crafts stratight from Orietnal Trading! Here they are very up front on which activities have a cost, and even those I thought were reasonable for the product you get (we paid $10 for a Build A Buddy, which my daughter picked a very cute stuffed dog- she sleeps with it every night now!). I cannot say enough about the staff- they are very kid-friendly, energetic and appropriate. Our kids really enjoyed them. My sister's family also made use of the family mini golf pass- the people are really cool and will let anyone really use the pass once you pay for it (i.e: my husband could golf on thier pass with our kids). Staying in the 107 bldg we made use of the 400 level pool alot. It is zero depth entry- perfect for our little ones- and a close walk to our unit. They also have no one monitoring for carry-ins, or they don't care, so we brought sandwiches poolside almost every day. One day we even grilled hot dogs by the pool, which was a fun treat. At night, we LOVED the music offered poolside- the dueling pianos was great (don't be scared- not loud or naughty at all- just two guys playing piano together...very family friendly). Most nights the kids would enjoy a late night swim at Big Kahuna's pool while adults enjoyed the music and beverage at the bar. Say hi to John the bartender- he does a great job! Again, we thought the activites were fun and well done- my only thought would be there could be a bit more for the "tween" crowd, but overall- all our kids could easily find things to do all day long most days.

We did eat at Big Kahuna's grill twice and had a different experience each time! First time it was just average pool food, with small-ish portions. The second time was EXCELLENT! Portions were generous, food was more flavorful, etc. Must have been a different cook. Either way it's a convenient option- especially when there's entertainment to be enjoyed. Also, people are right about the pizza- it is delicious! The kids loved it (adults too). One disappointment is the ice cream shop. The staff is not friendly and almost seemed annoyed when you want to order. The ice cream is also very over priced ($3.75 for a not full scoop- ouch!). They can do better here.

The units are very much what you'd expect- resort decor, functional kitchen, hotel-like beds. We brought along Sandwich Bags, which was a good idea for poolside eating and to store leftovers. My sister's unit didn't have a Cookie Sheet, but ours did. We also ended up buying paper bowls as the bowls in the units are odd- really wide and shallow- not good for cereal eating! Our maintenance was fine- and I have to give a special shout out to the maintenance staff who knocked on our door to alert me that our daughter was outside by herself- we knew this as she was walking back and forth to my sister's unit, but it was nice of them to be concerned and take action. After reading the review above, oddly, my sister also got a noise complaint one night. Her 3 kids were quietly getting ready for bed- not being loud at all. I don't know if security randomly knocks on doors to scare people into being quiet or what- but they should probably do a better job of tracking down the source of noise complaints before disturbing guests. FYI- we never had a problem with noise and overall found resort guests to be friendly and courteous.

We did Disney 2 days and it is NOT far at all- 20 minutes to Hollywood Studios and to the front gate of Magic Kingdom via monorail or ferry is an hour. There are also lots of chain restaurants in the area for dining if you are looking for that sort of thing.

Overall our Summer Bay vacation was enjoyable. My sister and her family stayed at Orange Lake Resort the year prior (right up the road from SB) and preferred Orange Lake, but still said they were not disappointed with SB. It's fun for families, more budget friendly than a hotel, and great location for those wanting to go to Disney. And hey- you're on vacation, so it's better than being at work, right? :)

889 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family stayed at Summer Bay Resort last week for one week, as part of a 'trial' timeshare return program. We were required to complete the timeshare spiel, which I am not going to talk about in this review. This was our second stay at Summer Bay, and we've been pleased both times. The condo we had was 2BR/2BA and was pretty clean. It was in one of the older buildings, which I don't think have been updated, but it was just fine. The furnishings were mostly OK, there was a tear on the sofa but that didn't bug us too much and soundproofing is nonexistent. The kitchen was clean and well stocked with everything we needed, though we ended up not cooking a single meal in the condo. My only complaint is that the walls are very thin. The front desk called us and said they'd received two complaints, one that morning, and one the night before, about noise. We do have two children (4 and 8) and I didn't think they were being particularly loud at all, and my husband and I were just unpacking and putting things away....no shenanigans going on that would have warranted a noise complaint as we are both very conscientious of things like that, and I would have been all over the kids if I thought they were being loud! And to make matters worse, the noise complaints were for 7pm and 9am. Ridiculous! Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and might go back - we have decided to stay at a Disney property next time we head to Orlando, for no other reason than it is more convenient, but who knows about down the road!

PS it was too cold to swim much, but the pool and pool area were very clean, and we ordered a pizza from there to take back to our room, and it was really delicous!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Family was here for Easter weekend and Disney. Easy shuttle access to to Disney resorts was convenient. Easter bunny delivered baskets to children for extra cost. Very cute and fun. Lots of activities at the property for our kids ages 12 -17
Nearest grocery is expensive so plan to bring your own ahead of time

Laurel, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

In the fall of 2012 our household got a telemarketing offer from Summer Bay Resort in the Disney World area. This was not a freebie you had to pay to stay and take a marketing meeting of not more than 90 minutes for this 21st Century version of timeshare ownership. The Resort was nice,well located,well keep,easy to get to and as easy to fall into as an open snake pit. The 90 minute presentation was over at two hours
when I refused to say yes to the endless money pit that is a timeshare. The sales rep
knew the resort and what it had to offer very well but rude took over at the sound of no!
I would stay at Summer Bay agian but not as an owner,you see the location can be booked like any other condo or hotel chain. I would advise anyone with a love for Disney area attractions to try them but don't take the bait and be pulled into a deal that could spoil the thought of vacationing for you forever.

Room Tip: Take a condo... you can get 1,2,and 3 bedrooms; base it on the group size and you get to use the s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was meeting some friends to play golf in Orlando at Orange County National which is close to Disney. I needed a place to stay for 2 nights & found this place on one of the internet travel sites (Expedia?). What initially scared me was the cost per night ($55-$60). I was looking for a clean room, w/a clean bathroom. However, the reviews I read on this place were all very good, so I figured to give it a try. I cannot tell you what a GOOD decision that was. The room was as nice as most $200/night hotels, & It was super clean. Hands down, the best hotel value I have ever come across. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to any family doing the Disney vacation, but not wanting to pay the $250/night price for the Disney Hotel. I guarantee you the rooms here are the equal of the top Disney hotels. Also included was a very nice hot breakfast. I will be staying here exclusively anytime I am in the Orlando area.
Tommy G.
Basking Ridge, NJ.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have no idea what the previous reviewer was talking about, because I thought just the opposite of this timeshare. We stayed (my wife, 22 yr old daughter, 19 yr old son) the week of 3/16 - 3/23 in the 2nd level of Bldg 5 in a 2 bedroom suite right next to the main pool and lobby. Rooms were clean, furniture somewhat outdated, but had flatscreens in both bedrooms, and a 42" flatscreen in the living room. The grounds were very well maintained, and they had music playing along the sidewalks by the lake which was a nice touch. Our room overlooked the lake, which was low due to the lack of rain in the area for quite some time. Pool was great, and had the tiki bar open throughout. Food up at the Big Kahuna was average (just had burgers) but really didn't expect much. Saying this was not in a great neighborhood was strange - because they are selling discount tickets along Rt 192??? Wasnt as if they were selling them on the side of the road. The entrance was gated, and the guard needed to see your parking pass to be waived through, and they always did this with a smile on their face. You are basically 10 - 15 min from Disney depending on traffic. The lights are ridiculously long but that's not the fault of the Resort! Maybe this isn't a 5 star resort, but for the price and point value needed to rent, it was well worth it.

Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a great week in Florida but won't stay at Summer Bay Resort again if we can help it. The units were run down, the landscaping was very tired and everything was just a little on the down side of timeshares. It's quite ways from Disney but not too bad. Our kids had fun on their beach inflatables and the main pool was ok. There are a lot of activities but most of them had fees associated with them. I'd rather pay little more up front and not have the hassle of paying for every little thing we might want to do for an hour. The security is marginal and it's not in a great neighborhood, lots of "cheap tickets" for sale. There was a light outside the bedroom window that kept us awake until we unscrewed the bulbs. needless to say no one noticed this during the week we were there. My overall impression is that it's ok in a pinch when there isn't anything else but it's far from a first choice.

Room Tip: The villas don't have a pool near them. There is an unheated pre school water feature only.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Summer Bay Resort? Share your experiences!