“Warm December outside Orlando” 4 of 5 stars

You added Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts to your Saves list
Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Bloomington
“Warm December outside Orlando”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This resort is a timeshare property and we do own here. The main part of the resort has not changed a lot in 13 years we have owned. They have added additional buildings and several pools with zero entry. Although not really warm they were okay (I tried all of them). The hot tubs were very good. The rooms are quite comfortable and the 2 bedroom handicapped accessible unit we had was set up pretty well with a roll in shower. We did have a couple of different families above us with young children that did not seem to stay still and ran around the main living area above us when they were in the unit. Thankfully they did go to sleep by 10pm but were up and moving furniture across the floor. I was again disappointed that the only free wireless wifi was at the clubhouse. I pointed out at the sales presentation that was unacceptable. Do not believe the promises since the sales staff really can't promise anything. We had great weather until the last couple of days during the 2 weeks we stayed there. We had flat screen tvs which were great. They do charge for minature golf. Location on the west end of 192 is okay with a number of new restaurants opening close by with a super Wall Mart just up 27. No pizza cutter or bread knife and only one skillet ,and you have to request a cookie sheet.

Room Tip: I would make sure you request a unit in the 400 or 500 buildings and as high up as possible. If you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

945 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Overall I was pleased with the resort. The rooms are a bit tired due to age but were fine otherwise. We stayed in the 200 block. I went to view the 400 block, which were newer but the 200 block was actually nicer. Everyone in my family agreed.
There are 2 24hr pools and hot tubs which is a bonus. I can't say I've ever seen that before. Yes it is a bit annoying that you have to pay $40/wk for wifi but far from a show stopper. The free wifi also works outside the main lobby beside the pool...perfect for when you are watching the kids.

Ordered food 1 night from the kitchen. It was very reasonable and the portions were good.

The only negative was that after we had returned home we discovered my wife had left her earrings behind a radio in the master bedroom. We called but supposedly they were never found. This is rather annoying because I am sure someone on the cleaning staff is wearing my wife's wedding gift!! I promise to return one day and find them ;)

Room Tip: 200 Block was actually nicer than the newer 400 block. 500 block (the newest) is reserved for Frida...
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have stayed here two winters, a week at each time. Accomodations a okay, service is excellent. Nice, clean, a bit dated. The largest Hot Tub I have seen and well kept. Only real criticism is no WiFI except at clubhouse. You have to pay $10.00 a day for it in the room.
Overall would recommend it

Room Tip: ASk for an upstairs accomodation, near pool
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Andover, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The unit was clean, but dark. Limited windows brought in limited light. There was no balcony, so no sliding glass door to bring in all that beautiful Florida sunshine (big disappointment). They show upgraded room on the website, but ours was in need of some overhauling.
The staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't have any soap in our unit, but when the man came with some, it was enough for several weeks! Irving, the bartender was a great guy to hang and talk with, even though the mixers he is forced to utilize to make the drinks are pretty lame. Not one for fruity drinks, but when I do have one on vacation, expect it to be of better quality. Always a cause for concern when the mixers are sitting out in the hot sun and don't need to be refrigerated! Is there anything real in them?
The grounds were nice and well maintained. Pleasant to walk around after dinner, just not a whole lot to do on-site. This resort is a bit further away from the main attractions, but that turned out to be a bonus for us. We tried restaurants and golf course SW of the resort which were very good and better deals. Like to try new places to get a better feel for the local area.
All in all, the resort wasn't a bad place to stay, but not one of the better ones we have enjoyed in the area. Don't set your expectations too high and you will not be disappointed.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I'm really having trouble coming up with bad things about Summer Bay.
Inside the condo, it felt like an extended stay with all basic room features, including a well-equipped kitchen, 2 flat screen TVS, a large jacuzzi tub, a hair dryer, and a stackable washer/dryer!
We were in an end unit, so we had a patio door with table and chairs. The only thing I would do differently next time is request a two bedroom condo. We had a one bedroom (which had doors separating the living area), but a two bedroom would give those who wanted to sleep a little more quiet space. Other than that, the area was beautiful, a Publix is just around the corner; a lot of eateries and shopping nearby. Animal Kingdom is about 5 minutes away.
Hands down: the best place my family and I have stayed in while in Orlando area.
If you're not interested in the time share opportunity, politely let them know, even if they ask you a few times.

Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My parents are RCI travel club members, and they gave my husband and I a week at this resort as a present. I don't know how, as club members, they could have assigned us a worse room. It was in the first building, closest to the entrance gates. Cars coming into the resort would shine their headlights into our bedroom window all night long, so we had to keep the curtains shut tight for privacy day and night. Of course that made the unit very dark, and the extremely low ceilings did not help the claustrophobic feeling. The unit had a "full kitchen," which was something that you might see in a New York City studio apartment: miniature stove, miniature dish washer, full sized fridge. There was not even enough room for the trash can to fit in the kitchen area, so we had to put it in the living room. The fridge had an ice maker, but it was not hooked up so we had to buy ice. No ice tray was provided. The air conditioner fan was extremely noisy, and although it was set on "auto" it seemed to run continuously. The bathroom had one sink, no tub, and almost no counter space. However, the shower stall could probably hold 4 people. The bed was not a King as promised, but a double with a pull-out Queen sofa. My husband and I had to sleep in separate rooms. The bedroom had two bedside tables, a tv stand, and a chair. The room was so small that you would bang the bedroom door into the tv stand every time you opened it. It also had a small closet that was partially taken up by the iron and ironing board.The living room/dining room had the aforementioned sofa bed, a small round dining table, three chairs, end tables and a coffee table. We opened up the sofa bed, so that took up the majority of the space in the room. There was a small flatscreen TV mounted on the wall. I'm giving it two stars because here was a one piece "washer-dryer" unit in the bathroom that I was glad to have, and the place was very clean. There was a flashing screen in the front of the property that advertised "walk- in's available - great rates." If there were vacancies, I don't understand how a guest of an owner could be assigned such a bad room. Don't be fooled by the photos on their website, some of the rooms may look like that, but all do not.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sussex County, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

It appears the unit we stayed in has not been updated. We had a 2 bedroom and it was small and dark. The master bath had a sink in a cabinet that didn’t offer any counter top space to put amenities on. The furniture was quite uncomfortable and since my daughter and I both came down with something, we had to spend quite some time in the room. The master bedroom had a king bed and the 2nd bedroom had 2 twin beds. We usually find 2 bedroom units we stay in these days have double beds in the second bedroom, but this room was too small to fit anything but twins. Our unit did not have a balcony either. This is something I really enjoy while on vacation. Coming from the cold, it’s nice to be able to sit outside in the morning with coffee and read. Instead, I had to stay in our dark dingy unit :-(
Kitchen was also very small. Not much counter top space for cooking. They have a coffee maker and there isn’t even enough room to open the lid to make coffee.
The second bathroom did have a larger cabinet with counter top space for putting amenities on. Smart, instead of putting 2 sinks in.
Peeve – the bathrooms have 1 light switch which will turn on the light AND fan. Great for waking someone up in the middle of the night if you need to use the bathroom. It’s hard to be quiet when you have to turn on a noisy fan.
Internet: they charge for internet service AND, they nickel & dime you here…if you have 2 computers (as my husband & I did – mine is a work issued computer so I can only use it for business) they charge you for a second computer to use the wireless in the SAME ROOM!
The pool: the lounge chairs were extremely uncomfortable. It was impossible to lie flat since it was virtually impossible to get the backs to go down. They are pretty stained (I’m guessing from sun screen and all). The pool was heated here, but they don’t heat the little water park pool area for the kids. Also, they really cheap out on the drinks, however, the prices seem to be in line with some 5 star resorts we’ve stayed in in the area. I didn’t get to enjoy my true vacation experience by the pool. The first day with a subpar drink and that was it for my entire stay! I’m good for a few drinks to say the least. Even my husband agreed with me on this one. The food was also “ok”. Nothing to get excited about.
The room had a DVD player. Do yourself a favor, walk or drive over to Publix where there is a RedBox. The rental unit they have on the resort is a waste. Movies are $4 and most of them have been on TV for years already.
They did hit us up as soon as we checked in to get us to do a tour. The first thing we always do upon entering our room is, we disconnect the phones.
All in all, I think the resort needs to spend some money on upgrading a few things (units, pool, bar…). The return should be quick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!