“Very bad room assignment” 2 of 5 stars

You added Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts to your Saves list
Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Richmond, Virginia
“Very bad room assignment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My parents are RCI travel club members, and they gave my husband and I a week at this resort as a present. I don't know how, as club members, they could have assigned us a worse room. It was in the first building, closest to the entrance gates. Cars coming into the resort would shine their headlights into our bedroom window all night long, so we had to keep the curtains shut tight for privacy day and night. Of course that made the unit very dark, and the extremely low ceilings did not help the claustrophobic feeling. The unit had a "full kitchen," which was something that you might see in a New York City studio apartment: miniature stove, miniature dish washer, full sized fridge. There was not even enough room for the trash can to fit in the kitchen area, so we had to put it in the living room. The fridge had an ice maker, but it was not hooked up so we had to buy ice. No ice tray was provided. The air conditioner fan was extremely noisy, and although it was set on "auto" it seemed to run continuously. The bathroom had one sink, no tub, and almost no counter space. However, the shower stall could probably hold 4 people. The bed was not a King as promised, but a double with a pull-out Queen sofa. My husband and I had to sleep in separate rooms. The bedroom had two bedside tables, a tv stand, and a chair. The room was so small that you would bang the bedroom door into the tv stand every time you opened it. It also had a small closet that was partially taken up by the iron and ironing board.The living room/dining room had the aforementioned sofa bed, a small round dining table, three chairs, end tables and a coffee table. We opened up the sofa bed, so that took up the majority of the space in the room. There was a small flatscreen TV mounted on the wall. I'm giving it two stars because here was a one piece "washer-dryer" unit in the bathroom that I was glad to have, and the place was very clean. There was a flashing screen in the front of the property that advertised "walk- in's available - great rates." If there were vacancies, I don't understand how a guest of an owner could be assigned such a bad room. Don't be fooled by the photos on their website, some of the rooms may look like that, but all do not.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

948 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Sussex County, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

It appears the unit we stayed in has not been updated. We had a 2 bedroom and it was small and dark. The master bath had a sink in a cabinet that didn’t offer any counter top space to put amenities on. The furniture was quite uncomfortable and since my daughter and I both came down with something, we had to spend quite some time in the room. The master bedroom had a king bed and the 2nd bedroom had 2 twin beds. We usually find 2 bedroom units we stay in these days have double beds in the second bedroom, but this room was too small to fit anything but twins. Our unit did not have a balcony either. This is something I really enjoy while on vacation. Coming from the cold, it’s nice to be able to sit outside in the morning with coffee and read. Instead, I had to stay in our dark dingy unit :-(
Kitchen was also very small. Not much counter top space for cooking. They have a coffee maker and there isn’t even enough room to open the lid to make coffee.
The second bathroom did have a larger cabinet with counter top space for putting amenities on. Smart, instead of putting 2 sinks in.
Peeve – the bathrooms have 1 light switch which will turn on the light AND fan. Great for waking someone up in the middle of the night if you need to use the bathroom. It’s hard to be quiet when you have to turn on a noisy fan.
Internet: they charge for internet service AND, they nickel & dime you here…if you have 2 computers (as my husband & I did – mine is a work issued computer so I can only use it for business) they charge you for a second computer to use the wireless in the SAME ROOM!
The pool: the lounge chairs were extremely uncomfortable. It was impossible to lie flat since it was virtually impossible to get the backs to go down. They are pretty stained (I’m guessing from sun screen and all). The pool was heated here, but they don’t heat the little water park pool area for the kids. Also, they really cheap out on the drinks, however, the prices seem to be in line with some 5 star resorts we’ve stayed in in the area. I didn’t get to enjoy my true vacation experience by the pool. The first day with a subpar drink and that was it for my entire stay! I’m good for a few drinks to say the least. Even my husband agreed with me on this one. The food was also “ok”. Nothing to get excited about.
The room had a DVD player. Do yourself a favor, walk or drive over to Publix where there is a RedBox. The rental unit they have on the resort is a waste. Movies are $4 and most of them have been on TV for years already.
They did hit us up as soon as we checked in to get us to do a tour. The first thing we always do upon entering our room is, we disconnect the phones.
All in all, I think the resort needs to spend some money on upgrading a few things (units, pool, bar…). The return should be quick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was sceptical of going here after reading the reviews but I honestly have no idea how anyone could find fault with this resort. Beautiful grounds, lots of activities and fantastic condo style suite. Was really easy to get to the theme parks in our rental car or they have a shuttle. We only wished we had paid for less days in the parks so we could have relaxed at the resort and enjoyed it more. We only swam in 2 of the pools and used the shuffleboard and tennis. There were so many more ammenities we could have taken advantage of if we would have had more time. I would definitely stay here again!

Clementon, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed here several times in an upper condo and loved it.....clean and up to date....then this time we stayed in a ground floor unit and there were large palmetto bugs that come out at night and early morning...these are 3inch "helicoptor" roaches...be sure to wear shoes when walking in your unit....I called front desk to report and they were apologetic/and said they would look into it......we still left a day early....this is our last visit for now...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We recently returned from two weeks at Summer Bay, which we booked through RCI. We were a party of 8 adults travelling from London so it was going to be quite an expensive holiday and we were anxious to 'get it right' with the accommodation. RCI told us how wonderful it was so we booked well in advance, and since then I've seen so many bad reviews on TA and also on the RCI website that I was worried what we were going to find. I needn't have worried though - we all agreed the accommodation and the resort was great. We had two apartments next to each other, they were both spacious and clean and generally well appointed. The kitchen could have been a little better equipped - you had to specifically request a kettle and there was nothing to put food on to go in the oven, for example - but those are very minor things. Not having WiFi in the rooms seems rather strange in this day and age but having said that, it probably did us a favour, otherwise the 2 teenagers with us would have been a lot less sociable! A couple of tips - we were glad to use our hire cars to go to the theme parks. We'd opted for Universal Studios rather than Disney and the shuttle bus to Universal from the resort isn't free of charge, nor is it frequent. Each theme park charges around $12-15 per car, but if you come and go more than once in a day there's only the one charge. We found Publix to be quite pricey for food - there's a Super Target not far from the resort which is far cheaper, unless you're looking for real top quality goods. And finally, if you've had enough of parks and want an evening in with a DVD - if you're from the UK, consider bringing your own. The resort offers DVD hire but this is via a machine and we discovered it doesn't like any of the UK credit cards we tried. Others from the UK found the same. I'd definitely stay at Summer Bay again - it's not on top of the parks but it's very easy by car. I'd also recommend the Boggy Creek airboat ride while you're there - not easy to find, but great fun!

Room Tip: We were in block 408 - very quiet, overlooking a pool and a lake, though I'm told we were there...
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We are staying here, our first time. Our room was not what we expected by the pictures showed. At check in the staff was just hanging around behind the desk, not very professional.
The master bedroom was very small, and it didn't have a whirlpool tub like the pictures showed. Old furniture, not the nicest kept up. No place to sit out at night, no balcony. Just 2 chairs and a plastic table outside our door. You had to walk about a block to use the grill. Will not stay here again. Totally not what the pictures showed and thought we were getting.

Room Tip: Ask for a building with a balcony Bldg 401. Close to pool and grill
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed with my sister at a Summer Bay Timeshare. It was a 3 bedroom 3 bath house with a enclosed swimming pool just outside the door. Lots of room for all of us. There is also a sleep sofa in the living room. 3 flat screen tvs ( one in each bedroom) and a large flat screen HD TV in the living room. A huge dining room table as well as an eat in kitchen and a washer and dryer. We had a slight problem with roaches, but after one call to the front desk they sent pest control and the problem was solved. So many places within the resort, there is a Denny's and a Publix on site. They offer a shuttle bus to Disney and around the property if needed. There are planned activities for the whole family to enjoy. We would like to return to Summer Bay.

Room Tip: Try to get a house away from the clubhouse or the big kahuna pool. The one we had was on a quiet si...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!