“I would STAY here AGAIN and that says a lot!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts to your Saves list
Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Kaysville, Utah
“I would STAY here AGAIN and that says a lot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

My family and I stayed here Sept 3-10. We had a 2 bedroom condo unit in Building 404. I, like you, read other people's reviews and do a ton of research prior to making reservations anywhere. I am very skeptical about pictures being doctored and places that don't measure up to advertisements. I am happy to say that the Summer Bay Resort measured up to my expectations with only ONE irritant.

I'm pretty picky so to only have ONE problem, that's pretty darn good.

We had 4 adults/2 kids (8 yr old twins)

The Unit - The 2 bedroom condo was very nice. Clean, well stocked with toilet paper, kleenex, dish soap, etc. I have rented other condos where they give you one roll of TP and tell you to go buy your own. There were also plenty of towels. We had 4 adults, 2 children - there was plenty of room for everyone.

The Pools - the pools were very nice and clean. We went to the kids water park and the kids had fun, but there really isn't anything for adults to do... We also went to the pool behind our building, the clubhouse pool, and the pool at Kahuna's. They were all very very clean and well maintained.

The Activity Center - Since we did so many days at the parks, we only really spent two days out of the week doing the activities. My kids LOVED it! They played bingo, did crafts, sandcastle building, and one day they had someone bring an alligator and show it to the kids. My boy even got to hold "Walter". Super cool!

The Beach/Waterpark - We rented the paddle boats and the bumper boats. The kids really enjoyed it and I thought the pricing was fair.

The Sales Pitch - I wasn't going to talk about this, but since others have, I wanted to mention my experience. YES, two seconds after we checked in, we were caught at the door by the SALES PITCH lady. She gave us her talk and we said we weren't interested. She tried two more times, then told us to enjoy our stay. We received a phone call shortly later asking if we had been given the opportunity to view the property presentation, I said yes and that we were not interested. I honestly didn't feel a ton of pressure. Then we just decided to no longer answer the phone. We let them leave a message. There was no more pressure than that. It was NOT bad at all.

My ONE PROBLEM - To me this was huge, but we managed anyway. The kitchen only had ONE MEDIUM frying pan. WHAT? How on earth are you supposed to cook dinner for 6 people with one frying pan? The whole intent on staying in a condo is so that you can prepare meals and not have to eat out every single day! I would have to cook things one at a time, then wash the pan. It was a pain in the butt. Seriously? At least have a couple of sauce pans... Oh and the frying pan wasn't even a non-stick kind. It was a mess, to say the least.

OVERALL - If you are considering staying here, you will not be disappointed. I'm pretty picky... My family loved it.

Room Tip: 100 building by kiddie water park; 500 buildings closer to Kahuna's (they have nightly entertain...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Hurst, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

This would not be on the top of my list for resort stays in Orlando. As far as the accommodations, the one-bedroom condo was clean and enough space for my wife and I and 2 grandkids. However, was on the 3rd floor and elevator did not work occasionally (BUT, we had a torrential rain one night and it appeared some of the 1st floor rooms got water intrusion and flooded out). They had amenities for the kids, but really unimpressed with the "lake" where they force you to rent their life preservers at $10 ea./day! My 9 and 10 year old swim like fish - really stupid rule (just a money-maker). Thought of going out and buying a couple - nope, had to use theirs! Makes for an expensive week playing on the lake. Pools were very nice I must say - and hours of opration good. Staff was OK - not bending over backwards but not complacent either. They did have craft activities ($) for the kids. And the no-cost shuttle service to Disney was welcomed to avoid parking/walking if you drove a car there. We did get a free lunch (terrible) and sit through the time-share sales pitch to get the discounted Disney tickets - matter of personal preference if it worth your time (I have no problem telling a salesman NO THANKS). It wasn't a horrible place but certainly didn't dazzle us either. I would not go back and likely not recommend to anyone I know as a place to go in Orlando. (FYI - this was a 'weeks' exchange for a timeshare we own elsewhere).

Room Tip: All the buildings and facilities looked equivalent; we were told some were upgraded with newer light...
Bridgeport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is the first time my family of 4 stayed at Summer Bay and will not be the last. We spent 5 days using RCI points. We loved every minute of it. We had a 2 bedroom villa. The master bedroom had a jacuzzi tub. Everything very clean and well organized. There was a complementary shuttle which took you to the supermarket or to other sections of the resort. The pool was opened 24 hours. There was a bar adjacent to the pool which closed late also. The kids loved the activities, especially the movie night with free popcorn. The lake was also lots of fun. We fished from the pier. The place rented fishing poles and even sold bait.

The only downfall of the resort is that is a bit apart from the parks. It takes about 10 minutes to Disney and about 13 to Sea World so you need a car if you want to go to the parks. My recommendation is to have some time to use the facilities as there is lots to do and you can have a relaxing time just being at the resort.

Branson, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Summer Bay is a nice clean resort in Kissimmee. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing special that really makes it stand out either. They do have some amenities, such as four pools, a small lake, mini golf and bars. However, to use the lake or mini golf, you have to pay an additional charge and the pools are all quite small. Would I recommend it? If you get a good deal, sure. If not, I would think twice. Like I said, it's a nice clean resort, but we probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Pensacola, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We are actually owners and have been since 2002 at Summer Bay and really enjoy going there. They are under new management so that has helped a lot. We have taken family several times and they have enjoyed it too. There were issues but were quickly resolved so no complaints there. It's only about 15 minutes from Downtown Disney and the Disney Parks. They do have transportation to the parks but since we only live 7 hours from the resort we drive and use our car to get around. There are places to eat close by and several years ago a Walmart was built and is only a mile or two fromt the resort so if you need anything it's easy to get.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I booked a promotional package with Summer Bay Resort with 3 nights in Las Vegas and 2 nights in Orlando. There was a miscommunication and there was no reservation on the day of arrival in Las Vegas. They could not book a room for me because the LV property was sold and no longer part of Summer Bay. They did not have an alternate property arranged and said "they are working on a contract with another property". When I requested refund, they denied even though they could no longer honor the same terms by saying the promise was for "an accommodation, not necessarily at Summer Bay Resort". Even when I called within 2 weeks of arrival to book the sales tour, they never mentioned that the LV property was sold and no longer available for booking. Basically, I am out $300.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

This is an RCI property that we stayed at through Armed Forces Vacation Club, which means we are NOT owners - we just purchased a week. We booked a 1 bedroom, 1 bath (for up to 4 people) and we have two daughters, 11 and 10 months.

Starting from the beginning...the check in was average. The lobby was average. As you walk in, there is the front desk to your right, an activities room to your left, and then three more desks/areas for ticket sellers and information. Pretty crowded. NOTE: Wi-Fi is only free in the lobby. We would have paid the $40 for the week for wi-fi in the room; however, it was $40 for each device! With our laptop and each iPhone we would have paid $120 so we said no way.

We were not happy at all with the room. I'm sure that because we paid considerably less than the average family/owner that we received the worse room but it was small, no counter space, and the furniture and curtains were hideous. In fact, when we arrived, there was sunscreen (dried) all over the (maybe) leather couch that I had to scrub with Clorox wipes and still couldn't get it all the way clean. We had a nice partially obstructed view of the man-made lake and the Western sky but the windows were filthy and so it wasn't very pretty to look through.

The bathroom was pretty large with a garden tub that had hand rails. The tub was clean, but the jets looked dirty so we didn't dare turn them on. The stackable washer and dryer were the best amenity we had. We were issued four towels for the room and we each took a shower (or 2) a day so washing towels was a must.

There is a large pool at the clubhouse (lobby) and a large pool a few blocks down by the 500 bldg. (which is the graded entry for little ones and a bar with moderately priced food and lots of yellow jackets - bring your epi pens!) There is also a small ping pong table back by the hot tub (which is decent sized).

They have a weekly schedule of activities that starts pretty early and goes until 9 or 10. Lots of stuff for the kids like crafts and games that you can leave your older kids down there alone to play for a few hours. Our daughter had some fun with Bingo and crafts. But beware - if there aren't enough kids, they'll cancel stuff. The same goes with adult stuff on the schedule. I was really looking forward to a market night with crafts for sale and music but I'm guessing it was canceled for weather. There is aquacise some mornings, too.

Karaoke night was fun, movie in the pool night for the kids, and a Texas Hold Em tournament for the adults. Mini-golf is between $3 and $5 per play/per person. There is a $5 off coupon on the weekly schedule and $40/family for the week. It's a decent course, about an hour long.

The "water park" and fishing. This is a sore spot for us. Brother and sister in law and two older daughters came for a day. They had never been fishing so we went down to the clubhouse to purchase (yes, purchase!) entry to the water park (three inflatables in the lake) and two pole rentals. At $10/person for the water park and $8.65 per pole (24 hour rental) we were shocked. You can decide for yourself but we were disappointed. And the poles? The "fish" are small, hand-sized sunfish. The hooks on the poles are for king salmon! Our niece actually snagged a fish, so technically she caught one. But please!

The best things about this resort:
- prime location for the parks. about a 20 minute drive to get where you need to be (and there is some free shuttle service, and some paid service, too)
- there is a Denny's (25% military discount and great service!) and a Publix grocery store within walking distance (linking to the property through the road by the guard shack).
- Ashley, the "Fun Boss" (director of activities) was great. My wife's birthday was on a day while we were there. For a fee, while we were out, they bought a cake (from Publix), and decorated the room with streamers and several balloon bouquets. I think I got my money's worth on that one.

Notes:
There is no housekeeping/mid-week towels (unless you want to pay for it). They give you three garbage bags, a few dishwasher tabs, and a Tide/Bounce. Bring or buy your own. Also, they had dishes and pots/pans to use so we brought some food to cook. Saved us some $$.

We did get called twice and approached in the lobby once about the time share spiel. If you can be firm about not attending (despite the offer of $100) then you'll be fine. Several people we talked to actually went to the "1 hour presentation" and claimed it was miserable and NOT worth the $100 because they were there for 2.5 hours and the breakfast they were promised was continental, snacky stuff. Again, we did not attend so it's just heresay.

And then we met some really nice owners - Terry and Lena, who are regulars, and were very friendly (retired Marine) and a family from MN that we are definitely keeping in touch with. So that was a bonus.

Again, an average resort, location was great, and for our purposes, worth it, though not luxurious by any stretch.

Room Tip: If you check in and your room is dirty or lacking towels/soaps/etc. definitely ask for another room...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!