“High quality resort, peaceful and clean!” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17805 US Highway 192, Clermont, FL 34714   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Clermont
Leeds, United Kingdom
“High quality resort, peaceful and clean!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed at Summer Bay in June 2009 for 1 week and stayed in a two bedroom apartment. The apartment was really clean and comfortably furnished, the kitchen had all aplliances that you would expect to be in your own kitchen at home such as washer, dryer and dishwasher. The lounge area was large large and lead out to a balcony which overlooked a small lake. The master bedroom was really big with jacuzzi, shower and walk in wardrobes with a large super kingsize bed. The 2nd bedroom had two double beds and built in wardrobes. The apartment had a TV in the lounge and both bedrooms which had all major American cable channels. We rented a car for the entire week and I would recommend this to get the most of of the Orlando / Kissimmee area as the resort is a 10-30 minute car journey from all the major attractions and is not in the heart of the shopping/commercial areas however there is plenty of restaurants of along the 192 highway which the the is situated on. The resort will try to get you to attend a timeshare presentation and ultimately try and get you to buy a week there, they were very keen to get you to attend. The resort has its own lake which was really good and it had its own man made beach. They had a variety of watersports on offer on the lake , I had a go on one of the jet ski which was good fun and reasonably priced. Overall i would recommend the resort and would stay here again if i went to florida again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
SBROrlando, Manager at Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thank you for your kind review. We truly appreciate hearing from our guests. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you will consider visiting us again. If there is ever anything we can assist you with you can reach our reservations team at 800-654-6102 or email me directly at mmatthews@summerbayresort.com .

I hope you will visit again soon!

Mary Matthews
Nightly Rental / Group Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
Lexington, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We just returned from a trip to Orlando, to Disney World and we stayed at the Villas at Summer Bay Resort in Clermont. We got this condo through the Armed Force Vacation Club. We stayed from Sunday May 3 – Saturday May 9th. We arrived around 7:30 pm and checked in at the Clubhouse. Check in was easy and the staff was very friendly and efficient. As we were leaving we were chased down by the RCI rep that wanted us to sit through a time share briefing for a $100 gift card. We declined politely. We got one more call during the week but also declined. We were given directions to our Villa. We were in Building 108. I couldn’t tell how old the building was. We had a two bedroom villa and we had 4 adults and 2 children, ages 4 and 2. We were on the 3rd floor but there was an elevator so that was no problem. This villa had two bedrooms – one with a king bed and bath attached and another bedroom with two twin beds and a bathroom across the hall. The king bed we slept on was excellent. It also had a full kitchen, and a stacked washer and dryer. It had a dining room/kitchen table and a couch and two chairs. The bedrooms and living room all had TV’s. The one in the living room also had a DVD player but we could not get it to work. The two TVs in the bedroom didn’t work the first night but a call to maintenance the following day got them working. The kitchen appliances were all new and we did not see any bugs in the condo. There were lots of Florida “love bugs” outside, but they were everywhere, including the Disney parks. The villa was clean as far as the kitchen and bathrooms. But, the carpet in this villa was dirty with all kinds of spots and spills on it. I don’t think it’s been steam cleaned or changed out in a long, long, time. The upside to that is that I didn’t have to worry about the kids spilling drinks or food on it. The tile floors in the entrance way, the bathrooms and the kitchen had something on them (maybe wax). They were very slippery. The two year old fell down in her bare feet more than once just walking on them. The door to the condo locked, however if you pushed down on the handle from the inside, the door opened. We had to watch the 2 and 4 year old constantly to make sure they didn’t let themselves out the door. The toilet seats in both bathrooms slid back and forth. Even though maintenance said they replaced one, it still moved. I didn’t bother to call it back in. There is no maid service at this place. Some places offer a mid week towel and sheet exchange, but Summer Bay charges $50 for this so just be prepared to do some towel laundry. They don’t provide any extra towels. The clubhouse pool was a wonderful amenity. The kids loved it since it was heated. They also have a white sand beach near the lake and the kids loved playing in the sand. They have lots of activities including miniature golf, tennis, and activities inside for the kids. Internet service can be paid for or you can sit in the clubhouse and use your laptop or Ipad free. They also have a business center that charges 20 cents a minute for internet. If you need to get on the internet briefly, then that’s not a problem. But the service for a week at the condo is $40. They also have a kids water park that looked like a lot of fun, but the water is not heated. We were about ¼ - ½ mile from the pool/clubhouse. We walked several times, but if you want something close to where you are staying, then don’t stay in the villas. In the middle of summer, the villas are fine for the kids water park. So, bottom line is that I won’t go back to this resort. The villas are too small and if all the carpet is like this one, then I won’t stay there again. I have heard that the condos at this resort are much nicer, but I didn’t see them.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Down South in Dixie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

OK, here's the deal. This is our second stay at Summer Bay Resort Orlando. The resort is nicely located near Disney, just a short drive down 192. The grounds are well kept, with the exterior of the building in good shape. The rooms are clean (ours was a two bedroom) with all the amineties, kitchen, washer/dryer etc. The couch and lounge chair were in need of replacing (worn and tears in the fabric), but the rest is in good condition. Now, here's the rub. If your trading in for a stay that's fine. If your going for a sales presentation, DON'T. The sales staff is well versed in the art of deception. Not by using outright lies, but by using the turn of the phrase. Our experience goes like this. We have been owners for over 30 yrs. at our resort. It was bought out by Summer Bay several years ogo. We were contacted by Summer Bay for a weeks stay under the guise of an owner's update, and could pick any Summer Bay resort. No tour, no sales pitch, just telling us that the Summer Bay Resorts were bought by another concern. We could ask questions, and make some suggestions on things we might like to see changed. We told them up front we were not interested in any purchases, no problem we were told. We picked this one because we wanted to go see the Mouse again. Well, we knew that what we had been told went south after a few minutes. The whole affair was once again a sale pitch. Of course with a turn of the phrase, they tell us it's not. But, if it walks like a duck, you guessed it. Even after telling them the deal we were sold, the art of the sale continued.The sales staff couldn't have been sweeter until they found that we were good to our word, no purchase was in their future. From Dr. Jekyell to Mr. Hyde we went. And, being a retired LEO, homey don't play that. So, terror of terror's we were told that since we didn't buy the pig in the poke, we will be blacklisted (my word) from tours at Summer Bay ever again. My therapist says with ten more visits, and the right meds I should be released soon. Please be warned.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hanover PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Long review....

Just checked out of the Summer Bay resort in Clermont Florida this morning. We are a family of 5... 2 adults and 3 children ages 13, 5 and 9. My brother in law also came for the vacation so actually we were 3 adults. We booked Summer Bay through my Aunts RCI exchange. We are a well traveled family having been on a few cruises and many stays at resorts around the world.

This resort has it all. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo. Full kitchen with everything you may need if you were to cook during your stay. The furnishings were beautiful and modern. Huge 50 inch flat screen television in the living room and a television in each bedroom. The sofa in the living room opened into a full bed. Linens and sheets are also provided for the sofa bed. There was an iron and ironing board as well. The resort itself was just beautiful in and out The front desk was very pleasant as well. Check in and check out were a breeze. I must note though that we checked in around 6 pm instead of 4 pm and we did the express check out offered over the phone the evening before.

We were in building 406 unit 404. Our balcony over looked one of the pools. This is one thing that I did not care for. Not the fact that we over looked a pool, but the balconies are not screened in, so that allowed for some unwanted guests (bugs) out on the balcony. But this is literally my only negative remark about this resort. Everything was cleaned to perfection upon our arrival. There is a washer and dryer in the unit, also hair dryers in both bathrooms. They provide a few rolls of toilet paper and paper towels. Also some dish washing soaps and bathroom soaps and lotions.

There is daily activities everyday for the family and children to participate in. Some there was a small charge for but most were free.. They had a calendar of this available hanging on the refrigerator. They also provide a booklet in the unit that offers some suggestions regarding some places to eat in the area. One of them is called Angels All You Can Eat Lobsters. DO NOT bother.. Nasty, nasty, nasty..

We did Sea World and Bush Gardens and our kids literally did not want to go to either, as they wanted to stay and hang at the resort. I was worried about it before the trip as some of the reviews are not good. This I can not understand one bit. I am not sure what more people could possibly want out of a resort.

We did not utilize the lake on the property as I am afraid of any possible alligators in a lake in Florida. Speaking of alligators, a company came in one afternoon and did a presentation at one of the pools with a live alligator. It was a small alligator, about 2 feet, but non the less very interesting and informative for all of us to see up close.

There are at least 4 pools that we seen and a small "water park" type area. The largest pool has a restaurant "Big Kahunas" that serves appetizers, burgers, salads and such along with beer and mixed drinks. Some reviews talked about it being pricey, ok maybe a bit but it is a pool side eatery. Budget accordingly or cook in your unit.

Please do NOT worry about booking this resort at all.. I am more then sure that some of the complaints were from people who really can not be satisfied by anything... It is just perfect..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review. We truly appreciate hearing from guests who have enjoyed their stay, and from your review it seems as if you had a blast. I do hope you will keep up in mind for future visits to the area we would love to have your family stay with us again. If there is every anything we can do to assist you, you can reach our reservations team at 800-654-6102 or email me directly at mmatthews@summerbayresort.com .

We hope to see you again soon!

Mary Matthews
Nightly Rental / Group Sales Manager
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I have never been treated so rudely by the security of a hotel in all my travels. This is the worse feeling a customer can experience, but I new exactly where my lost item was. The item happened to be cash, and I explained to three different security guards and the manager John where I had left it just hours before. The cash was in an envelope in a drawer and would have required just minutes to retrieve my cash. Instead they refused to look then blamed me for leaving something behind. Now, I have left items behind, like in the hotel safe in the room, and had never had a problem retrieving the forgotten item. Apparently at Summer Bay Resort they keep the lost items, especially if cash. I hope the Security enjoys my money left behind in my room in the drawer next to my bed. Maybe next time Summer Bay Resort staff can earn the tip instead of stealing. it. I will never stay at Summer Bay Resort again for the lack of trust in your staff and the rudeness of your employees. I will be sure to pass the recommendation on to all my friends on Facebook. Don't ever stay at Summer Bay!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I apologize that this review is so long, but this place was well worth it! I almost didn't book this resort because of the negative reviews I read. But I am SO glad I did. This place was WONDERFUL. Very relaxing. Very family oriented. Looks just like the pictures on the internet. Even better.
First of all, it had a gated entrance with 24 hr security, and was in a great location. Magic Kingdom is just 10 - 15 minutes away. Universal was about 20 - 30. So many FUN things to do on-site, that you do not have to leave the resort to have a good time.
All kinds of restaurants are right near by.
There were so many fun activities, that we did not get to enjoy them all.
Dennys, Publix, nail salon, hair salon, Papa Johns Pizza, Chinese food were all right next door. There was even a complimentary shuttle service that would take you anywhere on the resort grounds, and even to the Publix shopping center if you like.
Now for our accomodations! We were in Bldg 106, unit 102. This was a 2 BR/2BA ground floor unit that was in a great location too. It was very roomy and located near the interactive water playground and electric/gas bbq grills were right there.
One of the playgrounds, the shuffleboard, horse shoes and a pic nic area were located right across from our building.
The resort had four swimming pools. I think at least two of them were heated. Two were open 24 hours, and the other two closed at 10pm. There were hot tubs, mini golf, watersports, a covered bridge, and fishing available. You could rent bicycles, sign up to take a complimentary family vacation photo, and even get discount attraction tickets.
There were all kinds of on-site services and amenities including a concierge and disney activities planning center.
They offered daily free fun daily activities ranging from family wii tournaments, poolside family bingo, name that tune, kids candy bingo, adult cash bingo, family pool party, "Minute to Win It" game show, to crafts making sand art picture frames, foam diaries, tie dye t-shirts, ceramic bank painting, to aquacise, buid a bear, sand castle competition, and so many more.
They offered movie rentals and board games to check out. They had an internet/business center, a game room, a fitness center, and even a gift shop.
The resort had a lake with a man-made beach and jet skis and paddle boats for rent. Also, a big blow up slide and trampoline on the lake for the kids.
Your whole family will love this place. There were lots of activities for the whole family. Wednesday was "Dive In Movie Night." Our movie featured "Twisted," the animated "Rapunzel" movie. So they are up to date movies. It was shown at the heated pool at dusk with free popcorn. Drinks and food were available for purchase at the tiki bar/grill. They had happy hour for those that like that sort of thing.
Thursday night was "Spa Escape" for $10. And of course it was all booked up with a waiting list.
They had a complimentary family pool party with cookout, games, and ping pong. There was karaoke, dueling pianos, casino night, activities for adults only, kids night in. Did I already say a variety of fun activities for the whole family to enjoy?
We saw everyone in all age groups from grandparents, to young families, to teens, tweens, young kids, babies, and all in between enjoying themselves.
There were several types of accomodations too, ranging from a VERY nice Holiday Inn Express, to 1, 2 & 3 BR condos, villas, and even houses with their own private pools. Did I also already say it was a nice place?
Our unit had lots of space. Did I say that already? All of the beds had pillow top mattresses. Very comfortable. The living room couch was a sleeper sofa. The master bedroom was a queen bed with a step in shower in the master bathroom. The 2nd bedroom had two twin beds and a regular tub and shower in the 2nd bathroom.
Lots of storage and closet space in all rooms including a drawered unit in the living room.
There was a HUGE flat screen tv in the living room, and large tvs in both bedrooms. All of the tvs had cable, and I believe dvd players too. There was a nice stereo/cd player in the living room. There were three telephones, one in the living room and one in each bedroom. A dining area, washer & dryer, dishwasher, stove, pots and pans, dishes, glassware and silverware. Towels were provided and shaped in cute swan designs. There were also beach towels for check out at the pool. So you don't have to pack any towels.
There was a gift bag/starter kit of paper towels, dish detergent, garbage bags, laundry detergent, and dryer sheets. They even provided toilet paper and soap. Maid service was available and maintenance was on-site if needed.
This unit had ceramic tile throughout. Except for the bedrooms, which had carpet.
It was like vacationing in a home away from home. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and can't wait to go back for another nice vacation!

Room Tip: Request condo, villa, house or hotel. Very quiet.
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

After reading the mixed reviews, I was a little aprehensive about Summer Bay but booked anyway. From the moment we arrived we realized you just can't please some people. We arrived around 8pm and were promptly given our keys and directed to our unit in building 404. When we booked, there were only 1 BR units available so we knew our teen boys would have to bunk on the sofa sleeper so at check-in asked if a 2 BR was available. I was offered one in 200 buildings but opted to stay in our assigned unit having remembering reviews about the 200 buildings. Our unit was clean, updated though furnishings were sparse. The housewares were service for 4 so the dishwaser was run often. The resort grounds offered tons of activities (many for free), was well maintained and staffed by friendly associates. The location was PERFECT! Far enough away from the crowds, close to groceries, shopping and only a 30 minute drive IN TRAFFIC to Universal Studio where we spent 1 day. All in all, this trip may be one of our most memorable and activity filled ever!

Room Tip: Ask for a unit in 400 / 500 buildings
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clermont
Crown Club Inn Orlando By Exploria Resorts
#5 of 17 in Clermont
4.0 of 5 stars 180 reviews
Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort

Been to Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts? Share your experiences!