In fairness, I will start by saying that it was my lack of attention to the details of the reservation, and our guaranteed late arrival (only two rooms left when we arrived at 6:30 PM) that sealed the deal for us to be placed in a smoking room on this particular trip.
However, what really bothered me is what I learned from the staff at the hotel: even if I had requested a non-smoking room when I made the advance reservation, the La Quinta chain does not guarantee that they will honor smoking preference at time of check-in in any case. I have since contacted La Quinta Corporate, and they have confirmed that this is their corporate policy, that they changed to this policy a few years back. This information is on La Quinta's website in very small print, but not prominent; I never noticed it until I looked for it. In the future, I will make sure I only reserve at a place that can guarantee me a non-smoking room.
Aside from our clothes smelling like smoke for the rest of our trip, I would say it was an okay place to stay. The king mattress being shot, making us "tilt" to one side in the bed, was the only other real problem. The room was reasonably clean, generally comfortable (but we didn't spend time there except to sleep), and spacious. There was an extra-big mini-fridge and a microwave in the room. The free breakfast was not fancy, but was perfectly sufficient and delicious. All hotel personnel we encountered were polite and friendly. The indoor pool, hot tub, and exercise room looked nice, but we didn't get to use them. The place was easy to find from I-275 and was in an area with lots of restaurants and retail establishments on a major road nearby.
The guy who checked us in understood why we were upset about the smoking / non-smoking policy, and told us that he'd cancel the second night and not charge us if we wanted to find another place to stay after the first night. However, the area was pretty booked up, and we were in town to do other things besides spend time finding another hotel, so we stuck it out and did okay.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater Airport Hotel
- La Quinta Inn And Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater Airport
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater Airport Hotel Clearwater
- La Quinta Clearwater
- Clearwater La Quinta
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater Airport was newly renovated and recently named a 2011 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award winner!NEW! Flat-panel TVs with 30 channels of HD programming. Easy-access Plug-and-Play feature makes it simple to connect electronics.The La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater Airport is conveniently located in Clearwater, FL just 1.5 miles from St. Petersburg Clearwater Airport and 12 Miles from Tampa International Airport. Minutes from the hotel you will find many places of interest including, Florida's Gulf Beaches, Busch Gardens and Adventure Island, Ray's and Buccaneer's Stadiums, Salvador Dali Museum, and John's Pass Shopping Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, LaQuinta, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Fareportal , Venere, Agoda and HotelsClick so you can book your La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.