“LOVE this location and resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Sea Captain Resort on the Bay
40 Devon Drive, Clearwater, FL 33767   |
Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Comstock Park, Michigan
“LOVE this location and resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

No surprises & love the location! A short walk across the street puts you right on the ocean. I love the view of the marina and boats right from the resort balcony. A short walk brings you to shops along the boardwalk and the marina where pelican watching and fishermen returning is a plus!

My husband and I chose this location after I vacationed with a friend prior to this trip. My friend & family have been coming to this resort for years and years. Given the choice, I will return again!

Room Tip: Like the balcony rooms, but that's just a personal liking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My only wish is that we could have spent a week instead of one night at this really nice little resort at Clearwater Beach. Friendly staff, exceptionally clean and comfortable room and it's own short fishing pier on the bay. My daughter and I caught about 30 small fish off the dock in about two hours! (And that was at low tide) The location of the Sea Captain is just perfect, a short walk to the beach, parking without a hassle and another short walk to all the water sports/dinner cruises your could ask for. The price was about 1/5 of the big named resorts in the same area. The pool is very nice as well. Not huge, but deep enough at one end to have a seperating floating rope for the kids. The layout of the resort would be perfect for a family reunion. There is a nice porch on the 2nd floor with chairs and tables all the way down it. The first floor has a similar layout. Grills are free for guests to use and there are lots of chairs/lounges to sit and watch the world go by. This is a really nice place to relax. We will definitely be returning to spend more time here!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, only those with a view, or no view for quiet privacy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel instead of other options based on the reviews I saw on here. I'm so glad I did. The location was great! My son has really been into boats lately, so he had a great time watching them come in and out. The entire place was clean, clean, clean. This is important to me with a 1 year old who is in everything. I'm not sure I have ever seen such a clean bathroom.
The staff are super nice and helpful. There are books, towels, and sunscreen to borrow. The pool is very nice and right on the water.
The walk to the pier is short and easy.
This isn't the Hilton, but it's a perfect setting for a beachy, family trip!

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We can not say enough about the Sea Captain resort....I will say ,that I have finally found a place to stay with my family forever when visiting clearwater. We stayed two whole weeks at this VERY family oriented resort and cried when we left. We had our three kids with us ages 8, 10 and 13. We also brought my inlaws along too. We had room 10 bay side efficiency and rooms 26 basic motel room (very nice and comfortable) and 15 street side efficiency which also was nice. We spent our days at the beach and then would end our day at the resort with a BBQ on the furnished bay side BBQ grills and enjoy fishing off the docks directly on property that sat out side our door of the bay side efficiency.we caught over 20 fish on first night, our 8 year old had a blast playing with the local snails . We would enjoy a nice dip in the resort pool before bed. This resort sits on the bay where you can sit and enjoy all the boats coming in and out and is just across the street from the beach,and pier 60.The staff was AMAZING!!!!! Tom checked us in and I would make a point to always say hi because he too was very sweet and personable and helped find us things to go do in area.Cindy was a sweetheart too....she always had a smile , worked hard and talked to us like family as did the entire staff.!!! We got to meet the owner Mr.John who is very active on property. Very sweet man who takes very good care of his property and cares very much about the comfort and happiness of his guests and makes you feel as part of the family.please enjoy my pictures I will share with this post as it only shows a small percentage of the true feel of the hotel.No amount of pics or words could explain just how beautiful this resort really is...you must go to experience. ...A huge thank you to the Sea Captain Resort and staff!! Mr. And Mrs George and Michelle Tsatsaronis

• Stayed June 2013
Johnstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently from May 31 to June 7th, 2013. I had read the reviews and was impressed; thus making reservations. I had been coming to Clearwater Beach since I was a child. Our family (and then when I married and had a family) had always stayed two blocks over on Brightwater Drive at the old Kraymor efficiency motel, later called the Blue Jay (superior small lodging also). We loved it as many other families did also by being repeat customers. It bit the dust to condos as many, many other wonderful family owned motels have done in last few years here at the beach. We tried another similar one a few years ago, but it didn't meet our criteria or come close to our previous memories of the "old" Blue Jay motel. I was hoping the Sea Captain Resort would come close. Oh it came close - it surpassed all our criteria and then some. What a wonderful stay we had.

As others have written, this resort is fabulous with the location so close to everything. Every day, we just couldn't get enough of sitting by the bay watching the tourist boats come in and out, watching for dolphins, noticing the pelicans, and enjoying the marina traffic. There are more chairs, lounges, benches, and also a couple of picnic tables, than any other place we have ever stayed. The first and second floors have tables and chairs for relaxing or eating a meal. When we arrived, the place was booked solid I believe, but there was always seating. The beach and famous pier are so close to walk to, as well as restaurants. I even walked back from the uptown shops one day, and I'm no spring chicken anymore. The Sea Captain is that close to everything! The landscaping was beautiful and well taken care of. I admired the different plants everywhere plus the hanging planters on the balconies.

We had to stay in a room on the bottom floor on the end for the first night and then move to the second floor the next day. We didn't mind and later realized how fortunate we were to get a reservation, and we did that two months in advance! We felt the rooms were in excellent condition and decorated with updated furniture and pictures to our liking. Maybe this is called "old Florida" style but I loved the decor. I didn't feel like the rooms were old fashioned. Most of all (as others have said) the rooms were exceptionally clean, sheets and bed spreads in excellent shape and not cheap, and towels and cloths thick. I thought the bathroom was adequate and had plenty of storage space under the sink, as well as a wall medicine cabinet. Something unique I liked was the storage room between the living area and the bathroom. You could place all your luggage on luggage racks or unpack them and store, plus hang all you needed to with above space to place items. The iron/ironing board was here also. This room had a door which closed. The kitchen was well stocked with all you needed - coffee pot, toaster, tea kettle, good selection of utensils, tableware, & pots & pans. Dinette table had two chairs (plus two more in the storage room) and had a microwave on a cart plus a stove (so clean, too), plus a small fridge. They even provided dish detergent, a few coffee filters plus bathroom necessities. My only negative about the entire place was the freezer space (0 space except for ice cube tray). I'm very glad we didn't stop at the store first and purchase freezer items because there was nowhere to put them. Ice cream bars we did buy ahead of time did not freeze well. We ate out most of the time anyway but it could have been disastrous if we had purchased freezer items first.

We loved the room and the view from the balcony was fantastic overlooking the courtyard, pool, bay, and marina. I took so many pics. The staff was great and always helpful answering my questions. Great continental breakfast on weekends with a good selection. Coffee and juice during the week available. The office even has a book library and lots of tourist info. Swimming pool (very clean) was awesome - 8 foot deep and the deep end larger than the shallow end. I watched the groundskeeper gentleman take care of the pool and grounds each day. He really takes pride in his work and it showed. He didn't hurry through cleaning the pool, but took care and cleaned thoroughly. Every shrub and plant is in perfect condition. He wiped off all the chairs and lounges each morning. There is a nice boat dock, barbeque grills, picnic tables, boat slips, shuffleboard, and corn hole game also provided.

I also want to explain that we always felt safe here, as well as our car was in a well-lighted area. Many families were staying here and we met several that have been returning every year with many generations all meeting to have family time. That said a lot to us.

I just can't say enough about this new place we found. We definitely will stay again and hope it is possible again for us next year. I hope The Sea Captain will be available for many, many years to come. I hope it won't be one that "bites the dust' to hi-rise condos like so many others. It is truly a gem. Thank you Sea Captain and staff for a wonderful and enjoyable vacation.

I have never written a review ever, and I hope it will be helpful to families looking for a smaller place who take care of you and provides any amenities you might need. Thank you.

Glenn family husband/wife 6/23/2013
Johnstown, Ohio

Room Tip: Any rooms overlooking the pool and bay. I personally would not want the rooms back in the hallways.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked last minute, got the last room avbl. Much much less expensive than resorts around us. Very clean in a fantastic area to walk around-didn't move the car for 3 days!
Tv did not work on arrival, Cindy took control immediately called cable company and got it fixed!
They even have a continental breakfast in the office!
Perfect for extended families as there is many tables and chairs on porches for socializing!
We loved staying in an old Florida style motel instead of a big generic resort!

• Stayed June 2013
Indian Trail, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Sea Captain for 7 nights and would definitely return. I had researched quite a bit prior to our arrival and it was what I expected and more. The rooms are very clean and comfortable! The beds were great as were the pillows and linens. The towels in the bathroom soft. Sometimes w/ older places you find these things as old as the hotel itself! Not the case here. The pool was clean and a perfect temp - plenty of chairs and pool towels provided. The grounds were awesome; shuffle board, cornhole, fishing, picnic tables to watch the boats come and go, grills - I mean if you want old Florida style this place can't be beat! We had extended family come in later in the week and everyone loved it and felt right at home and relaxed. This little resort grew on all of us and by the end of the week we were sad to leave and a little jealous of the people checking in behind us. :) If you want a comfortable, clean, laid back vacation spot this is for you. If you want a 5 star resort, well it isn't that, but for what it is it's just about perfect and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sea Captain Resort on the Bay? Share your experiences!