“Fantastic Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Captain Resort on the Bay

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clearwater
Sea Captain Resort on the Bay
You added Sea Captain Resort on the Bay to your Saves list
40 Devon Drive, Clearwater, FL 33767   |
Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Johnstown, Ohio
“Fantastic Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently from May 31 to June 7th, 2013. I had read the reviews and was impressed; thus making reservations. I had been coming to Clearwater Beach since I was a child. Our family (and then when I married and had a family) had always stayed two blocks over on Brightwater Drive at the old Kraymor efficiency motel, later called the Blue Jay (superior small lodging also). We loved it as many other families did also by being repeat customers. It bit the dust to condos as many, many other wonderful family owned motels have done in last few years here at the beach. We tried another similar one a few years ago, but it didn't meet our criteria or come close to our previous memories of the "old" Blue Jay motel. I was hoping the Sea Captain Resort would come close. Oh it came close - it surpassed all our criteria and then some. What a wonderful stay we had.

As others have written, this resort is fabulous with the location so close to everything. Every day, we just couldn't get enough of sitting by the bay watching the tourist boats come in and out, watching for dolphins, noticing the pelicans, and enjoying the marina traffic. There are more chairs, lounges, benches, and also a couple of picnic tables, than any other place we have ever stayed. The first and second floors have tables and chairs for relaxing or eating a meal. When we arrived, the place was booked solid I believe, but there was always seating. The beach and famous pier are so close to walk to, as well as restaurants. I even walked back from the uptown shops one day, and I'm no spring chicken anymore. The Sea Captain is that close to everything! The landscaping was beautiful and well taken care of. I admired the different plants everywhere plus the hanging planters on the balconies.

We had to stay in a room on the bottom floor on the end for the first night and then move to the second floor the next day. We didn't mind and later realized how fortunate we were to get a reservation, and we did that two months in advance! We felt the rooms were in excellent condition and decorated with updated furniture and pictures to our liking. Maybe this is called "old Florida" style but I loved the decor. I didn't feel like the rooms were old fashioned. Most of all (as others have said) the rooms were exceptionally clean, sheets and bed spreads in excellent shape and not cheap, and towels and cloths thick. I thought the bathroom was adequate and had plenty of storage space under the sink, as well as a wall medicine cabinet. Something unique I liked was the storage room between the living area and the bathroom. You could place all your luggage on luggage racks or unpack them and store, plus hang all you needed to with above space to place items. The iron/ironing board was here also. This room had a door which closed. The kitchen was well stocked with all you needed - coffee pot, toaster, tea kettle, good selection of utensils, tableware, & pots & pans. Dinette table had two chairs (plus two more in the storage room) and had a microwave on a cart plus a stove (so clean, too), plus a small fridge. They even provided dish detergent, a few coffee filters plus bathroom necessities. My only negative about the entire place was the freezer space (0 space except for ice cube tray). I'm very glad we didn't stop at the store first and purchase freezer items because there was nowhere to put them. Ice cream bars we did buy ahead of time did not freeze well. We ate out most of the time anyway but it could have been disastrous if we had purchased freezer items first.

We loved the room and the view from the balcony was fantastic overlooking the courtyard, pool, bay, and marina. I took so many pics. The staff was great and always helpful answering my questions. Great continental breakfast on weekends with a good selection. Coffee and juice during the week available. The office even has a book library and lots of tourist info. Swimming pool (very clean) was awesome - 8 foot deep and the deep end larger than the shallow end. I watched the groundskeeper gentleman take care of the pool and grounds each day. He really takes pride in his work and it showed. He didn't hurry through cleaning the pool, but took care and cleaned thoroughly. Every shrub and plant is in perfect condition. He wiped off all the chairs and lounges each morning. There is a nice boat dock, barbeque grills, picnic tables, boat slips, shuffleboard, and corn hole game also provided.

I also want to explain that we always felt safe here, as well as our car was in a well-lighted area. Many families were staying here and we met several that have been returning every year with many generations all meeting to have family time. That said a lot to us.

I just can't say enough about this new place we found. We definitely will stay again and hope it is possible again for us next year. I hope The Sea Captain will be available for many, many years to come. I hope it won't be one that "bites the dust' to hi-rise condos like so many others. It is truly a gem. Thank you Sea Captain and staff for a wonderful and enjoyable vacation.

I have never written a review ever, and I hope it will be helpful to families looking for a smaller place who take care of you and provides any amenities you might need. Thank you.

Glenn family husband/wife 6/23/2013
Johnstown, Ohio

Room Tip: Any rooms overlooking the pool and bay. I personally would not want the rooms back in the hallways.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked last minute, got the last room avbl. Much much less expensive than resorts around us. Very clean in a fantastic area to walk around-didn't move the car for 3 days!
Tv did not work on arrival, Cindy took control immediately called cable company and got it fixed!
They even have a continental breakfast in the office!
Perfect for extended families as there is many tables and chairs on porches for socializing!
We loved staying in an old Florida style motel instead of a big generic resort!

• Stayed June 2013
Indian Trail, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Sea Captain for 7 nights and would definitely return. I had researched quite a bit prior to our arrival and it was what I expected and more. The rooms are very clean and comfortable! The beds were great as were the pillows and linens. The towels in the bathroom soft. Sometimes w/ older places you find these things as old as the hotel itself! Not the case here. The pool was clean and a perfect temp - plenty of chairs and pool towels provided. The grounds were awesome; shuffle board, cornhole, fishing, picnic tables to watch the boats come and go, grills - I mean if you want old Florida style this place can't be beat! We had extended family come in later in the week and everyone loved it and felt right at home and relaxed. This little resort grew on all of us and by the end of the week we were sad to leave and a little jealous of the people checking in behind us. :) If you want a comfortable, clean, laid back vacation spot this is for you. If you want a 5 star resort, well it isn't that, but for what it is it's just about perfect and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband I were looking for a hotel not far from the beach that was clean and comfortable. The Sea Captain ended up being perfect. Please note this place is not modern or fancy. What it is though is : clean, comfortable, close to everything and you feel safe walking around. You are not right on the beach but you are at the marina and have a view of the harbor, fishing dock with grounds that are well taken care. Although we did not have our kids with us we found it to be extremely family friendly. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We decided to stay here based on the reviews. It was perfect...location location location. We walked everywhere! Restaurants, Pier, beach and boat tours all are very close. The beach is across two streets but you are very close. It is small and old fashioned, like a east coast beach place in Fl. Very clean and the grounds are kept very well. The bathroom is small but worth all the extras. Cindy at the front desk was super helpful and even gave my daughter aloe to put on her sunburn! Tom was helpful as well and gave us tips on where to eat and aquarium tickets we could purchase right there. They have a great continental breakfast on weekends and coffee and juice weekdays. The price was great and we are so glad we didn't stay at the higher priced place we originally planned. No parking fees and no hotel fees. They have a pool, hot tub, shuffle board and corn hole games. Laundry room with free detergent. This place is a gem! Lots of seating out by the harbor and a great place to watch the boats. Even though the beds were doubles they were very comfortable and the sheets and towels were not the cheapy hotel types, but nice quality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Carlisle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My son & I stayed here for one night in room 22. The bay views from every window were very pretty! The hotel itself is older with old Florida decor - it had character :) The most important thing was that our room was CLEAN. The property grounds has several benches & picnic tables - plenty of seating options to sit outside & watch the boats coming & going. The best part was the location of the hotel! We walked to the beach, to Pier 60, & to breakfast. You can literally park your car & walk everywhere!

The only reason I didn't give this a 5 is because it appears the pool doesn't have a 'closing time' like most places. It was a Saturday night when we stayed & the pool was just below our room but at 11pm there were several older kids in the pool being quite loud. Not a huge deal but my six year old was fast asleep at that time.

Anyway, overall great place! We'd stay there again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

As usual another wonderful trip to the Sea Captain. Clean and comfortable. Old Florida style but well kept. Hard to beat location! Fifth stay and will b back! Easy walk to the beach . Fishing dock, view of harbor and passing boats

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Sea Captain Resort on the Bay? Share your experiences!