“Cheap!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Orlando, FL
“Cheap!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I guess the old adage holds true...you get what you pay for. The place is not attractive. The A/C unit is so loud and rattles, it kept my fiancé and I up at night. The air vent in the bathroom was filthy. The carpet needs to be cleaned. Several people including myself almost got scammed by someone calling the rooms and pretending to be from the front desk stating that the computer system crashed and they need to re-enter customer information into their system. They asked for name, address, and credit card number. Thankfully I did not give them the information as i had a gut feeling that this was a scam. I know this isn't the hotel's fault, but I've never had this happen at any of the other hotels I've stayed in. I stay in hotels about 1 week per month due to business traveling.

The only good thing was the front desk manager. She was very friendly and helped me setup a flower delivery to the room prior to my fiancé’s arrival. If it wasn't for her I would rate this a 1 out of 5. Oh yeah, the breakfast was pretty good. That was another plus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tina G, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your response. I apologize for your inconveniences. I will be sure to have my GM speak with our staff. That scam has been happening to a lot of hotels all over we take precautions to prevent but they find away around it. The flowers you had delivered for your fiance were beautiful purple and pink the best colors for a ladies heart :) Congratulations on your engagement! I am glad you at least enjoyed breakfast and again my apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stopped here for 3 nights and this stay was a major disappointment. I wasn't expecting a fantastic hotel given the value price I had paid but the major disappointment was the shocking service my family and I received. The front desk were fine - cheerful and helpful but the breakfast staff were nothing short of rude and aggressive. The buffet breakfast was barely adequate but when the staff don't even greet you with a good morning and then manage not to speak to guests for the 30 minutes I witnessed. In fact the only time I heard the staff speak in the breakfast room was to complain openly about other guests not moving their dishes. As for the rooms they are adequate at best with dated furnishings and minor damage in virtually all areas. I would not recomment staying here and will not be making a return visit.

Room Tip: Pay the extra 30 dollars for a suite upgrade if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tina G, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your response. I do apologize for the breakfast issues. I will be sure to bring this to my GM's attention so he can rectify the problem. I do hope you give us another try on your next trip to Clearwater :)
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

As a Platinum Choice Hotel member, I'm quite familiar with their properties, with the exception of Clarion, in which I've never stayed before.

I don't know if this property is indicative of other Clarions, but it was a great experience.

We booked, through Choice Hotels website, a king room with a sofa bed (to sit on not sleep.) Our plans changed at the last second and we had to move our four night reservation up by one day. When I went online to change it, the rates had risen to average $82.99 vs. $56 dollars. Choice Hotels customer service couldn't do anything and suggested I call the hotel. I called and spoke with Carmen, the front desk manager. She not only offered to keep the lower rate, she, without prodding, mentioned that since I am a Platinum member, she was upgrading me to a suite.

We arrived to a warm welcome by Carmen and Dave, the General Manager. All of the staff were very friendly, throughout our stay.

The room had a separate room for the couch and second tv, along with another upholstered chair, coffee table, small kitchen table, fridge and microwave.

Unlike most Choice properties, this one has a restaurant that serves dinner (we ate there once.-pretty good food for reasonable price,) has a full bar and also serves to provide the included breakfast. The breakfast consisted of Real scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, fruit salad, bananas, cereal, pastries, juice and coffee (in ceramic mugs.)

The hotel also has a pool, plus kiddie pool, and a big hot tub. They also have laundry facilities. While we were there, I accidently broke the towel rack. They had it fixed by that afternoon. Another thing they had in our room, which I've never before experienced, was a dual control Sleep Number bed. My wife likes a softer bed than me and this was perfect for us.

Now this is not a new hotel, but they keep it in good condition, and they know how to treat their guests. It's right off Gulf to Bay Blvd (rte 60) which will take you either back to Tampa or to Clearwater Beach. It's also right next to Rte 19 (but not noisy in room) which takes you to St. Petersburg.

All in all, this was a great experience. I highly recommend this property to anyone visiting the Clearwater area.

Thanks Carmen and Dave for a great stay.

Room Tip: Suites section faces the highway or the pool. Ask if you want to overlook the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tina G, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your response. As a Platinum member we have great value in your review due to you stay in many hotels throughout the year. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were so pleased with our hotel. Our staff takes great pride in their job details. We look forward to seeing you again in the future :)
St Augustine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

stayed here for one night on business staff was very nicebreakfast bar was very nice no maid to order waffles but pancakes eggs and bacon and sausagenice courtyard with pool nice little bar nice placebeing a Clarion I expected a little bit morerooms were tiredexpect a little bit more polishbeds: had a wreck just a bowlplace was cleanthe construction on the expressway was inconveniencing getting In N Out but that's the short term issueI would stay there again but I wouldn't pay more than what I paid for my one nightthere are a number of choice since in close proximityI would definitely try another choice property near by just to comparebut otherwise I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast. Yes, the construction can be a little frustrating but is out of our control. Not sure if you were aware but we have a back entrance/exit that is a bit easier to get to the highway. Hope to see you on your next business trip to the area. Thank you!
Vlissingen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Location is great, close to lots major roads, restaurants and shops. Also great starting point for the beach, which is about 20 mins by car. Free wifi is super, television had a bad signal.
We found the staff to be very rude, we did not feel welcome at check in. The room we've got was clean, although the toilet couldn't flush and water did not drain. We had to call reception, she was not friendly at all. We didn't get any excuse, all she said was: I'll send someone; then she hung op. There was a maintenance guy very quick who fixed this issue.

Breakfast was great, lot to choose from and allways being stocked. The staff however was also very grumpy (except for the elder lady, she was nice!) especially the male figure who was working there.
Cutlerie was filthy, i really wonder if they have a dishwasher there. Everyone had to put their used cutlerie into a pot filled with soap. Also, the hotel was pretty crowded with sportteams, classes? and a family reunion although that didn't bother us.
The swimming pool is nice, but also very dirty. Especially the floor! We've got beach towels who were unwashed. Gross!

At check out, she didn't even ask me how my stay was.
We will not come back here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amityville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I was supposed to stay at grandmas house and it was too small for my family of four. We booked Clarion at 3:30am our first night. I was very happy with our stay. It was crowded but everyone kept to themselves. Quiet, which I love. My kids loved the breakfast every morning. Service at breakfast was great, keeping everything stocked with fresh food. Staff at hotel was wonderful upon check in and out. You can't beat the location and price for the area. Everything is in close proximity... target, Starbucks, and smokey bones were our local faves during our stay. Very happy with our stay at the Clarion verses grandmas couch lol

• Stayed July 2013
Tina G, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay and I must agree a sleep number bed beats grandmas couch for sure. Look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Clearwater. Thank you for your response :)
Edgewood, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband, myself and 2 girls stayed here in mid June for 4 nights. It was a great price from booking.com. I always inspect our hotel room as soon as we arrive. I am pleased to say that I found the room to be clean, and seemed comfortable. It had a mini fridge, microwave and small kitchen sink. Lots of cabinet space if you bring along food or home goods. In addition to the 2 queen beds there was a nice size sitting area. I really appreciated the extra space because we brought along beach everything...lol. Housekeeping was very friendly. They did a great job and even lined the girls stuffed toys and dolls across their bed. The free hot breakfast was yummy to my husband because he's a breakfast man. They offered cereal and pastry as well so the kids we happy. I had coffee for breakfast as usual. The common areas of the hotel as well as the pool area was clean and well lit at night. Only 2 negatives I found. 1. The laundry room was at the opposite end of the hotel from our room so a more central location would have been nice and they only had few washers and dryers for a large hotel. 2. This negative is silly but so true! Our room only had 2 tiny bathroom sized trash cans. With a family of 4 and the fact that our room included microwave and fridge.... please management... larger trash cans!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. Glad you enjoyed everything. Our housekeeping girls do do a great job. They all have been with us for many years and take great pride in their jobs. If you would have asked for a bigger trash can we would have been more than happy to assist you with that. On your next trip to us when you check in just ask and we will be more than happy to get you one :) Thank you again for taking the time to inform us that you had a wonderful stay :)

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!