“great la quinta but pool no longer heated” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21338 US Hwy 19 North, Clearwater, FL 33765   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #47 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Las Vegas
“great la quinta but pool no longer heated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

we checked into this la quinta this past sunday on the last leg of a weekend getaway we have stayed many times at this location the past few years and always enjoy it the pool was always heated before and the hot tub is in a covered are and very nice the breakfast was usually above par for most la quintas as they offer egg and sausage patties as most la quintas only have waffles and its very pet friendly we travel extensively around florida on many weekends and we always look for 4 things pet friendly value heated pool and Jacuzzi the heated pools are very important as unheated pools in march are usually around 60 degree water temperature they used to keep this pool about 85-87 degrees about 20 minutes after we checked in I walked out to the pool and saw several people sunbathing but no one swimming so I opened the gate and took off my flip flops and stepped into the pool and it was very cold so I went back to the room and called the front desk and they told me it was no longer heated and I wanted to check out and be refunded and I was so we left it is still advertised as heated on the la quinta website and this la quinta charges 135 to 155 a night during the march baseball season at next door bright house field you would think they could afford to keep the pool heated this is a very good la quinta except for the now unheated pool I had a similar experience a few months ago at the la quinta Brandon regency had pool advertised as heated but it was not I guess you can no longer assume any of the advertising you need to walk out to the pool to check the water temperature before you check in if this is important to you I would stay at these to hotels again during summer if the price is right but not during winter or spring when the pools are cold

Room Tip: inside rooms face pool area outside rooms face parking area outside rooms have easy access thru slid...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I would stay at this hotel again, if I needed to. We stayed at this hotel because of the location; not because the area was highly desired (it is basically located in front of a highway ramp) but because of Bright House Field for Phillies Spring Training. The breakfast was average, the service was good, the pool/hot tub areas were maintained but needed to be more throughly cleaned (hard winter?) and the check in and out was easy. The rooms, on the other hand, need some work. The first room we checked into had strange stains around the bathroom sink area and strange stains and wear and tear on the bathroom tub. It appeared to be age. We changed rooms and this improved moderately. They did allow us to change rooms easily. This hotel worked for us because all we did was sleep and shower in the room. Other then the bathroom, which was mostly clean, the room was clean and maintained moderately well. If you are looking to relax and enjoy sunny Florida by the pool, you probably want to find a nicer location.

Room Tip: You probably want to see the room first; some of them have not aged well.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

You have to have realistic expectations on what you're getting. We selected this location because of 1) proximity to Brighthouse Networks Field and 2) Cost compared to other adjacent hotels.

We got what we paid for.

Friendly staff, a clean room, some musty florida smells, and outdated decor.

It was adequate for what we needed, nothing more, nothing less.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

while staying there one of the desk clerk by the name of molly was really excellent for info,directions,sites to see she was extremely top notch!!!!!!!!!! she really worth every dollar you pay her!!!she's good person to everybody!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Fremont, Michigan, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

It was a very easy location to find. Just off the Sam Houston Freeway. Rooms were very clean. Excellent front desk staff; very accomodating. Wonderful breakfast variety. For a pet friendly hotel; I did not smell any pet ordors in room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Arvada, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

La Quinta is a great lodging system, consistent, predictable. I seek out La Quinta lodges; I know what I can expect. However, this particular lodge is a bad apple. When I drove up to check in, there was a police car at the front door. I have no idea why that police officer was there; however, it may have been an indicator.
So, what are the problems with this Hwy 19 North facility.

The breakfast facility: The food was very good, a wide variety, appealing, abundant; if anything, above average. So, what was the problem? The dining room was so over-crowded to the point that it was disgusting. I stood in the dining room along a food counter. It was almost elbow to elbow with fellow lodgers. One fellow bumped into me and said that he was sorry. It was not his problem; the problem was that the room was small, designed to comfortably hold some possible 25 people while some 50 or 60 people were attempting to obtain food and then find a place to sit. THE PLACE WAS A MAD HOUSE. Kids were running here and there. Customers were elbow elbow along the food counters. One lady was picking up cheese slices with her fingers, by hand. Why not use the food tongs? Because the abundant slices of cheese stuck together. She figured that the best way to obtain individual slices was to pick the cheese mass up in her one hand and pull off slices with the other.
On arrival, one group of travelers had finished their breakfast and were talking. The conversation was loud, the room was small. I thought of going to the desk, to management --- but you see, there was the problem. This was a structural management failure; the room was too small, the crowd using the room was far to large.

I like La Quinta lodges; I expect a certain level of quality. When I did not get that level, I found other problems.
1. A cigarette snubbed out on a second level hallway. The hallway was less than clean, so why not deposit a used cigarette on the floor. Logical, I guess.
2. A second floor floor-entry-lock that opened irregularly. I obtained a new key. Then a maintenance man helped me. He indicated the nature of the problem; he showed me a secret, how to open the lock.
3. Insects floating on the water, the spa, the hot tub.
4. Paper napkins blowing in the wind near the pool.
5. A noisy room air conditioner.
6. A sense of unclean conditions as I began to evaluate the area.
7. When I went to check out, the attendant was on the telephone for over 5 minutes taking a room reservation. I held up my room number, in silence, pointed to it. She did not hang up; she multi-tasked, printed a receipt for me to sign. I signed and got out of there. That night, I stayed at another La Quinta at another Florida location. That second location was excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Clearwater Central? Share your experiences!