“We were treated like royalty!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Hudson, Florida
“We were treated like royalty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort in Clearwater, FL. Every aspect of our stay exceeded our expectations from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out. When we arrived I mentioned to Jane, our check in representative, that we were celebrating both our wedding anniversary and New Year's Eve. We then put our luggage in our room and went to dinner in one of the hotel restaurants. When we returned to our room we found a nice bottle of champagne in an ice bucket with two glasses. There was a card from Jane with best wishes for our anniversary. I have stayed in many, many hotels in my lifetime (some were luxury resorts) but I have NEVER had any of them demonstrate this type of kindness! Later I inquired about getting a small refrigerator delivered to my room and when the representative learned that I needed it for storing prescription eye drops which needed to be refrigerated, he waived the normal $5/night charge and gave it to me for free! We forgot to make New Year's Eve reservations in the main hotel restaurant (Rusty's) but they were willing to work us in anyway, although it was going to be a wait. Instead, we inquired about an alternative local restaurant and not only were we referred to an excellent one, but the hotel desk called ahead so that a table was waiting for us when we got there! We ordered breakfast to be delivered to our room on New Year's Day and it arrived on the specified time, hot and delicious! Try the spinach omelet - excellent! I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is squeaky clean and very beautiful. All the staff are friendly, courteous, and willing to please. I bought a banana and a bag of chips in the hotel convenience shop and when I got back to my room I found that the salesclerk had put a folded paper napkin in the bag for me to use when I had my snack. Who would have thought of that? The hotel is located right on the beach just a few steps from the sand. Oh, did I mention the bed and pillows were soooooo comfortable? No morning backache! You can't go wrong staying here.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are more pricey, but being budget minded we stayed in what they called the "pa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Your comments were very gratifying as making sure our guests’ experience is memorable is our main goal. We are very proud of our associates; they truly care and enjoy that they are able to have the ability to add those extras touches that make you feel like royalty. They know it is important to pay attention to details. I have shared your comments with Jane and the appropriate manager. I am sure Jane will be pleased that her efforts made the difference. I am disappointed that you were not able to enjoy New Years Eve in Rusty’s Bistro. I am pleased that they found you an alternative place to dine. Our “Sweet Sleeper” bed and pillows are designed for a restful sleep which is needed when you are away from home. We do hope you will return for another visit in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The staff at all levels are excellent from bellmen, front desk, bar/restaurant staff, housekeeping to management and clearly interested in making your stay great. Thank you for this hospitality, it really does make a difference. The pool and grounds are beautifully kept. They also have a private beach area, which leads out to the main beach front. This section of Clearwater/Sand Key is made up of hotels and condo's which gets you away from crowds of Clearwater beach. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and the Jolly Trolley (local transit) stops in front of the hotel ( which will take you into Clearwater or surrounding Indian Rocks and area). They are in the process of upgrading common areas and rooms. A few suggestions for next round of property renovations: Upgrade bathroom area (the shower heads are very low-cruise ship height), offer guests free Wi-Fi access in room (this lacking amenity really makes a guest feel nickel and dimed when charged a premium, update antiquated guest laundry machines. Further upgrades, will bring this great property back up and competing with the best!

Room Tip: The hotel will offer bay view or ocean facing rooms. Indicate preference to avoid disappointment.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize our outstanding associates. They truly enjoy going above and beyond to make your stay special. I concur that the internet is something most all guests require nowadays. It is one of our standards to have a fee in place however just recently we have modified this in a small way and all internet in the lobby or The Mainstay Tavern The Link @ Sheraton experienced with Microsoft (the Link) is provided free of charge. This may be a step in the direction of providing it complimentary in all guestrooms but for now it remains as a fee based service. We do enjoy being on the Island of Sand Key as it is so very tranquil here yet just minutes away from the action of Clearwater Beach. I want to thank you for sharing your comments with us as it is very important for us to hear the voice of our customer. I can assure you your comments will be shared so that improvements can be made.
Rochester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We traveled for our bi-annual Christmas family trip and spent 4 days at Sand Key. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make our visit enjoyable. Two staff members in particular, Ken in the bar and Roberta in Rusty's were EXCEPTIONAL. They truly know the meaning of hospitality. Ken brought a toy over for our 16 month old son and Roberta gave us great local recommendations.

The resort itself is in excellent condition. We were very pleased with the accommodations in the three guest rooms that we had as well as the public facilities. I would definitely recommend to others and look forward to returning in the future. Thanks so much!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
I am so pleased that your trip was as anticipated. All our associates genuinely enjoy making your stay a memorable experience. I have shared your comments with the associates named, and their managers. Ken and Roberta truly enjoy the interaction with our guests. Thank you for letting us be part of your Holiday. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to your next visit.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I attended a conference here in October, although I stayed at a friends apartment. On lunch breaks I enjoyed the restaurants specials in a take out box and to go sodas so I could lay out at the pool. Pool and beach were gorgeous. Staff was nice. I would like to go back for vacation. The town was a lot of fun at night.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are very pleased that your conference brought you to the Sheraton Sand Key and this area. We will look forward to your vacation visit. October is truly the perfect weather and this area becomes very tranquil. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Checking out tomorrow - Room was great, staff helping with the check in said we could find out if we could extend our stay, then decided to just not remember that they mentioned that we could inquire an extension, bluntly with her Santa hat says “ Nope, we are sold out” – just rude and condescending. Strange how some got an upgrade with staff discounted rooms, we booked with air miles, and were told a definite NO for upgrades. Seems they are bias and discriminate depending upon what culture the people are. No refrigerator, no microwave, small bathroom, too much noise from surrounding rooms. The guy taking our luggage up was gracious, so were the other guest services staff, also the restaurant downstairs. The staff at the Reception may need to treat people better. Will not generalize, just the lady with the Santa hat, needs a refresher course in knowing how to politely inform people. Loved the location, will stay again; though wish all rooms have a fridge the next time we visit. Every hotel we stay has a fridge, so did not really ask if this room had it, or would not have stayed. Thank you, love Clearwater and this area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We are sincerely pleased that you choose the Sheraton Sand Key for your stay, the location is lovely … thank you. I have forwarded your concerns on to the appropriate department; they will address the issue with the Front Desk Attendant, and we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. That is definitely not the genuine service we strive to deliver. Please be assured we would have upgraded you at your request if possible. You will find at many resorts these charges such as for refrigerators are included in a nightly resort fee. We have opted not to do that and only charge for usage should the guest so choose. We are now working on a project to have refrigerators in most of the rooms sometime in 2014. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you.
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Check in was quick and easy and our room was on the beach/tennis court side with an awesome view. Room was clean and very comfortable - only complaint was no fridge in the room, which we like to have for drinks, especially on a beach vacation.
The hotel is located on the beach but it is a little jaunt to the actual water. Not really a big deal to us, as most hotels do not sit directly on the beach anyway. The beach is FULL of shells and your kids will love finding them here. We brought home 3 bags full - small and large. You can find them all over, not just in the early morning like some beaches. Pool area is very nice, with a little snack bar/bar available. Pool is deep - 4' - 8 1/2' and I did not see a children's pool - which was fine for us.
Restaurants and room service were both very good and service was above usual. We would definitely stay here again. Within walking distance to a small strip mall, with a convenience store and some souvenir shops. Will need to take a trolley or cab to Pier 60, which is very close, but too far to walk for most - especially over a very long bridge. Probably one of the best beach locations for a hotel as far as I could tell. Most are not directly on the beach and some back up to the bay and not the ocean.

Room Tip: Be sure to sign up as a Starwood Preferred Guest on the Sheraton website (free) to get a better ocea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. I hope many happy memories were made; I enjoyed hearing about those mornings on the beach shelling and finding different treasures daily along the shoreline, it is so peaceful and fun for the children. I hope you also had the occasion to enjoy a beautiful sunset or two. At this time you can request a refrigerator in your room for a small daily charge. You will find at many resorts these charges are included in a nightly resort fee. We have opted not to do that and only charge for usage should the guest so choose. We are now working on a project to have refrigerators in most of the rooms sometime in 2014. The beach is a little walk from the shoreline, it gives that island feeling. We hope we be your choice again on your next visit to the area.
Washington, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

You don't even have to leave the Resort. Our car was parked all week. We love this place. It has many restaurants and some shops. It has a beautiful pool that is You can stay by the pool or go to the beach. Absolutely Beautiful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Congratulations! May you share many sunrises and sunsets together. The beaches of Sand Key are very private; you can even find spots where you feel like you are on your own private Island. It is serene and the sunsets are beautiful a perfect setting for romantic memories to be made. We hope you will make a return visit in the future … Maybe an anniversary so you can add to those memories.

Been to Sheraton Sand Key Resort? Share your experiences!