“Great last minute” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 95 hotels in Clearwater
San Diego, California
“Great last minute”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked the hotel last minute, around 4pm for that Friday night stay. I was trying to decide where to stay, and by the time I made up my mind, I did not have too many options. However, I am glad I made the decision to stay here, especially because I had a toddler with me. Clean, family friendly, the guys at the pool were awesome. Free, plenty of parking. Service was pretty good. I had one of the older rooms, but I did have an ocean view, so it was worth it. Compared with other options in the area it was a really good deal for the money. The next day, I tried to extend my stay, and unfortunately it was sold out!! I should have booked two days from the start.. bad planning on my part. I wish it was closer to the beach.. Overall a great experience, will stay there again if I had the chance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We are pleased you made the decision to stay here. It is rewarding to know that we effectively met your expectations. Our beach has grown over the years as the sand that erodes from points south collect here due to the Jetty at Sand Key Park. It is beautiful, but does mean a longer walk to the water’s edge. We have had a very busy summer; I apologize for not having a room available so you could stay an extra day. We will look forward to your visit for a beach get away.

1,367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel was beautiful and very nicely kept and clean. However, the beach location was ok. I live on the Atlantic coast of FL and wasn't impressed when I walked out to the beach. But then explored the coast some more and would have preferred to stay a bit more north where all of the restaurants and shops are, over by the pier! The beaches there were actually a bit more enticing then they were behind the Sheraton. There are more places to walk if you find a hotel near the pier. My kids would've enjoyed it more too if things were a bit closer within walking distance of the Sheraton. Otherwise, it is nicely kept and the staff was friendly. No problems.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
This area is a perfect place to visit because it does offer something for everyone. The tranquil beaches of Sand Key, the action of Clearwater Beach, museums of St Petersburg and the list continues. Thank you for the nice comments on your hotel stay. Come back to the area and explore …
Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night as our last stop on our family vacation. It was a nice relaxing day after hitting the theme parks for 4 days. It is not a new hotel, but it was clean and well kept up. The staff was very friendly. I thought that the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were plenty big for 2 adults and 2 kids. We did not have any trouble with our shower and it had good water pressure. We did not pay for an ocean view and I'm glad that we didn't because the ocean was a good walk away and you could not sit out on your balcony and really hear the ocean. We had a bay view and it was very nice.

The beach is a good walk away. The day we went it was very windy so there was no one serving food or drinks; it was so windy you would not have wanted to try to eat anything on the beach. You do have to pay for an umbrella for $25/day (which includes 2 chairs and pads for the chairs) or you can just rent the chairs with pads for $8.00/day. The day we went there were not any events going on, so there were not any tents or anything on the beach. The beach was not crowded at all and it was very nice. There were more shells on the beach and in the water then what I was expecting, but my kids had a great time looking for shells.

We did not eat at the hotel. We went down to the pier 61 area to eat dinner and we ate breakfast at Maggie Mae's on our way out the next morning.

Overall it was a great stay at a clean hotel with great service with a great beach! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a great review. We are always pleased to hear that we succeeded in ensuring a pleasant stay. It is the perfect place to relax after four days at theme parks. We do hope you return in the future to enjoy some time without the wind and to have time to explore all our area has to offer.
Alpharetta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

room was overpriced and a little old. front desk agent was not very friendly with kids at check in. room had no refrigerator. i requested a different view and was declined. cabanas were not included. for $250 a night we had no breakfast included??!?!
do not waste your money here. stay at Pier house 60 in Clearwater beach!!

Room Tip: overpriced rooms. breakfast not included
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
It is our goal to provide excellent customer service. I apologize for the front desk agent, such behavior is obviously not our usual standard. We have noted your comments regarding the pricing of our hotel and services and we would like to advise you that our rates are very competitive with the same category hotels of the area. Please note that hotel room rates fluctuate depending on the level of business, seasonality and events in the area. Usually, during periods of low activities the rates may drop significantly. It is unfortunate that at the time of your request to be moved there were no other rooms available. The cabanas do not belong to the hotel. They are a concession, so we do not set the prices. We do ensure the prices are in line with other cabana concessions in the area.
Lackawanna, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our family had the best vacation ever thanks to this resort. I cannot say enough good things about our stay. Every member of their staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We planned on spending a lot of time traveling to different area restaurants for our meals but found the best food within this resort. The buffets at Rusty's were great! I had the extreme pleasure of meeting the owner, Mr. Kimball. Not only did he buy my family breakfast, he took the time out his busy day to talk with me and personally ask me about my stay. He even gave me his business card if I needed anything. This type of hospitality and service is hard to find these days but it can be found here. Thanks to everyone for making our vacation the best we ever had!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Russ Kimball is a very genuine person. He leads by example with his exemplary treatment of both our resort guests and our associates. This leadership makes the Sheraton Sand Key a very nice place to be. I am pleased that you enjoyed having your meals in the hotel. We have an award winning culinary staff in Rusty’s Bistro. Our Executive Chef ensures that we have a number of choices prepared with only fresh products in all of our food & beverage outlets. It sounds as if you had some memorable experiences, and I do hope you will return for another stay. I will pass on your comments
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Everything at SSK exceeded our expectations. I am giving it a 5 out of 5 as it exactly met our expectations for an upper-end resort hotel. Expansive parking, warm and welcoming attitudes, very nicely appointed, clean and fresh rooms and great dining experiences at Rusty's (have the eggs benedict for breakfast - you won't be disappointed - and the dinner menu is great).

For a lazy afternoon, drinks at the Poolside and Mainstay Bar, as well as access to the the pristine private beach, were just what the doctor ordered. The sand isn't quite the fine grained stuff some people might like, it is a little coarser, but who cares, the water is warm and crystal clear and we were fortunate enough to have dolphins in-shore, supported by diving pelicans. Quite a show!!

The resort is quite secluded, which we liked as we don't do the whole cacophony of being in the town center, but it is only a short 5 minute drive from the center of Clearwater, and around an hour from Tampa, Busch Gardens and the Florida Aquarium, etc.

All in all a very memorable holiday and the only downside I can really pinpoint is that we couldn't stay longer.

Thanks Sheraton!

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night in July for a Conference. Overall probably a 6 1/2 or 7 out of 10. It is not a new property but kept up well. Upon arrival there is plentiful, free parking. The hotel is a located in quiet area. Oddly, the beach itself is down a fairly far expanse of beach. This is not necessarily a negative as it's a relaxing walk down the beach from the hotel.

Kate at the Front Desk was quite helpful in assiting me to obtain a room on a high floor, a quiet room and an excellent view. I was told I would have to wait for 2-3 hours for such a room but I acquiesced as I was in a Conference lasting through the afternoon anyway. The room I obtained on the 8th floor was what I requested. Oddly, there were connecting inner rooms on both sides but I experienced no noise from any other room. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small. The sink was on the outside of the bathroom. The fixture head on the bathroom sink was incredibly annoying. It was one of those "flow restricting" device type of faucets. The fixture created such a small, concentrated flow that anytime I washed my hands a water spray went everywhere on the surface of the sink; very annoying and not conducive to relaxation. Also and unfortunately, there is no fan in the bathroom which would aid steam ventilation and white-noise at night.

The room size is average; not overly large or small. A family staying here, especially with small children, would probably want a suite.

On the upside, a problem with my room lock was quickly alleviated by Maintenance. The hotel bar, The Mainstay Tavern, had a good local IPA and otherwise good service. The room had a flatscreen TV with a good channel selection. The size of the pool was below average but I did not utilize the pool as I swam in the ocean. Overall not a great hotel but not bad. If I could get a good rate I would stay here again. The above average rating is a slightly generous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Katie is an example that our associates truly care and do their best to ensure that you enjoy your time with us. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed the beaches and the views. Through each comment we receive, both positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is truly appreciated and I will be sure to share. Watch the Sheraton Sand Key Facebook, we post when special rates are available.

Been to Sheraton Sand Key Resort? Share your experiences!