“Excellent Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 95 hotels in Clearwater
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My daughter and I booked a stay at Amber Tides last March for spring break. When we arrived we were told that the room they had for us was under construction, but that they would put us up in their "sister" motel down the street called "Sta' n Pla'". At first I was very upset, as the setting at Amber Tides is so quant and homey. But, Ulli made it all ok and we ended up having a great time. There was construction going on at this motel as well, and we were compensated with a free night's stay. Ulli is excellent and I would recommend staying at either Amber Tide or the Sta' N Pla'

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We arrived and were pleased to find an old Florida motel in the middle of a barron treeless hotel/motel district. The pool was a great place to talk with other guests and you can grill your dinner right on the pool deck. Lots of trees and shade by the pool. Ulli was easy to deal with and when I wasn't happy with the bed in my room, although the motel was full he made arrangements to put us in a motel, the Sta n Pla just a block down the street, nice clean rooms and a great pool for sunbathing. He will get all my business when I stay in Clearwater Beach. I don't recommend this motel for travelers who expect 5 star service or have mobility issues. Great for families with children. Drive south to Belleair Beach or Belleair about 10 minutes away for restaurants with good food and reasonable prices

Room Tip: Ask Ulli to show you a room before you pay for it, he has different styles, or check their web site...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was probably the most interesting place I have ever stayed. First of all, you come up on the place and you notice that there is an abandoned, dilapidated motel right next door. I don't know if they are planning to tear it down or what but it's creepy. My friend and I went to the small office area to check in but no one was there. There was a note to call someone, but when we did no one answered. There were several keys laying on the desk for different rooms. We basically took some of the keys and checked each room out on our own before settling on one. Then we went to the beach. The whole time I was wondering if what we did was okay. We hadn't even given our names or a credit card. The room was okay, nothing fancy. There was a small kitchen with an old, dirty fridge/freezer. The bathroom was tiny and everything was pretty dated. There was a window air conditioning unit which worked pretty well. The pool looked okay, but I never went in. We didn't see the owner until we were leaving for the airport. He rides up on a bike and says okay, well I guess I need your credit card. Really weird. What if we didn't run into him?? Oh well, like I said location was great and for the money I guess it was fine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a really old and worn out the x-owner Ulli the German owner told me he would refund my money if the bathroom wasn't wide enough for my walker and it wasn't I couldn't even get in for the old sink sticking out to close to the entry of the bathroom. I told him I had back surgery and needed a room to be able to use my walker and there was nothing open after he took my credit card on the phone I begged for 8 hrs to get another place but there was no offer for what he promised. I had to stay and go to a local place to use the bathroom. I was out by 6 a.m. the following morning. It was really hot and the pool was not safe because there was a set of rust poles laying there and part still sticking up out of the ground to injure someone. Did not have clean sheets made the maid change before I could sleep there. Run from this dump.

Room Tip: don't stay here at all unless you don't care what you may suffer after he get's your mon...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ULLI Z, Owner at Amber Tides Motel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
I spoke to Vivianself on the phone for over 30 minutes trying to address all her complaints. I also spoke with Ulli our manager and our cleaning staff to get the whole story. Vivianself called and requested a large or handicap room which was not available at the time. She was told by Ulli that we do have a small efficiency available and Ulli did explain that the bathroom was small and might not be large enough for her walker. We do require a $100 deposit to hold the room but Ulli only took the credit card information without charging it per Vivianself request. Vivianself wanted to see the room before she committed to staying at our motel so no deposit was charged. Upon arrival Vivianself looked at the room and asked if there was any other rooms available. We offered a larger efficiency but she didnt take the room because it was to far from her car so we offered another room at our newly remodeled sister property called Sta n Pla which she didnt want to look at and accepted to stay in the small efficiency. Once in the room Vivianself asked our cleaning staff to change the sheets, clean the bathroom, and bleach the coffee pot because she wanted to personally see that it was being cleaned which we did even though everything was already cleaned prior to her arrival. Our Motel is a bit older like most mom and pop motels on clearwater beach but we strive ourselves on keeping our Motels to the highest cleaning standards. The rust pole that Vivian mentioned was from our pool ladder which was being repaired that day. Our rooms do not have central ac but do have large 10,000 - 12,000 BTU window units to cool the room. This size unit is sufficient and during summer months when tempatures can reach 95 degrees outside will bring the room to a comfortable 72-75 degrees.

In our conversation over the phone a few days after her check out Vivianself requested a refund but was not provided one because I feel that my staff did everything they could to make her happy and Vivianself had the opportunity to not stay at the motel once she saw the room.

We recommend that anyone reading this review take a look at our motel and if you are not satisfied with what you see than we will be more than happy to refund your deposit. We hope to see you soon!!
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed down the road in the sta n pla, as the amber tides was fully booked. It was fully refurbished the rooms are big and the pool was really nice, I wasn't keen on sunbathing by the road but then again I'm British and prudish!
Ulli was very nice, even lending us his tandem bicycle! Which we returned after 30 minutes as we had no balance!
It's not cheap but it is reasonably priced for the area. The location is great for everything.

• Stayed March 2012
Kettering, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My first stay at Amber Tides was June 27, 2012. My plans were to stay at Amber Tides for 3 nights then travel up the coast to Tarpon Bay for 3 nights . After checking in at the next hotel I called Ulli and asked if I could come back "home". If you want a sterile, updated place to stay do not stay at Amber Tides. Amber Tides is a small motel with lots of character and charm. Overall feeling of a little tropical paradise. The rooms are clean and no uninvited guests (bugs). The pool area is clean, not green and very relaxing. The tropical gardens make it feel very secluded from the "real" world.
All the staff worked very hard to keep grounds clean and the guests comfortable. I enjoyed my stay so much I returned with my friend again one month later! Thanks Ulli for your patience and hard work to make sure everyone that visits has a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hudson, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

pool was green at check inn landscape overgrown no frills i stay at lots mom pop style this one is on the way down hill the bathroom floor could have used a good cleaning the room needs some tlc sad you get to a hotel and have to walk down the rode to go for a swim

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Amber Tides Motel? Share your experiences!