“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed down the road in the sta n pla, as the amber tides was fully booked. It was fully refurbished the rooms are big and the pool was really nice, I wasn't keen on sunbathing by the road but then again I'm British and prudish!
Ulli was very nice, even lending us his tandem bicycle! Which we returned after 30 minutes as we had no balance!
It's not cheap but it is reasonably priced for the area. The location is great for everything.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kettering, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My first stay at Amber Tides was June 27, 2012. My plans were to stay at Amber Tides for 3 nights then travel up the coast to Tarpon Bay for 3 nights . After checking in at the next hotel I called Ulli and asked if I could come back "home". If you want a sterile, updated place to stay do not stay at Amber Tides. Amber Tides is a small motel with lots of character and charm. Overall feeling of a little tropical paradise. The rooms are clean and no uninvited guests (bugs). The pool area is clean, not green and very relaxing. The tropical gardens make it feel very secluded from the "real" world.
All the staff worked very hard to keep grounds clean and the guests comfortable. I enjoyed my stay so much I returned with my friend again one month later! Thanks Ulli for your patience and hard work to make sure everyone that visits has a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hudson, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

pool was green at check inn landscape overgrown no frills i stay at lots mom pop style this one is on the way down hill the bathroom floor could have used a good cleaning the room needs some tlc sad you get to a hotel and have to walk down the rode to go for a swim

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Amber Tides is a great place to stay when you visit Clearwater Beach. The rooms are clean, each has a small kitchen, private bathroom and either two queen beds or one king bed. The beds were very comfortable in our room, #2. The place is only about 5 minutes by walk from the beach; it is very conveniently located. It is very close to the most popular bar in Clearwater – the Shephard’s and a restaurant called the Frenchy’s Grill. The owner of the motel, Ulli, a German gentleman is very nice and hospitable. He makes sure your stay is as enjoyable as possible. I would strongly recommend this place to anyone, who seeks comfortable but no luxurious accommodation, affordable, in a great location with a very friendly owner. There is also a nice pool in the middle of the complex, lots of palm trees and tables with chairs to enjoy outdoor dining. I would say this motel is ideal for young people, a couple or friends who just need a place to sleep in. The rooms also have TVs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the swimming pool, so you won’t be awaken by people swimming and talking out...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Amber Tides in the spring and chose this motel based upon many positive TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that it was cheaper than a number of other places on Clearwater Beach. During and after our trip, I repeatedly discussed with my husband the fact that the motel has a lot of potential........BUT it needs a lot of TLC.

I do not know if the owner, Ulli, has any help with cleaning and maintenance. This could be part of the problem. Upon arrival, we noticed that our sheets had not been cleaned. There was hair on the pillowcases. We told Ulli what we found, and after leaving for a while and then arriving back to our room, we noticed that he had only changed out the pillowcases. (Of course, we assumed the full sheet set would be changed.) My husband and I, not wanting to be pesky, slept on towels for our two-night stay. (We were able to grab more towels out of the laundry room.) We realized later that we should have asked again for a new, clean set of sheets. Clean sheets are a MUST. We do not expect perfection from places we stay, but we definitely expect clean sheets. I do not know how these sheets did not get replaced after the previous guest. This was not acceptable.

My husband and I stayed in a one-bedroom efficiency (king bed). The apartment could use quite a few updates. The bathrooms were an outdated pink color. This is not a deal-breaker for us, but the fact that the apartment could use a deep clean is more of an issue. The carpet had been around for a long time. The rugs in the bathroom were soiled. There was a layer of thick dust on the lower shelf of a coffee table. An additional comment on bathroom is that the shower head was very low.

On a more positive note, many reviewers mentioned that the pool and grounds are like an oasis. Like I said, Amber Tides has a lot of potential. The pool area and grounds are lush with tropical trees and plants, and it is cute. It seemed quiet around the pool area from what we could tell. We saw other pools in the area, and many lacked foliage and could be seen right from the road. Amber Tides pool area has a cozy feel to it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

When we got there, the owner Ulli, want so nice! Helpful, generous and accomodating.
At this Motel, you can fine BBQ, bikes, pool, even chairs that were left there...so when you arrive by plane, you a very happy to have them to go to the beach (walking about 7 minutes!)
No it is not the Hilton but it is not what we were looking for...Something just so cute and were we feel like family!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Nice little Floridian motel with tropical landscaping. The owner/manager was very nice and accomodating. Nice clear and clean pool with toys for the kids. Plenty of BBQ grills, tables and chairs. Rooms could use a deep cleaning but nothing to lose sleep over. The motel doesnt appear to have ever been updated and was probably built in the 50's or 60's. The only real downfall is that the windows / walls are very thin and when you are in the room you can literally hear people talking and swimming around the pool. Its not a bad thing unless your trying to sleep. They got those old paper thin turn crank windows that don't really seal shut. Also, window unit AC units. Something is going on with the phones there?? Every time i tried to call out it said "all lines busy??" They have flatscreen TV's, free WIFI, and plenty of parking. It is a really nice little place for the money and the location is great. I will be back.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Amber Tides Motel? Share your experiences!