“Location is about it has going for it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Westmont Inn

You added Westmont Inn to your Saves list
Westmont Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   355 South Gulfview Boulevard, Clearwater, FL 33767 (Formerly Ritz Resort Motel)   |
Ranked #25 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Kissimmee Fl
“Location is about it has going for it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is centrally located and close to beach. The hotel is old and is in need of renovation.
Air condition was held up by a brace outside room - a table was in the closet dont know where it was suppose to go because there is no living room. Did find a spider under the sheets even though it seemed dead. Ritz is definitely not the right name for this motel. Even though you have 2 double beds only 2 guests per room woudnt even let us pay for an extra.

Room Tip: If you want location this is it and only it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have to say, I enjoyed my single night stay here, if only because I felt as if I had entered some sort of timewarp and was being afforded the opportunity to experience 1970's American motel accommodation. I really did like the quirkiness of the place. Here are some highlights:

- Pink painted walls with illuminated sign
- Chaotic-looking reception area with dubious painting of random nautical scene
- Incongruously attractive and charming young lady behind the desk
- Man with a mullet haircut and muscle vest sitting on the balcony drinking PBR from a can
- unusual '1970s motel' smell in the room (nothing offensive, just ... unique)
- pink painted wall motif continued in my room
- Small circular table with plastic placemats (with picture of a pineapple)
- plastic chair
- wall power socket inexplicably linked to the main light switch
- Wonderfully eccentric guest services booklet with page saying "NO REFUNDS" and other lengthy descriptions of how things work (or should work) in Clearwater world.

The accommodation is average at best, but it's right beside the beach and I was able to roll out of bed and into the sea for an early morning swim. It's not luxurious by any stretch of the imagination, but you definitely feel a bit of the owner's personality shining through, and in this world of hotel chains, that can't be bad, can it?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Westmont Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for nice review from Iceland. Pineapple is sign of welcome, plastic chairs in room are for sitting outside on balcony - not that we have plastic furniture for room you understand. Every room here is different, all colors blue, yellow, white, green and yes pink. We try and make fun for beach atmosphere.. Big chain hotel - all same look, here we try & make more like home.
" Incongruously attractive and charming young lady behind the desk" Must of been my daughter.

Rules & Helpful information book, we get many compliments on. Here on beach you have open can of beer it cost you 136.00 ticket, and police do not care you did not know. Your car be towed if you think you found free place to park anymore, cost you 120.00 so we put all this info in book so our guest not have bad experience here on vacation. Plus where to eat, go fishing, fun things for kids etc... You come back anytime and I have nice bottle wine when you show up. You call me direct for best rate - William Shatner on Priceline not negotiate anything, only I can.
Odessa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Some friends and I stayed for a night and really liked it. It is an older hotel but the staff is very friendly and they do what they can. It is not a luxury place but it is perfect for a beach getaway. The location is nice and close to everything. It is not right on the beach but it is across the street and you have a view of both the beach and a canal. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Westmont Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you young man for nice review, you & friends are welcome back any time and I have nice bottle of wine for you. Please call motel directly and ask for me so I give you best price. When you book online those companies charge me commission - you book direct with me so I can give you best deal. William Shatner not negotiate anything - only I can.
O Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The reviews of this place were too nice..... For lack of a better word it was a dump. End tables meant for indoor use were used outside, clutter around the ice machine. Inside was so outdated, mattress was old and lumpy as well the pillows. Linens (bed & bath) were dingy and tattered and we had one washcloth in our room. Blood spots on the wall near the bathroom, huge dust balls, moldy bathroom wall and the bath mat that should have been white was not. Have no idea why they used so many doilies to decorate with I have not seen one of those since the my grandma had her house back in the 70's. It was just gross and had we needed to stay more nights we would have left. The location however was great and short walk to the beach were we spent most of our time that day. The people running the show and the pool were nice. They seriously need to invest some money and this place could be a gem! I thought this place would be better, had I known I would have gone to one of the places on Sand Key that I have been to before that are fabulous.
FYI... I have photos but for some reason they will not load on the site.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Westmont Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
I have investigated your complaints. At no time - except for your writing this review - did you bring this to my attention. While minor, if you had I would of responded by providing you with a nicer room. I simply do not believe or agree about huge dust balls and cleanliness. Our maid has been here for 16 years, Many customers like the hand made lace doilys and lace curtins she has made. Expensive fabric special order from Europe. You are correct these not sold in US.

The faucet is brass and shows some pitting from the salt air. Not funk. Plastic with fake chrome look break easy. As for the spot by base board next to tub where people walk out and drip all over floor the drywall absorbed water and our maintainece person has already fixed this.

You stayed 2 nights 2 adults/ 2 children in room #27 for much less then it would cost to stay for 1 night at either Marriott or Sheraton Resorts. ( only 2 places on Sand Key ) They are nice places. I could speak with owner here about getting million dollar loan to buy all new furnishings etc... as you suggest we do. But then I assure you we would not be the only motel on Gulf of Mexico Clearwater Beach under 100.00 a night. Most all our customers hope we do not change our old fashioned European way. Sorry you not happy, but you not give me chance to either. Hyatt 1 block away is brand new, but even they have complaints about bed comfort and cleanliness etc... After 20 years in Motel Manager position bed comfort will always be issue as no motel or hotel bed is or will ever be as comfy as bed at home you are use to. But we do try - most all Mattress here are Serta quality and most not more then few years old.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I checked out of this motel yesterday a day earlier than originally planned but glad I did. On arrival I was disappointed that the motel was very old fashioned looking with very basic amenities. All the furniture was old and the two double beds were very small. I did think that for $85 per night there would at least be hooks to hang wet bath towels instead of draping them all around the room. The sink pedestal in the bathroom had a huge crack from the floor to the basin which did not look safe. On the plus side the location is excellent and one particular staff member 'Casey' was amazing, he is so helpful and friendly - he is a huge assett. Two days before I was due to check out some other guests who were staying there decided to have a pool party at 1pm, this was ok at first but started to get very noisy very quickly especially as more and more of their friends joined in. The noise was really loud and we went back to our room at 1.30pm, they were all swearing and drinking and I did not want my son to listen to it.
3pm I decided to book a night elsewhere as I had had enough, by 7pm the noise was out of control and there were broken glass bottles on the pool deck and in the swimming pool. I felt really sorry for Casey who was trying to deal with new guests arriving, complaints and the selfish rowdy lot. I knew I had made the right decision to check out early as the next morning the guests who had been partying were standing out on the main walkway swearing. There are many other hotels/motels of reasonable price along the beachline, i was just unlucky.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Westmont Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for feedback. I am aware of the situation with problem guests - I should have asked them to leave earlier. My oversight. This is also why we close the pool at night. KC had trusted a guest to close the pool and they took advantage of and abused the situation. Sad shame - but few spoil a good thing for all others. As for sink this upset me to see. Sink is not even year old. Upon investigation it looks like someone fat sat on it - crack ceramic. Alex - maintenance has on list now to replace AGAIN... and then people wonder why we must charge rates - people stupid and destroy things.
I wish you come back sometime with new family member, I give you 1st night free on your next stay - plus bottle of wine. Veronica
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was not our first and not our last time staying at the Ritz Resort Motel. The staff is friendly, the rooms are SPOTLESS, the view is fabulous and the price is great. The location is perfect. Right across the street from the beach, and of walking distance to everything clearwater beach. What else can you ask for? My family and I had a wonderful stay, and I would most definitely recommend this place to anyone! Thank you Pani Weroniko for everything!
-Halina and family

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
You most welcome & thank you for sharing nice review. It is true we have many, many peoples like you that return again & again, repeat customers is how we have built this motel business. Next visit you be sure and call me directly. I give you nice room and good bottle wine.
Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Wonderful! We stayed at the Ritz Resort Motel this past weekend and had a fabulous time. The room was very comfortable and really clean. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that we had a great experience. The gentleman that checked us in was kind enough to ask my 7 year old daughter what she wanted to do on the trip and then let her borrow a mask/snorkel for the duration of our stay. He also provided us with suggestions on restaurants and coupons/drink specials for the area. The location was wonderful. We had a fabulous view of the sunset and were literally across the street from the beach and next door to a couple of restaurants. We can't wait to go back to the Ritz.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RitzResortMgr, General Manager at Westmont Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Nice family - you welcome return anytime. I have bottle of wine for parents Please call motel directly and ask for me, so I can make sure you family get nice room.

Been to Westmont Inn? Share your experiences!