“Apparently "Do Not Disturb" means "Housekeeping, please bang on my door"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Apparently "Do Not Disturb" means "Housekeeping, please bang on my door"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night while in Clearwater for a meeting. The hotel was good - consistent with the Marriott and Fairfield Inn brands but I had two issues.

1) Like many guests, I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door so I wouldn't be disturbed, particularly in the morning as I wanted to sleep in and then get some work done. However, the sign didn't prevent housekeeping from banging on my door at 10:00 AM to see if I was in the room. I can understand if it was past the check out time, but I still had two hours to go.

2) The A/C didn't get too cold. It wasn't very hot out as Tropical Storm Debby was still in the area and even when cranked down to 60 degrees and the fan on high for six hours, the room never really cooled down. If I had to guess, I'd say it didn't drop below 72.

The staff were great (except for the one ill-trained housekeeper) and the breakfast spread was one of the best I have ever experienced in a Fairfield Inn. The windows opened up for fresh air, which seems to be rare in hotels these days, and one of them didn't have a safety latch so I could open it all the way; I'm sure it will be replaced when they notice it was missing but I enjoyed having the window wide open. I didn't use the WiFi for security reasons but the wired connection was consistent with most hotels (slow, but tolerable for a night).

I would stay here again if the price was right, but to be honest, if I wasn't a Marriott Rewards member I would look at other options.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor and facing the front of the hotel have a nice little view of the water.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to hear that our staff was great as well as our breakfast options. I do sincerely apologize for anyone knocking on your door with a Do Not Disturb sign and have addressed this with our entire staff. I read and understood your assessment of the a/c issue during Tropical Storm Debby that it was not cooling below 72 degrees; this can be corrected by replacing that particular a/c unit. I especially appreciate your mention of the guest room window locks, as this is a safety feature to have these locked at all times, we did address this and all of our windows are confirmed to be within compliance. Again thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will visit us again if you are in the Clearwater area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

We traveled with a baby and a toddler and the hotel was perfect for us. It is a great location, a short drive to area airports, Tampa (we visited the zoo and aquarium) , Clearwater and St Petersburg beaches. Hotel staff is professional, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and was very good (quality and selection). Having the swimming pool to cool down after a long day was great for the children. It is close to a mall and a supermarket (convenient to get diapers, fruit, etc) , fast food restaurants and a great Chinese buffet. We stayed for 7 days and would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor regarding our property. Thank you for mentioning your enjoyment of our breakfast options as we try hard to please a wide range of guests. I appreciate and have passed on your kind comments regarding our property. I hope that you will visit us again when you’re in the Clearwater area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stayed for three nights while visiting family. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Check in was fast. Good breakfast with hot and cold food. Large selection. Rooms spacious and quiet. House keeping kept us clean and tidy.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor regarding our property. We love to hear all feedback, so we can ensure the highest quality experience for all of our Guests. I appreciate and have passed on your kind comments regarding our property. I hope that you will visit us again when you’re in the Clearwater area.
Chestertown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at this property over Memorial Day weekend. The location was convenient for traveling into Tampa or to the beaches of Clearwater. Downtown is inundated with Christian Scientologists....looks like their headquarters! There were no shops or restaurants to speak of, so you may want to just head for the beach area. Sand key was lovely. Traffic over the bridge to the beaches was very slow and crowded, but probably typical holiday/weekend. We moved around to several rooms before we settled. The rooms initially reserved had a musty smell, wet carpeting and a several were not vacuumed! The manager, although unapologetic, made sure that we had a properly cleaned room. However, on awakening we noticed that the carpet near the a/c unit by the window was completely soaked. You could actually hear the a squishing sound if you walked anywhere near there, even next to the desk area. It appears that the unit(s) were not properly vented when installed. When the a/c clicked off throught the night you could hear it dripping non-stop. We didn't hassle with moving to yet another room and just reported the problem when we checked out. I believe this is the reason for other complaints about odors! I can't imagine how they can get the carpets completely dry in between guests. The bath towel racks are located in an unreachable location in the bathrooms. Make sure that you move them to a handy location before your bath/shower! At the very least, they could be on a rack in the tub area. Mattress was just a little stiff. The breakfast on the weekend is pretty much microwavable products, a tad disappointing. They did have the homemade waffle machine which didn't produce the same waffle texture that we've had in the past. The selection for the morning was just adequate. On Monday, they did offer eggs and such, so maybe a more substantial breakfast is not offered on the weekends when the hotel is busier. This hotel did not have the friendliest staff at the desk. I think the place needs a little more attention to detail. Being long time Marriott members, we understand that these properties are more family oriented in pricing and so forth, however, they should be properly cleaned and maintained. Breakfast could have been a more satfisfactory effort, what with the competition in pricepoint being Hampton and Holiday Inn Express. We would not stay at this location again. We were definitely disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear TerrapinTravelers,

Thank you so much for the honest feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We take all guest comments very seriously and consider it an opportunity to improve our service levels. I sincerely apologize that you were affected by our recent issues with our air conditioners. During a particularly hot, humid period the machines developed excessive ice which then melted and seeped into the rooms. We have addressed this by cleaning and more steeply pitching the units towards the outside. Also the carpets have been dried out and professionally cleaned. I also appreciate your feedback on our breakfast. We do have a rotating menu, so it varies from day to day. Regardless, we want the quality of all breakfast offerings to exceed standards.
Plainview, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here for the second time recently during a holiday week. The room was very clean and the staff is always courteous. I complained about an odor on the second floor and maintenance was there within 3 minutes. The breakfast buffet was also impressive and the staff dealt well with the large amount of families. It is centrally located to shopping and dining and is highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
FFISGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We booked the Fairfield for one night as we were going to a concert in downtown Clearwater. The grounds were beautiful, with children playing in the large lawn. We were welcomed efficiency by reception and the night manager and our room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very large with a shower and had a jacuzzi with 1/2 glass doors that could open to the room.

I was about the noise concerned because of the traffic I could see outside from the highway but frankly, it was one of the quietest rooms I've had in a while and the bed was comfrotable. The room had a lovely large chair for just relaxing. (This is so important to me.)

As we left for our drive to downtown Clearwater we immediately passed a large shopping/restaurant area with restaurants of every kind.

In the morning, we went down for breakfast and the fruit salad was fresh with a lot of fresh papaya in it. That was a wonderful touch as they are in season. There were whole wheat bagels (my choice) but apparently the biscuits and gravy were excellent as well.

I will stay here again if my travel plans require it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive response for our property. I have passed along your comments to our staff. We hope to see you again when your back in the Clearwater area.
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

My family stayed here from March 28 through April 1. Bed linen was dirty upon check-in. Mattress was extremely uncomfortable. They tried to build it up by putting padding underneath the mattress cover, but that made it worse. The chair was stained, the carpet worn. Breakfast the first day had scrambled eggs, but that was the only day that did. Rest of the days had sausage gravy and biscuits...gross. The pool looked clean until you stepped into it...green slime on the surfaces. And to top it all off, there was an offensive odor that permeated the hotel at different times of the day...kind of a sewer smell. Several guests asked at the front desk about it and they pretended to not notice. Why the over use of febreeze everywhere?? Would not come back here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
FFISGM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Keepingitreal558,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some valuable feedback about our hotel. I am reviewing all of the cleanliness issues you described with our executive housekeeper so that we can make sure they’re addressed without delay. Also, we will collect some feedback from our guests on our rotating breakfast menu. Our menu, which features different items from day to day, is selected to exceed Marriott brand standards, and we want our guests to notice that effort. Biscuits and Gravy has been a popular menu item on the weekends, but if the choices are not being enjoyed by the majority of our guests we will certainly make some changes. On behalf of our entire hotel team, I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and encourage you to come back and try us again. I guarantee you’ll have a great stay.

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater? Share your experiences!