“A Fine Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“A Fine Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We arrived here at 3PM on Sunday the 7th of April. The Check-in and reception lobby is small and on the side of the building opposite the beach. Staff are there to assist opening doors and greeting you and answering any questions before you approach the check-in desks.

The first (and most significant) event we encountered was our room was not ready to occupy. The young man behind the desk was extremely apologetic and told us it would be ready for us by 4PM. He told us to park our vehicle in the hotel parking lot (more on that in a moment) and we could have a drink in the pool bar on the 8th floor. This seemed reasonable so we headed off.

Parking: The hotel has a 7 story parking garage in its base - the hotel accommodation starts on the 8th floor. This in itself seems ideal but the parking garage offers public parking as well as parking for the hotel, presumably for the beach. This is probably mandated by the city to gain permission to build. Having the parking in the building is very convenient but has its drawbacks. On weekends the garage is very full. My wife is disabled and we were unable to find a disable space anywhere in the garage. While this was an inconvenience, it was no big deal. The interesting part was getting to the pool bar from the garage. The elevators accessing the garage are on the beach side of the hotel. The elevators for the hotel are on the inland side. So, follow me on this. From our car we took the elevator down to the lobby level of the hotel (we' d had to park on the 6th level), we walked the entire length of the hotel to the front balcony which overlooks the check-in lobby turned left and took the hotel elevator up to the 8th floor to then walk back to the beach side of the hotel to get to the bar - whew! That is pretty much the drill whenever you wish to go out in your car to shop, eat, etc. All that and $16 a day for the privilege.

Back to Check-in: At 4PM I went down to the lobby (I'm not going to need the gym!) and was immediately asked if I could be helped (a different individual). I explained that we were up in the bar waiting for our room to be ready to occupy. She checked on the computer (they always do) and told me the bad news - room's not ready yet. I pointed out to her that her hotel has a 3PM check-in guarantee and after conceding my point offered to give me drink vouchers good in the pool bar. I balked at this and she went 'in the back' to talk to a supervisor who actually came out and apologized and promptly gave me a $50 credit on my bill. We got in our room at 4:30PM.

The Room: I had requested an accessible room with a roll-in shower to accommodate my wife and I must say the room was nothing short of remarkable. A 2 room suite on the inland side with balconies looking north and east. We could watch everything happening on the pier as well as both the sunrise and sunset. The entrance room had a full kitchenette, living room with pullout queen size sofa, and full bathroom. The bedroom had two further Queen size beds and a bathroom we could play basketball in. It had a full bath with whirlpool, a roll in shower and dual sinks. I've got to say it folks - this was one of the best rooms I have ever occupied. The fact that it also catered to my wife's condition was just the icing on the cake.

The Hotel: Very nicely appointed with large open expanses. Everything is easily gotten to and it is very accessible friendly.

Dining: With so many outstanding places to eat in the immediate vicinity we never felt the need to indulge in the hotel's dining facilities.

Finally: For all the accommodation and service we were provided i will certainly be returning to this establishment again. Baring in mind it has its foibles, its location, the surrounding area, and the setting all lend themselves to making this a very classy hotel.

Suggestions to Management: The hotel's prices, when considered in the context of its location and class, are quite reasonable. I do, however, feel that you would do well to roll the extra costs into the overall room pricing. The resort fee and parking fee are nothing more than a point of irritation for customers who already feel they are paying a premium to come to your establishment. Charging a separate fee for internet, bottled water in the room, beach access and various other items detailed in the room literature would be much more palatable if, for a little higher price, customers believed these items were gratis. Parking. I was interested to note that patrons to SHOR get to park free and Valet service is complimentary... Does this picture look wrong to anyone else???

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear djajr_11,

Thank you for sharing detailed feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time as our guest. Our associates will be recognized for exceeding your expectations with regards to the excellent level of service you experienced. Your comments with regards to the charges for hotel services are greatly appreciated. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Clearwater. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Quick review of Sandava Spa - the welcome areas and lounge are really lovely and the staff all very friendly and competent. But be forewarned, I was surprised to learn they do "waterless" pedicures - lay you out on a therapy bed and work on your feet using lotions and hot towels to do the work traditionally done by soaking your feet. Some might like this but I actually enjoy soaking my feet and like to be upright while my feet are being worked on. The technician did an excellent job and feet looked great but very weird lying there, knees up during the process. Awkward and not relaxing for me, and I wish they had informed ahead of time or given you a choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is the best! Fab rooms, extremely clean and spacious. Best view ever of the Ocean and nightly sunsets. Spa was so relaxing, pool was the best. The bathroom was so huge, excellent shower. We did not want to come home. I can only describe the bed as a very large marshmallow, so comfortable.Thank you to all the hotel staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Choose one of the larger rooms, although they are all very spacious, but these rooms are directly fa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Jackie M,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. I am delighted you were able to relax at our Sandava Spa. Our large guestrooms and the views of the ocean often find our guests wanting to stay and enjoy the amenities we offer for an extended getaway. Your referral is greatly appreciated. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Clearwater Beach!

Safe travels,

Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed for our 1 year anniversary here and we found it to be just an average stay. Let's start with the positive. The bed was comfortable and the staff was fast with services that we requested. Now to the negative. First, our view from the balcony was of a parking lot and very little of the beach. There was a lot of noise from the street traffic and lights from the street all night long. There were several spots in the room that were not clean (there was a line of what looked like stained urine on the wall next to the toilet paper and used water bottle under the night stand). When the daily cleaning occurred the toilet was not cleaned. Second, I believe it is absolutely ridiculous to pay $16 per day for parking and $25 daily for a resort fee for absolutely no reason. Oh wait, that includes two bottles of water a day. Really? This didn't even include a beach umbrella or chair which was an additional $25 a day just to rent. My husband and I just ended up BUYING a beach umbrella and chair for a little over $30 since we were going to be using it daily for an extended amount of time. I do not appreciate people doing every little thing to take advantage of people. Third, the air conditioning unit clicked on and off literally every minute or so and was very loud when doing so that it would interrupt sleeping. I ended up using a sound machine on my phone on a very loud setting to help mute the sound of the loud air conditioning unit. Fourth, there were several times when people would throw various things onto our balcony from cigarette butts to a used condom. I realize that this particular thing is not the hotel's fault, but when calling about it they could have at least offered to have someone come up and immediately clean it off and they didn't. So we didn't even get to enjoy the balcony on the last day. It all comes down to the fact that the hotel was just average. Nowhere near worth the amount of money that we paid. We will not be staying here again.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt for a week and enjoyed it very much. The room had a full kitchen with a full refrigerator, blender and a dishwasher. So we were able to make drinks in the room, and my wife was able to use the blender to make smoothies. The room was large and comfortable.

The hotel is a little oddly built, with a very small lobby on the first floor, and all of the restaurants on the second. One staff member mentioned that this was done to make the building storm resistant.

The staff went out of their way to be friendly and welcoming, and did it consistently throughout the week, and from every department.

We ate at Skimmers twice, and Shor once, and enjoyed the food in both. Definitely try the calamari sticks and the grouper bites.

Also, the view is amazing. We really enjoyed watching sunsets from the 8th floor pool balcony.

Room Tip: Upgrade the the premium room with the full kitchen.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend your stay at our resort. It is great to read about your recent experience and that you had an outstanding stay. I am pleased you found your room to be well appointed. We have fantastic guestrooms that all come with fully equipped kitchens and balconies to enjoy the beautiful sunsets. It is great to hear that you found the restaurants to be very good and the food to be delicious. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. We look forward to your return the next time you are in Clearwater!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

As I write this review we are preparing for our last day at the resort after an 11 night stay here.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a friendly smiling young girl at the desk who offered us champagne. After several hours of travelling we thought why not, to be presented with a plastic cup of the stuff from her. We all looked at each other and immediately burst into giggles, was this a joke? A five star hotel offering champagne... In a plastic cup! How funny.

However, the room more than made up for this. We had a gulf front suite (2 bedroom) for the duration of our stay and it has been brilliant. A fully equipped kitchen with microwave, oven, hob, coffee makers, fridge/freezer as well as various utensils (knives, usual cutlery, cooking spoons/fish slice, mixing bowls, jugs, glasses.) The equipment supplied and the marble kitchen area are fantastic.

The room had three large (around 42" I'd guess), one in the living room and one in each bedroom which were support beds but comfortable all the same. The bathrooms were large and the view is absolutely beautiful from the balcony (the only shame is that the side rooms rather than front seem to get a substantially larger balcony but you can't help how the hotel is built!).

The common areas of the hotel are good, the bar prices are quite expensive (5.50 for a bottle of beer, no draught) and to be honest are cheaper down at a beach front bar but hotel prices are always inflated. The conference rooms look good for their use as well as the gym (treadmills, cross trainers, bike etc) being air conditioned and having plenty of space to work out in.

The pool is a good area and was not busy at all during our stay. The only slight disappointment which maybe the hotel could implement something about is children in the main pool under a certain age when there is a purpose built area for small children in the pool. At times parents of these children found it alright to feed them IN the pool, even burp them in the pool. That's pretty unhygienic, and a child under 3 in a pool of that size and depth is a law suit waiting to happen, even if the parents act like they own the place with complete disregard for other guests who've payed a fortune to go and relax. However as I point out this appears to be a fault with guests and not the hotel.

Food at the bar is ample and good, not a bad price. Unfortunately we didn't manage to try SHOR but heard many great things about it (one of our party doesn't eat a lot of things on the menu) but it is highly recommended in the area. The bar staff and SHOR staff who stand out front are all exceptional.

So overall I found my experience at the hyatt good, having stayed at the hyatt in Toronto previously however I found that perhaps it wasn't as up to par. Why? The service of the actual room. The maid. Our maid repeatedly did not bring coffee, tea or water bottles which apparently the resort fee is for. Some days we did not even get a newspaper. For 25 dollars a day on top of a room which is costing literally thousands of dollars we couldn't see what we were paying for. We had a full 3 tier coffee rack in our room when we began, it has now been out of coffee for days and not replaced as made out it would be. We had to call yesterday for some more and were supplied with 3 new cartridges for it.

We also have not had water for days and have taken to buying our own. It is not the cost of the water but the sheer principle that we pay for it and the maid doesn't do it. This all seemed to begin when politely we asked her if she could come after 11 and before 3 (which is ample time as she is always on the corridor when we go out around 11 and sees us go out) as one day she did not come to do our room until 5, after seeing us leave at 10. She then seemed to employ an extreme attitude toward us and almost as if she wasn't doing it on purpose when we saw her putting coffee and water in other people's rooms as we walked past- purposely not ours then?

This childishness has really disappointed me about our stay at the Hyatt as I was the one who suggested staying here due to our good experience in Toronto last year.

However, it's a good hotel and a good location (just don't annoy the maid)

• Stayed September 2013
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spent 7 days at the Hyatt Regency in August this year after a week in Orlando exploring the theme parks.
After the 2-hour drive we were met at the door and our cases were quickly whisked away. The hotel is enormous and dominates the beachfront and is very pink! Be prepared, you do have to pay for parking at either $16 per day or $20 if you opt for valet parking. I parked it myself! Our tour operator did not warn us and I am still awaiting a resolution to this.
Our suite was lovely (room 900) with the master bedroom overlooking the Gulf of Mexico and Clearwater beach. Beds were large and comfy and the bathroom and the en suite were clean and luxurious. We had a kitchenette with breakfast bar, large cooker and microwave and large fridge with icemaker. 3 TV’s so the kids were happy.
Pool area was clean and there were plenty of shaded areas to sit out of the sun should you wish to do so. Fabulous views of the beach and the ocean.
We never had any trouble getting sun beds and there was none of the normal nonsense of getting up at 7 am to ensure you got a spot for the day.
We ate breakfast in our room and stocked up on provisions from the convenience store located at the rear of Surfstyle which is the shop next door to the hotel on the beach front selling t-shirts, glasses, watches and an enormous selection of beach ware etc.
We did not eat in the restaurant in the hotel at all so cannot comment on the food but did use the Swim bar near the pool for lunch and drinks. Food and service were great but quite overpriced compared to what you could get on the beachfront. But it’s a 4 star so you would expect to pay a premium.
All the staff was very friendly and helpful and the concierge gave us great advice on where to eat and what to see during our stay.
We got complimentary pool towels, wi fi, coffee and water every day but then found on check out it was not so complimentary as we were charged a $15 “resort fee” per day for these items. Another dispute awaiting resolution from the tour operator.
The beach is literally across the road from the hotel and the sand is white and floury. Sea is beautiful and clear and very warm. We spent a couple of afternoons there and hired a cabana for $25. It did get a little too warm on some days so we retreated to the hotel pool for some respite.
We ate out at Frenchy's and Crabby’s, which are both a 2 min, walk from the front of the hotel.
Other places we can recommend were Clear Sky Beach café (try the Mahi Mahi), Palm Pavilion and Gondoliers. Palm Pavilion is set right on the beachfront and is an ideal place to watch the sunset and they have bands on as well.
The pier is a great place to walk in the evening, as there are street entertainers and lots of local artists selling, paintings, jewellery and all manner of things. Entertainers were top notch and don’t get paid so be expected to throw a few dollars in their hat at the end of each performance. There is also some trapeze bungees set up on the beach, which the kids loved.
During our stay we visited the aquarium which is home of the disabled dolphin Winter. Star of the film Dolphin Tale. Be expected to part with some more money once you have paid the admission fee as they basically give you a choice of additional things to do once you enter. Swim with a dolphin, feed a dolphin, feed a pelican all of which were not that cheap. There is a separate Dolphin Tale exhibition included with the aquarium admission across the bridge in downtown Clearwater which basically tells you all about the film and has memorabilia and scenes from the various sets. This looks better funded than the actual aquarium, which is supposed to rehabilitee sick and injured animals. It didn’t sit that easy for me and it smacked of exploitation. We met some of the locals who did not like the whole Winter the Dolphin attraction and had heard that the animal was in constant pain and only actually wears its bionic tail 5 minutes at a time.
Make your own mind up but the kids loved it.
We used the Trolley bus to get there, which was $1.50 each, and bus from the aquarium to the Dolphin Tail attraction was free.
While were over that side of Clearwater we had lunch at the Island Way Grill which was lovely with great views over the lake in front of the aquarium.
Clearwater beach is fabulous and very, very relaxing after a week touring the parks in Orlando. The Regency Hyatt hotel was impeccable and I would recommend anyone to go and stay there. Just ensure you know about the hidden charges!
Only other irritation was the US Money card I took with me. I loaded up our spending money on to this and was told I would be charged $3 per withdrawal but many of the ATM’s including the one in the hotel add an additional handling fee between $3 and $4 so every time I withdrew money I was charged twice for the privilege. Also none of the ATMs would give me a balance on the money card, which was a little inconvenient. If you look for “Cash” machines apparently they don’t charge but I did not manage to spot one during our stay.
My advice would be to take some cash and stick it in the safe then pay for the rest on your credit card .
Fab place, fab hotel, would go back with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms overlooking the Gulf of Mexico would be stunning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello JonathanGSlater,

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent vacation at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. The level of detail you have shared is greatly appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed our large guestrooms and the remarkable views of the gulf provided from both the bedroom and living room. Our location offers guests some of the best views up and down the coast in the area. We take great pride with hearing remarks in regards to the excellent customer service offered by our employees. They will be recognized for their efforts. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next getaway to Florida. Your referral is greatly appreciated.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!