“Shhhh...it's the quiet Hyatt” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Hampstead, Maryland
“Shhhh...it's the quiet Hyatt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Let me first give some context before you read this review. I read many reviews about the Hyatt and wanted to give a little more detailed view that might help somebody not familiar with the area or hotel make an informed decision b/c there are other upscale hotels in the area like Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton and Sand Pearl. Most reviews dont' provide enough details about all the little things. I stayed at the Hyatt from June 28th - July 3rd.

Overall service: Average
The front desk was OK, but we always had to ask for assistance when most upscale places ask how they can help you. The on-premise Starbucks was horribly slow most days and never had more than one person working even at peak hrs.

We made our reservations back in early April and requested a room with an ocean view. We were told this could not be done. Really? Do you expect me to believe every room with an ocean view was booked 3 months in advance? And even after the Debbie storm blew thru and people cancelled they couldn't give us a room that faced the gulf? We had a side room that faced south.

While at the fitness center one day I was asked to be quiet by the Spa girl after not even being in the room for 5 minutes. Let me just say this did not sit well with me and I made a point to say something to her manager. I was not loud in any way and have never been asked to be quiet in a gym before....ever. The door dudes were not attentive and were generally clueless when asked any questions. Sean Penn as Jeff Spicoli came to mind a lot.

The lone ATM machine was busted for over a day and the staff did not know about it...I told them.

We didn't eat in the hotel much due to the high prices, but we found a coupon in a local beach mag and used it for dinner at Shor. The food was excellent as was the service. Only this experience keeps the overall grade here from not being lower.

Location: Excellent
The hotel is located within walking distance to many local stores, cafes, restaurants, and activities. A marina is a 5 minute walk away with access to waverunners, tours and fishing excursions. If you want to save some money on food and drinks, go to Crabby Bills or Britt's for happy hour and decent food at good prices.

Resort fee / beach access:
Can't really grade this, but the dailty resort fee is a joke since it doesn't get you anything but the bottled water in your fridge and towels at the pool. The Hyatt is the only upscale beach resort I have ever been to that didn't have it's own private beach. If you want beach space, chairs and an umbrella you have to pay for it. The beach is across the street but not accessible from the front lobby. You have to either walk down from the 2nd floor, or take the elevator down one level...but only from the 2nd floor. To access your room you need to go to other elevators. Yeah...odd.

Room quality: Good
The room was very nice and had a fully furnished kitchen. The bathroom was spacious and I had no issue w/ the water pressure as others have mentioned. The TV was not HD and did not have a good channel selection. My TV at home was far superior. Yes, this is nitpicking, but from a hotel w/ this price you'd expect something better.

Hotel ammenities: Average
The pool is too small for the size of the hotel and most days/evenings was very crowded. They need to have an adult pool and a sep. kids pool. The pool is on the 8th floor with a nice view of the beach and sunset, yet the bar there stops serving good at 630 PM and drinks around 830 PM. Talk about some stupid policies and a wasted opportunity to make a happening place for the adults to hang for happy hour. The 16th floor sky deck has the best view of all and has no food or drink service at all. Duuuuuuuuuuuh. The hotel, in general, gives you the feeling they want eveybody alseep in their rooms by 11 PM. Again, odd.

Getting to and from the hotel from the Tampa airport: <MUST READ and SAVE SOME $$>
A cab ride from the airport will run you about $55 w/out tip. Do yourself a favor and use one of the private companies that charge a flat rate of $35 and save yourself some cash. If you'd like the name of the place I found, please feel free to drop me an email.

Final thoughts:
Although the location is great and the beach is nice, based on what you get for your money I would not choose the Hyatt again if going to Clearwater Beach.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Clifton Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The location of the hotel can't be beat. It's right near Pier 60, and is within walking distance of the nightlife, restaurants, shops, etc., in Clearwater Beach. As far as locations go, the Hyatt is in the best spot. It's also a 5 minute walk from the marina.

The hotel's rooms are all suites, which are very nice. Eating out constantly on vacation, it's nice to have some conveniences like a regfrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and dishes.

You do have to cross a street to get to the beach, but this isn't a big deal at all! The street is only two lanes, isn't that heavily travelled, and had a pedestrian stop. The walk from the hotel to the spot where you set up your beach chair is about 2-3 minutes. Anyone who complains about this walk needs to get a grip. Reading previous reviews on Tripadvisor, we were hesitant to stay here because of the walk across the street. Having actually stayed here, we don't know what people are complaining about.

Check in and check out were prompt, friendly and courteous. The concierge was disappointing. Room cleaning wasn't very good. The cleaner left a cleaning rag one time, and the carpet was clearly never vacuumed.

We had a balcony view fronting the Gulf which was gorgeous. The negative was that we were right above the pool which was filled with kids. Of particular annoyance, on one night, the hotel was setting up a movie for kids near the pool. Just as we were standing on our balcony to watch the glorious sunset, the hotel employee turns on the DVD player, and the opening credits and advertisments on an Ice Age DVD start blaring. Seriously? What a way to ruin the mood - this woman couldn't have waited 5 minutes, or hit the mute button?

One additional complaint is the $25 daily resort fee. Basically, you're getting 2 small bottles of water for $25. You get free wi-fi and free local and (800) calls, but for the average person with a smart phone, who care? In my mind, just charge me the extra $25 as part of the daily rate - I'll appreciate the honesty in billing, and not feel so taken advantage of. Or better yet, use this to cover parking, instead of charging me an additional $16 per day.

In terms of positives, we almost never heard anyone else, which is rare in hotels. The inside was very quiet. For a large hotel with many guests, the hotel seemed very cozy, and never seemed overwhelmed.

We tried out the spa. It was just okay. The spa is located on the 7th floor and has a beautiful view of the bay. However, the spa is tiny and feels small. We requested two female masseuses and were surprised when we had one male and one female masseuse. They advertise "spa food," but it's just Granny Smith apples and cookies. Again, not terrible, but not what was advertised.

The Hyatt, and Clearwater in general, caters more to families rather than couples. We traveled as a couple and had a wonderful time, with no regrets. However, not every couple traveling without kids might feel the same way.

Overall, despite the negatives, we'd recommend the Hyatt. It's a pleasant hotel, in a fantastic, convenient location. One final thought. The hotel is very large and pink, and is a prominent landmark. No matter where you are in Clearwater Beach, you'll never be lost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sunset.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I just returned home from our wedding/honeymoon, and the 5 days that we spent at the Hyatt in Clearwater were wonderful. It would not be a resort I could afford to stay at all the time all week long, but for a shorter special event, it was absolutely perfect. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, every employee we came across greeted us and was very polite. We checked in using one of the electronic kiosks which were very useful and easy to use. The only issue we had was with parking. We couldn't get our key to work in the parking deck, but found out that they accidently set up our room for valet instead of my parent's, but fixed the problem very quickly and easily. The hotel is beautiful and clean inside and out. The beds were very comfortable. All of the staff was great. Our wedding was very small with only 14 guests, but Mallori Skipper with the catering department treated us wonderfully. The service at dinner was fantastic and the food was amazing. The only reason I gave the spa and breakfast a 4 instead of a 5 was because of cost. I bought my parents a 1 hr swedish massage each, and with gratitude, it cost close to $300 for the two of them, but my parents loved every second of it. My husband and I had breakfast in the Shor restaurant one day, and it cost us about $50 for just the two of us. The cost as well as the cost of the room, though, is expected as it is a Hyatt.

Room Tip: We had family all over the hotel and no one had any complaints, except the garbage cans in the room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Paige D:

Thank you for choosing our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa for your wedding experience. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your special occasion. Our employees will be recognized for the tremendous service. We'll be sure to tell Mallori Skipper that she did a fantastic job with the wonderful wedding arrangement. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back for Anniversary celebrations!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I really want to love this hotel. Stayed there a couple times now. Let's start off with the good. Great view, beautiful new hotel and nice rooms if you get what you paid for. The bad? Reservations completely messed up my two rooms and I got the worst ADA compliant room (with a broken shower) on property. Fortunately, my other room that my guests were in was a great room that I called and requested 4 times only for Hyatt to get it wrong.
Customer service: GM was friendly and gave me a $25 credit for my disaster of a room. Woo Hoo. I paid over $2,500 for my stay. $25 is big money.
Valet: Rude, rude, rude. I was forced to wait 25 minutes with a one year old for my car and when I asked the valet kid said "i have no idea where your car is" Wrong answer!!!!
Maids: Terrible. Did not speak English and wanted to clean our room at 830 on Sat and Sun. WTF?
Restaurant: Very good.
Pool: Towel hut was closeless and could not figure out how to rent us a cabana so we gave up.
Front Desk: Mostly very good except for the smar a-- guy working on Friday and Sat during the day who was just rude and made comments about me being demanding

Overall, not very good. Mostly due to the customer service issues and the terrible room we were crammed into despite my many attempts to get it "right."

I will stay at this hotel again as it's the nicest in Tampa. I will just make sure not to valet my car, not check in until I've inspected my room, and ignore the 830 am housekeeping wake up calls.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel & resort is wonderful. Friendly staff, clean & upscale. Its close to everything. We flew into Tampa and arranged a ride with a transportation service referred by the hotel for $30.00. Once we were there we walked everywhere. We also took the public trolley bus up until 9 at night. Hotel has a Jacuzzi on the roof. Grocery stores are close so you can cook, the rooms have full equipped kitchens. The surf store is reasonable. If you forget something you can get it in Clearwater. We went to the mall, went to the movies, and went to the Pier- lots of interesting things there. We also went on a dinner cruise on the Majestic, it was nice. The food was not all that we expected but it was good. The music was great and just being on a cruise at sunset is so beautiful. The concierges was very knowledgeable and cool. We really enjoyed it and will be back again & again, next time we are taking the kids.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for business, but would love to come back to play. Large room with full stainless steel kitchen (with two complimentary bottles of water in the fridge), desk to work on, big tv, pull-out sofa and comfortable king bed. Nice bathroom amenities, including a hair dryer, plenty of towels, two robes, and toiletries.
What was interesting was the food at the hotel - lots of healthy and organic choices that were tasty as well as good for you. Very impressive.

Room Tip: Very large rooms on the 8th floor surrounding the pool, but not a great view. A little bit of traff...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear FLDealMaven:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the time you've spent with us, and how well you liked your large room with the kitchen. Often, we'll hear enthusiastic feedback with regards to the guest room layout. It's great that our restaurants could provide you with healthy, organic options. We'll make sure to recognize the kitchen staff with the great choices they had to offer.

We hope you have the opportunity to welcome you back for a relaxing getaway!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel. We had a very large 2 bedroom suite facing the Gulf and it was incredibly clean and beautiful! The staff is very friendly and accommodating. One of the nicest hotels I’ve stayed at while in Florida. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
I am excited to hear that you had such an excellent stay at our property. It sounds like you really enjoyed your suite and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Your feedback and recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you back to our property for another stay in the future!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!