“Service was terrible” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Clinton, Iowa
“Service was terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

1. Our air conditioning went out our first night. When we called, no one ever came to look at it. 2. We needed a wake up call for 4 am since we had an early flight, no one ever called, almost missed our flight.3. They also told us since we booked very early, they would waive our resort fee. I asked them at check-in and they said it looked like they did. Well, at check-out, their computers weren't up yet, and would email our receipt. Well, guess what, the fees were on there. 4. Our remote for the TV never worked.5. Could never get the wifi to work.
On the plus side, the room was nice. The entertainment was great and so was the food. The beach is small and you can rent 2 chair and umbrella for $25 a day.

Room Tip: There is live music every night. We were far enough away, but on Sunday night, we could still hear m...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We checked in On April 30 at around 1 PM, the room wasn't quite ready but the bell hop took our bags and stored them until we got a call that the room was ready, actually gave us a chance to walk the grounds a bit.
We did get the room I requested, top floor in the middle of the new building with a great view.

Once settled in we went down to pool area sat at the bar ordered a drink (which could of been a bit stronger) and ordered some appitizers which were great.

We did not do the buffet, it was just to much to eat at one siting but it did look great.

The bands they had were great but di play until 3 in the morning so if you don't like music to that late do not get a Gulf-view room, otherwise we had no complaints..would I do it again? Without a doubt!

Room Tip: Gulf View was a bit loud at night but what we expected
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We had a minor issue which occasionally springs up during our travels or in restaurants, shops or hotels in the US because of our diplomatic status. If You're a diplomat you can guess the story.

Foreign diplomats are exempt from paying taxes in the US. This law usually upholds and applies almost everywhere in the US yet occasionally proprietors of establishments do not know about it.

This in itself is never a problem. Usually we accept it when they don't know and we pay the unnecessary taxes to avoid a long conversation and move on with our fun. In this case we had informed the hotel while booking and it was a piece of cake.

Upon arrival things were different. We asked the polite lady at the front desk to speak to someone more senior (in the hopes that they may be familiar with our tax exempt card or our reservation for that matter).

What we got was Kody Peer.  We were greeted without even a "Hello".  A very edgy Kody  began to object to our card before we could speak. My husband told her, "why don't we begin by saying good afternoon?" She then smiled and touched his arm patronizingly in a gesture of fake familiarity of endearment as if speaking to a child. Nice! But then in an agitated manner quickly informed us that she would be happy to cancel our reservation.

We still did not feel like cancelling our reservation because of one disgruntled  Kody at this point. In fact we could have paid the taxes had Kody just told us, that they do not "Accept this card as per hotel policy". No problem there.

Next came Greg Matkovic and boy was he even less friendly, he almost made us wish Kody was back to talk to us. He began to throw claims in a very aggressive demeanour about taxes that  we couldn't help find easily refuted by the statements clearly printed at the back of my husband's card.

Only by then the edgy discussion lead to a point where we felt as if we were defending something.

It was a done deal for us after he kept repeating that he would be glad to cancel our reservation. :(

The bright side of this saga was that almost immediately I found an excellent room in the next door Holiday Inn which hosts an excuisite pool, especially by night when it changes colors and plays amazing music . No problems with the card.

In a way I'm glad this happened because we had an amazing time at the Holiday Inn with our friends.

There is a lovely family owned Greek restaurant across the street towards the direction of the public beach and they accepted our cards no questions asked.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Went there on a Sunday and purchased a $500+ VIP Couch for a show at their venue. In addition, ALSO purchased a room for the night. Over $700+ was spent in ONE day at Shephard's Resort. This day was quickly cut short - I REMOVED WITHOUT WARNING from my room at 12:30am - ABSURD.

Emailed them with my feedback - I am now BLOCKED from their Facebook page with TWO of my Facebook accounts. Instead of trying to fix the situation, Shephard's decided to try and "make me go away."

WRONG MOVE! Instead of keeping this as an internal issue, you've now made it an EXTERNAL issue. That's what I call BAD BUSINESS!

Sicklerville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My friend and I heard this was the place to to have a good time in Clearwater. We had a mojito pitcher and pina coladas. As it was lunchtime, we also ordered nachos that took quite a while but were well worth the wait! The live band was excellent too. I would go back again for sure!

maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at Shepard's for the second time in April '15 - we were here about 13 years ago. The resort has gone through major renovations since the last time we were. Rooms were good and we had a view of the Gulf and Sand Key. It is a party destination and is well-known for that but we knew that and brought our ear plugs!! They do have live music every night - some great, some not so much, depending on your taste.

We used the hotel as a "base" to travel where we wanted and also be close to Clearwater Beach and amenities in the area. We had an issue checking in as the room we were given was still occupied!!! Aside from that the on-site food is expensive and the "drinks" are watered down. If you want to sit at the bar - order beer. We went one night and I left after my second drink - terrible.

But that is really the only complaint - it is what it is. We like the area, Shepard's has had a major makeover, but for peace and quiet - this isn't the place.

Beach and Pier 60 are close by and there are some good places to eat. Shepard's valet service is really good - very attentive and on-the-spot.

Room Tip: Request a Gulf view room - not street-side.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Entertainment_Resort, Manager at Shephard's Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest,

It is very disconcerting that you had any trouble at check; humans error of course, but really do our best to avoid any situation remotely like that. We do apologize for any inconvenience it caused and glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of the beach area and the great service from our devoted valets. We look forward to seeing you again and hope that you do not wait another 13 years.

Best regards,

Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I can't wait to go back th Shepard's to enjoy more fun with friends odd and new. My expectations were exceeded when I called & was given a better rate for the room than what was listed online. After that I checked in quickly with Matt who was great and assured me that my stay would be nothing less than stellar. Then outside at the tiki bar I met Todd who took care of me with great drinks & great food. I began having issues with my phone so when I came in to meet a friend Elvis at the front desk helped me with my wifi.

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review- Matt, Todd, and Elvis are some of the best and brightest for sure! We look forward to seeing you soon- it doesn't sound like you'll be able to stay away for long.

Best regards,

Management

Been to Shephard's Beach Resort? Share your experiences!