“Average vacation resting place” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Celebrate the Savings
Ranked #23 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Akron, Ohio
“Average vacation resting place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I would have to say the best part of this hotel/resort was the pool. That's where we spent most of our stay during the day and exploring the area at night. The room was average, small and needed some updating for sure. When staying make sure you ask for a high floor you have the best views that way! Kids activities were a bonus when you can catch them! We did rent a cabana for a day and the service was good and it was nice to have a shaded area to retreat to. Would stay again if the opportunity came about.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

There are some pros and cons to staying at this hotel but that's to be expected. For the most part we enjoyed our two night stay.

Cons:
Old room and decor, Input button does not work at all on the tv so we were unable to watch a dvd through the HDMI connection.

Pros:
Jet skiing on the premises, good food and friendly staff at the pool bar, nice fitness center and spa. Although I did not dine at Watercolours Steakhouse the ambience is very nice.

There is a beautiful parrot named Lisa that hangs out in the lobby. The front desk and concierge staff are nice. There is a lobby bar and small shop that sells Starbucks coffee. Parking is free and the beach is a short walk across the street.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

A great hotel from the front desk to the cleaning staff all very helpful and nice. the bar area and pool area good and the restaurant food was excellent . close to the beach really enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mason, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Definitely not 1 of our favorite Marriott's. Not a great location for Clearwater Beach either.
Hotel needs to be updated. Do not like the outside hallways. Felt like we were at a "budget" hotel. Took forever to get an elevator and they were not air conditioned either.
We arrived late - almost midnight. The first room they gave us was on the 8th floor which was nice but we had two double beds and had requested a king. So back down to the lobby. Next room was a king but only on the 3rd floor - no view of the Gulf - very disappointing but by now we were so tired from traveling all day we did not want to go down to the lobby for the 3rd time.
As for the gym - it was ok. The first day I went 1 of the treadmills wasn't working - the next day 2 out of the 4 were not working. The screens were black so you had no idea how to work it.
The pool - was nice as long as you didn't need towels. I waited at least 10-15 minutes at the towel hut for someone to show up until I finally went to track someone down who ended up getting me a couple towels from the front desk.
Housekeeping - not sure what happened here but the first day around 2:00 I had to track down a housekeeper and ask her to please clean our room. The next day we got back to our room after 4:00 and it had still not been cleaned. That is not acceptable.
Overall it was not one of our favorite vacation spots and do not plan on coming back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
TPAMS, Manager at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear ShonDave,

Thank you for the time taken to review you stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings in our service during your stay. Your comments have been relayed to our individual department heads, so we can improve in the areas where we fell short in delivering the type of service that is expected. I sincerely appreciate you sharing your experience so we have a chance to improve .

Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

A really big hotel with friendly staff.
And child friendly!! Unlike some hotels.
We had a room on the 7th floor out looking the beautiful beach.
The rooms are spacious and very clean. We had two rooms that joined together by a door.
There was kettle etc and sink in front room with tv.
The sofa could turn into sofa bed if you like.
The pool is wonderful and so is the bar especially in the evening when you feel like you want chill and relax.
The carpark is huge so there is no problem at all with parking.
I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013
Dear Newzam1,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay at our hotel.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your time here at our Marriott and I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

First off I think that it is great that the General Manager of this hotel reads his reviews. That is very impressive. My husband and I stayed at the beginning of July and really enjoyed our stay. The view was great, we stayed on the 5th floor. The staff was excellent and we even witnessed some small renovations to the restaurant while we were there. The rooms are a bit dated however they are clean. Housekeeping did a great job of keeping things tidy. The pool was also well maintained and there were plenty of chairs. The fitness room was small but functional. I think renovations would be a great investment! I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 5th or 6th floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I wish I could write two reviews one for the hotel (meh) and one for the staff (AMAZING!!). I have never met better staff in any hotel, anywhere. Each and every one of them was fantastic from the front desk to the maintenance staff - awesome.

The hotel, sadly, is not so awesome.

The rooms ('suites') are so small there isn't even room to hang towels in the bathroom. There was four of us (two adults, two kids) and we struggled to stay in one of these suites for five days. The decor is old and dated, and there is really only enough room in the bedroom for one suitcase. As far as I am concerned you should not have to step over your suitcases in a four star hotel.

I was having to call the front desk on a daily basis because our toilet kept blocking up - I was at the point that I was going to ask them to leave a plunger in the room to save time.

The pool was ok but very crowded and the poolside food way overpriced. They claim the beach is few minutes walk away (there is no direct access) but it is far more than that and you have to walk through another hotel to get there (Sheraton Sand Keys - should have stayed there) or take one of their shuttles which seemed to be few and far between.

All in all, I don't think I would stay here again unless it was just two people. Even then what they call a suite is far removed from what I would call a suite. I understand that all the rooms are going to be refurbished by the end of 2015 and I say, not a moment too soon. It seems they have taken a standard hotel room, stuck a tiny bathroom in the middle and a fold out sofa in the 'lounge' and call it a suite.

This pains me to say because the staff are so wonderful and helpful.
During our stay there was a fire alarm that only seemed to affect the second and third floors (our other party was on the fourth floor and received no alarm). This was at 3:00 a.m. and we discovered later that it was caused by workmen in the lobby. We got our two children up (they were terrified by the noise) to be told when we got in the lobby that it was a false alarm/ It then however took almost 30 minutes to turn the alarm off. No apologies, no compensation, no free breakfast - NOTHING.

I tried really hard to like this hotel, but I just can't.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have better views but none of the rooms are great.
Green Features: meh, i didn't really see any environmentally-friendly practices. since there was no way to hang towels they all ended up on the floor anyway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TPAMS, Manager at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear BrenRoar,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay.

We appreciate all your comments, both the positive ones about our staff as well as the constructive ones about other aspects of your stay. This thorough review will certainly assist us in making our product and associates better in handling some situations as you might have experienced and I am sincerely sorry about us not handling the fire alarm situation properly. Your comments will serve as a great training opportunity to handle situation such as this one.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

jan.vanco@marriott.com

Been to Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key? Share your experiences!