“Very nice hotel with a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
New York
“Very nice hotel with a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2007

We just got back from a stay at the Best Western Sea Wake. I booked the hotel based on customer reviews and ratings from Tripadvosor.

I was happy with the location as this hotel is located on a small beach facing the inlet. The Gulfview rooms views were awsome. however, If you have a cityview room, you will be dissappointed.

The Gulfview rooms face south so you get the bay, inlet and ocean water view as well as the sunrise and sunset. The cityview room view gets a noisy street and parking lot view, Also, the gulfview rooms get a USAToday newspaper delivered to their door each morning, the cityview rooms, no newspaper. I felt like I was a second class guest as I had a city view room.
When I complained about the newspaper, the manager did explain that there were not enough newspapers for every room, He resolved the issue by putting me on the list to recieve the paper. Other service requests were also resolved promptly.

The pool was warm, however, the beach was not really suitable for swimming as there were alot of rocks and other debris in the water. A better choice for a beach swim would be about a 10 minute walk to the main beach or a 2 minute car ride to the main beach or cross over the bridge to beautiful Sand Key State Park Beach. However, It does cost about $1.50 per hour tp park!

There were several good resterunts within walking distance. An italian resturaunt across the street offeres a good breakfast, luch and dinner selection. Ihop was located next door. Shepards, two hotels down offered an extensive buffet for all three meals. and johnny's fish house located at the Gulfview hotel was excellent. Pier 60 is worh a visit around sunset as the children would enjoy the park and street performers and the adults can take in the sunset and shop the street vendors.

Overall I really liked this hotel, staff and location. I would visit there again. However, I did have one major complaint which I will share. When I booked there were only city view rooms available. I paid $159.00 per night for our three night stay. When I arrived on Monday, I asked if there were any gulfview rooms available. I was told no. I then said that I would switch even for just one night if there was anything. The desk clerk said that all the gulfview rooms were booked for my three nights. The next morning I checked again to see if maybe there was a cancellation, again, no luck. About an hour later, friends of ours came to visit us from Tampa and decided that they wanted to stay the night. I advised them that the hotel was booked. My friends said that all hotels save room for "walk-in's. They walked up to the desk and to my astonoshment, they booked a GULFVIEW room for $109.00 per night! Then another couple walked in and booked a gulfroom view as well for $129.00/ night. When I approched the hotel clerk about my requst an hour earlier, she responded sorry, there was nothing available at the time. Anyway, I guess the point is that they already had my $159.00/night committed to a cityview room so my give me a cheaper gulfview room when they know they'll rent it to a walk-in. My advice, negotiate your room price in advance because the "squeaky wheel gets the oil".

One last note, the hotel is was sold to a developer and is scheduled to close December 31, 2007 to make room for a condominium. However, the hotel manager said that the hotel was suppose to close three times previously but has not due to poor pre construction sales.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Chandler AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

Best Westen Sea Wake was one of the quietest hotels we have stayed in. We asked for a room on the top floor, away from elevators, ice machines, etc. When we were delayed by our flight and didn't arrive until 9:30 PM, I didn't think there would be a chance that we would get what we asked for, but we did. The hotel was clean. Maybe not perfect, but I was satisfied and I'm pretty particular about cleanliness. There were several drawbacks. The restaurant is closed and they only serve a cold breakfast. We didn't try it. We reserved a gulf front room. This hotel is NOT ON THE GULF! It is on an inlet between the gulf and Clearwater Bay. Due to erosion, there is not much beach left. All in all, we had a satifactory stay. But, we spoke to the manager and were told that this hotel is to be torn down by July this year to make way for condos.

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — There was no restaurant in the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Crawley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

My wife and I found this place by it being the first hotel we came across as we entered Clearwater. Our experience of the Best Western chain has been varied, but we can say this is the best one we stayed in.

As been mentioned in other reviews it is a shame that this hotel is being pulled down and I can only agree with that, I can recommend a number of Best westerns that should be pulled down before this.

Our room had a King size bed facing the beach, the bedroom was light and airy and although one of the lifts were out one evening the hotel is clean and well maintained.

Everyone in the hotel worked hard to make the stay enjoyable

There is complimentary breakfast of Coffee, Tea, Muffins and Danish pastries which was enough for us but maybe insufficient for people who are used to a more substantial start to the day.

We enjoyed sitting at the bar being visited by the local pelicans, or just sitting on the veranda reading. Dolphins swim by on a regular basis and while we only saw a couple, other guests saw a pod (is that the collective?) of 20-30 one morning

There are plenty of restaurants within a 5 minute walk, some better than others.

I would recommend this hotel and if I get back to Clearwater before it is pulled down I would definitely stay again.

I have posted some pictures of the view from our baloney

Stayed January 2007
ct charles il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

we have stayed at the sea wake twice now. we love it. we were
also delighted to find that it will be open through 2007. the
staff is great. we just love joanna the bartender. we were sorry
to see that the resturant is continental breakfast only. we do
plan to return.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the resturant
  • Stayed October 2006
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

Everyone this place is a wonderful place to stay. We visit Clearwater , Fl alot and my husband and I got married there in Oct 2005. The wedding coordinator told us to stay here. I looked at the reviews from this website and heard wonderful things about this place so I knew I couldn't go wrong. If you get a beach front view it is so beautiful. The beachfront faces Sand Key Beach and that is where our ceromony is done. We came back to this hotel for our anniversary in 2006. This place is well kept, people are nice, newspaper every morning, and towels for the pool.

It really sad that the hotels along this beach side are being torn down to build condominums. This is very sad. We hope to back this year. This hotel is a nice place to stay and if you do stay at this hotel, make it over to the Gondolier. They have really good calozones.

• Liked — It is a great hotel. The Bartender there is so nice and the people at the help desk made sure that my stay was excellent.
  • Disliked — This hotel will closed its doors (has not yet) to be replaced by condominums.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
North of Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the Sea Wake in June of '06 for my birthday weekend. We had never visited the Clearwater Beach area before and relied soley on the reviews of this hotel before booking...and we're so glad we did. This trip completely changed my perspective of the Best Western chain.
The rooms were neat and the beds comfortable...the hotel in general was very well kept up. The beach area was small but gorgeous! For a $20 fee you can get your own cabana and we set it up in a little section set away from everyone. The outside bar made great margaritas and delicious burgers. We spent a better part of a day on the beach and were thrilled when we saw a group of dolphins swim by. There are hotels on either side that have nightly entertainment and wave runner rentals.
We truly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone. It's such a shame to know that this place (along with many other hotels and restaraunts) will be torn down to build a bunch of overpriced apartments. I hope to be able to visit once more before it's no longer.

• Liked — The beach
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Traverse City, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

We stayed at the Sea Wake in 2004 I just made reservations for March 2007. With all the talk about this place closing I called the hotel and the front desk they said maybe they would close in 2008 but that wasn't even for sure. I was so happy when I heard that, this place is great the rooms are nice with balconys facing the water and the staff is excellent and very helpful. Your in walking distance to alot of places to eat and places to shop. I would really recommend you to check out this hotel. Our kids loved it here since the nice sandy beach is right off the deck by the heated pool. They are very excited to return this spring 2007.

• Liked — Close To The Beach, Very Friendly, Great Pool.............
  • Disliked — Nothing...............
  • Stayed April 2004, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wyndham Garden Clearwater Beach? Share your experiences!