“Owners are great. Buffet far below average. Burger looked good.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Chipley
Cuisines: American
Houston, Texas
“Owners are great. Buffet far below average. Burger looked good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

First off, it appears that a vast majority of the reviewers are local and only have one Tripadvisor review in their profile and no other identifying information. I would not doubt they are the same person/people making multiple profiles. I believe that they are trying to support the very nice owners by leaving 5 star reviews so they will get more business. I'm sure I will get flamed for this review, but I feel I have to warn other people passing through. I don't mean to hurt the owners, but there are some improvements they can make that could bring in more business rather than asking all their friends/relatives to leave 5 star reviews.

Service: By service, I don't mean how nice the owners are. They are nice people.
A young man/older child met us at the door and showed us the buffet and utensils. He did not smile or say anything, but just pointed and mumbled a few words. While eating, we asked for some tartar suace and he brought some quickly. As we were finishing Mrs. Angel came out and asked us how things were. We lied and said it was good. She chitchatted a bit. She was nice. As we were heading to the cash register to pay, some patrons came to the front of the restaurant looking for refills. The young man/older child who worked there then walked to the restroom. A younger boy was there and Mrs. Angel had to sternly ask him to get the refills. He complained that the older boy was in the restroom again on his phone. I believe these boys are relatives of Mrs. Angel and obviously did not want to be working there. The kids were not trying at all. As we left Mrs. Angel asked us to leave a 5 star review on Tripadvisor.

Food: I'll preface this by saying that I like soul food. Ox tails, Collard Greens, Yams etc. I am not a food snob. I've always told folk that I'd eat anything and have no problem eating at roadside stands in third world countries. The buffet was disappointing. Once we sat down with our food, we all questioned ourselves whether we should have turned around. The ham was small chunks of stringy meat submurged in a watery broth. You had to fish it out with a spoon. The yellow squash casserole looked like it was put through a blender. The catfish was well battered and fried, but dry. The cook brought out more catfish while we were there. There were some beans, bread and dessert. Other items were available, but I don't remember what they were or could not identify them. The website indicates milk is a choice for drinks, but we were only offered softdrinks. I opted for water. The condiments were generic no-name brands.

Value: $9.99 for the buffet. The $/calorie ratio was average, but given the quality of the food I would say it was not a good value. Your average chinese buffet has much better quality food for a similar or lower price.

Atmosphere: I would say that the atmosphere is similar to your average living room. Atmosphere is not too important to me as long as the food is good and the place is clean. There was a pile of cloth (sheets?) next to the big screen TV. There were a few things hung on the walls. There was what appeared to be some valentines decorations on one wall. The cash register area had random piles of papers and a lot of clutter around.

Cleanliness: I did not see anything that would make me think this restaurant is not clean. I am sure the owners keep it clean. I did not use the restrooms, so cannot comment on them.

For anyone from out of town looking for a decent place to eat, I would suggest trying another restaurant in town. We passed by Katie's Kafe south on 77 about 9 miles and it looked like a nice place. I wished we had stopped there. :)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Auburn, Alabama
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

This food is absolutely amazing. It reminds me so much of my mawmaw home made cooking and much better than some fast food just to pick up. I respect this woman so much for the things she does for her kids and her restaurant. It's always good to have something home made then to have something that was frozen and warmed up.

Chipley, Florida
“The best food around and very sweet people that own it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Enjoy the food everytime I eat there. Angel is very sweet and makes u feel like family. To Mr.George I don't know when u were there but everytime i go the place is packed and when I just pass by the parking lot is full of cars. And my question to u is if u are from jacksonville then how do u know if she ever has a lot of people there or not. And to say waffle house and kfc have a lot more cars there doesn't mean that's people there eating it could be the workers cars there as well as u say that only the owners car is at angels when u go by. Angel and her husband who own the place also are the ones who work there so they don't have as many employees as kfc or waffle house. So if u are in town again give it another try. If u choose not to its ur choice but I love angels as well as many other locals do too. We love u angel and ur food is the best.

Chipley, Florida
“GOOD FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Dear MR George,you cant be more wrong....Thank you i eat there at least twice a week, not only does she have great food she comes out to your table and makes you feel right at home,Angle is one AWSOME lady.im sorry you didnt enjoy yourself.or the food .Maybe next time your in town you should try it again.Come and eat you some good catfish.......she also has great hamburgers...If not we will miss you ...but for me and my family we will enjoy the fun and good food ....may GOD Bless you...I hope Angle does not see that review as she goes out of her way to make all her family & friend happy.....love & happiness JACKIE

Jacksonville, Florida
“Question”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Why is it that every one of the reviews is excellent but when you ride by the place the only car you see most of the time is the owners. You will see more at KFC or Waffle House. We did eat there. We also talked to the locals. You go and decide yourself.