“Given the great value for money, this has to be called excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration

Bookmark
You added Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration to your Saves list
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747 (Formerly Mona Lisa Suite Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Ulm
“Given the great value for money, this has to be called excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed with three kids and had a family suite. It had two seperate rooms with separate bath rooms and a central area with an equipped kitchen and a dining table. The continental breakfast was included and in the center of the hotel is a nice family pool that is opened till 11 pm. The hotel is perfectly located for visits to all the Disney parks and close by are restaurants and stores. Given the great price for the family we call this excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife, children and I decided on the Melia following having some issues at another Orlando area resort. We saw that it was nearby and was a fair value compared to where we were going to stay originally (~$150 night). We decided to prepay, which afforded us a greater discount. I work in, and around Orlando and saw the Melia hotel recently, and thought it may be nice. We arrived at the hotel, and our room wasn’t ready at the time (check in 4, we arrived at 3). We were told that we couldn’t check into the requested room, but for $20/night we could check into an upgraded room that was ready and that overlooked to pool. We chose against that option, and left our number in case our room was ready earlier. We ran some errands, and when we returned, our room was ready (after 4:00) but there wasn’t a call. I didn’t worry about it much, as we did wait until check in.

The Hotel: The lobby is clean, and very modern looking. There are bellmen, but we just used a cart to take our stuff to the room. The condition of the hotel is good, but I noticed numerous large scuffs and scratches on the wall. One in particular, the orange hallway on the buildings to the left, made the hotel look unclean. Also, there was a bag of trash on the sidewalk in the left side parking lot when we checked in on Friday. As of Saturday evening, at 12:00am, it was still there unmoved.

The room: The room was clean, and of average (if not smaller) size. There is a living/dining area attached to the kitchen. The kitchen lacks a stove, but does have a cook top, full refrigerator, and microwave. It also has plates, and serving utensils, which made cooking for the kids easy. While there was dish soap, there was not any dishwasher powder (not even a complimentary one to get you started). There was also a coffee maker, which in our room had not been cleaned from the previous guest. It still contained a couple of tea bags in the filter, and the remnants of the tea in the pot. There also is not a wash rag or sponge. The bedrooms were clean, and beds comfy. The bathrooms are large, and clean. The berber carpet in the rooms was clean, with only a couple of small spots that you had to look hard to find. The lighting was adequate, but the lamps didn’t all work. The windows, however, are FILTHY with cobwebs and mold growing on the outside.

The service: They were friendly at check in, and let me know about the resort fee (for services that aren’t even here at the hotel), but I know that this is common at the resorts in Orlando. The issue that I had with them, however, was regarding the “complimentary” breakfast that was listed in the check in materials. When I headed to the dining area to get coffee on Sunday, I was asked for a voucher. I shared with the host that I was only there for coffee, and I was a guest at the hotel. After speaking to the front desk, I was told that of July 5, they no longer offered complimentary breakfast, and that the breakfast would cost $7/person. My wife called the front desk, and was told that we could get coffee, and that the hostess would be informed. When we returned, the hostess again asked for a voucher, although I again told her I was there for only coffee. After a moment, she begrudgingly agreed, letting me know she was never informed. BTW: There is a charge for "full service" room cleaning that they try to pass off as them being "green." How about applying the resort fee to room cleaning, as most folks won't use the "resort" charges ever.

Bottom line: Melia is not the worst I’ve seen, but then again, it’s not the best. While I understand it’s trying to pass itself off as a boutique hotel, there’s some fine details that they are missing and this hurts the score.

Room Tip: The pool view wasn't noisy, and they pool side rooms come with balconies. If this isn't imp...
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My family and i stayed for 2 nights after booking our stay through hotwire. The highlights of the hotel is its location, pool, and bed. The bed is super comfortable! I usually have back aches and did not experience any on this bed. The bad is that we found a huge roach when we opened the sofa bed! We complained and got the resort fees taken off. We asked for a roll away and it never arrived. Breakfast is coffee, water, or tea with a small pastry item- not a full breakfast as we expected. The kitchen was not fully stocked as described on Hotwire. Over all the bathroom was really clean and everything was restocked the next morning. But with the price tag and extra fees, it was not worth the money to us.

• Stayed July 2013
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Melia Orlando was such a pleasant surprise. I had never stayed at a Melia resort and I am so glad that I did. The moment that we walked throught the doors we were greeted with kindness and smiles (Ken was terrific). Our room was ready and immaculate. Our room had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen area and a living area with three full size televisions. The hotel sits back away from the road providing a quietness that you wouldn't expect from the Orlando area. The rooms themselves were also very quiet, we didn't hear a peep from anyone else. Our housekeeping was very good most of the days, only one day did we not have trash bags in the trash containers or paper towels or waters. The pool area is so beautiful and wasn't congested like a lot of places can be. Always fresh towels and great pool side service. The pool was great for kids because it had the zero depth side for them to play in. There's also a laundry room to wash your clothes if needed, which is a nice bonus. The rooms are so spacious and clean, there was plenty of room to bring friends and family. The morning breakfast was very nice. It consisted of bagels, cereals, fruit, pastry, toast, teas and coffee- which is complimentary. The bar area was very clean and had a nice atmosphere. You could order a pizza or other foods to go whenever you were hungry or eat there! I can't say enough nice things about the hotel- it was fabulous!! There was a man that was always working hard with a very friendly smile, his name was Miguel, he was ALWAYS working hard at the hotel every time that we saw him.The location is the best part, it was only about an eight minute drive to all of the parks and there were multiple restaurants seconds away from you. I was amazed at how easy it was to travel around by car with little congestion, especially in July. The Melia also provides shuttles to the parks and outlets, they worked very well and were pretty efficient. Having stayed on the Disney resorts before, this time our trip to Orlando was so much better because of Melia!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having just returned from a 2 week stay at the Melia, our first night didn't go according to plan. Along with my wife and 2 teenage daughters 17 and 15, we were put into a room with a disabled bathroom just of the bedroom. My daughters had a sofa bed, which was appalling. You couldn't just see the springs in the mattress, you could count them. After the first night my daughters were in so much discomfort that I decided to ask for a new mattress. Before I got that far, my youngest daughter had a shower on the first morning, and we ended up with a flooded bathroom with water running into the bedroom. With the bathroom set up for a disabled person, the shower just had a curtain, with very little drainage or floor gradient to allow water to run away. The bathroom was flooded after 2 minutes and we had to use our own towels to stem the flow of water. A telephone call to reception was met with a response of "maintenance don't start for another 15 minutes" After complaining about the lack of assistance to dry the bathroom floor and bedroom carpet we were offered another room, which overlooked the car park, however the sofa bed was just as bad. Refusing this room ended with my wife and I arguing our points with the reception staff and manager before they decided to upgrade us to a 2 bedroom suite. This room was excellent and couldn't be faulted. The pool area was very clean and couldn't be faulted. Live music at the weekends was also excellent. Paul in the bar was a star and very customer focussed. Certain reception staff could learn from him. Ken and Hector the courtesy bus drivers were also excellent. Celebration is a beautiful town and well worth a visit. After getting over the initial disappointment, we had a great holiday, however the jury is out on whether we would return to the Melia.

Room Tip: Book a 2 bedroom suite if there are more than 2 in your party, the sofa beds are appalling.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Marcus G, Front Office Manager at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Good Afternoon and thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us here at the Melia Orlando Suite Hotel. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and service excellence and I am disappointed to hear that we have missed the mark.

I have investigated the issues you have brought to light with the appropriate department heads and we are handling the resolutions internally. In order to further research and target areas of opportunity, I would like to get more details from you.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback regarding your last stay, and I would love to get to chat with you more. Please feel free to e-mail us at meliaorlando@melia.com so that I may have the opportunity to speak with you personally.
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My wife and I shared a 2 bedroom suite with my 9 year old niece and my parents during a trip to Disney World.

The hotel is beautiful, inside and out. The hallways, public areas, lobby, rooms, and pool area are clean, ultra-modern, and just generally beautiful. It really goes against the typical "hotel" look and feel, and looks more like an upscale apartment or condo building. The location is perfect, just a few minutes from Disney and close to Kissimmee's endless stores and restaurants.

The only thing I wasn't 100% satisfied with was the service, and even then, my complaints are relatively minor. The hotel layout is pretty confusing - it's broken into several buildings and everything looks the same. I got lost once or twice, and on one occasion, upon asking a maintenance worker where the lobby was, he seemed shocked and asked "You don't know where the lobby is?!" Not a big deal, but it struck me as a little rude. Also, my mom is a travel agent and booked us through a special rate, which I assume has something to do with the next issue. The "complementary" breakfast requires vouchers, which we never received. So we were stopped at the breakfast buffet, asked to check with the front desk about vouchers, and told we didn't have them on our reservation. I'd just be careful about counting on having free breakfast, we did, and ended up paying for breakfast every day.

I really did like this hotel, I just felt a little less than welcome. I would, however, stay here again.

Room Tip: Pool view pools are great.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I will never stay at a Disney resort again after staying at this hotel. The hotel is located a 10 minute car ride away from Animal Kingdom, ESPN Sports Zone and Blizzard Beach. It is near a Publix Supermarket and other basic shopping. And the hotel boasts an abundance or reasonably priced one and two-bedroom suites with fully stocked kitchens. The full size refrigerator, microwave and stovetop means that you can cook a dinner if you wish at the end of a long day - a real bonus for families with small children. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The cost which is HALF or more of what you would pay at Disney includes breakfast and access to a gorgeous pool. Only those brainwashed by Disney would stay on site. This is the much smarter place to stay, hands down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration? Share your experiences!