“had a great time and stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 35%
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
kb613
“had a great time and stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

It was an excellent stay for my family. We have a 5 year old who loved the pools and the minature golf course. It was close to disney(was at the parks in 5 mins). All the staff we delt with were really nice and couldn't have asked for a better stay. Never ate at the Dunes resturant, but heard it was nice. I did not deal with the sales pitch either. Sales person asked if I had tickets the area attractions, she had some that were discounted. I advised her we had bought out tickets ahead of time. Stayed there 7 days and was never bothered re:buying a time share or taking a tour.

This was our 1st trip to Orlando, and when I go back I will stay at this Resort. The grounds were pretty and the villias were nicely laid out. You will have to bring your own shampoo and personal hygine things, this is not a HOTEL it is a Resort. Washing machine was great in the room, didn't have to pack at much.

The only problem that there was, the pool that was close to our unit was closed due to construction, but I already knew one was going to be closed. The main pool was just a short walk or drive away and we went up to that pool. They have alot of activites going on all day long for children and adults. We didn't do the activites due to going to the parks during the days.

Great stay and will return back!

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

I live in Orlando, and trust me, you can get some pretty shady hotels and deals -- especially when dealing with time shares. It's clear that many, many people got this hotel either for free or at a deep discount because of a time share pitch. Or they possibly went for the free Disney and other tickets that are offered, and got sacked with the same sales pitches. If you go those routes, it's not Wyndham, but the real estate people -- it happens all over Orlando, if you take people up on their "free/discount" offers. Why oh why would you bother yourself with real estate people while you're on vacation? It's not worth saving a few bucks!

We did not! We actually paid $134 to stay for 1 night in the mid-sized 1,050 sq. ft. suite (bedroom plus living area and kitching). We were NEVER bothered -- NOT EVEN ONCE -- with timeshare sales, free tickets, etc... I don't think people realize what they are signing up for when they go for free/reduced accommodations and/or tickets. Not worth it at all!

The value is outstanding for Orlando, and it's not far from Disney's main "World Drive" at all. The 1,050 sq. ft. layout is ideal for couples and families (up to 4, 5 or even 6!) alike. The larger unit could even take 12 (although 8 would probably be more like it). It's roomy, has all the appliances and services you want. Two sinks, a bath/wirlpool and separate shower, etc... Even the toilet was well laid out as it opens to both the main room and the bedroom.

My wife and I went to Typhoon Lagoon for the day, then crashed for the night -- including an excellent dinner at the clubhouse. The clubhouse is so well done and the staff very accommodating that we are considering hosting an anniversary party there next year. I don't know what people are complaining about -- the clubhouse was the best detail yet (and we're not golfers at all)!

Some key things to know about the hotel ...

1. These are Villas! They take up a lot of room!

This is not a hotel, but spacious Villas of 650 sq. ft., 1,050 sq. ft. and even larger 2-bedroom that is larger than my own 3-bedroom house! These are easily 2, 4 and 6x the size of a typical hotel room. As such, the campus is very large, and there are not going to be a pool next to every building (of dozens). You either have to walk or wait for carts to shuttle you around.

If you don't like that, then stay in a hotel where the rooms are 250 sq. feet and they can pack 1,000 within the same building. That way, you can always reach the pool or anything else. Yes, they are renovating 2 more pools that will make them more accessible to each building. The fact that they are Villas -- with less than 50 units/building and not hundreds like a hotel -- is why not every building has a pool.

I don't know why people don't get that. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. This isn't a hotel with lots of small rooms in the same vicinity.

2. The staff was courteous! Took care of my wife and I!

Maybe it's because I'm a Wyndham ByRequest member (which is free to join), but they took care of me every step of the way. I booked last second so they didn't have me in their system when we showed up. But at no time did they cause me grief or question my reservation. Although it took a bit longer to manually enter me into the system (I was given apologies several times by several people), they took care of me and called my wife and I up to make sure everything was okay about a hour later.

Check-out was cake. No hidden charges.

We had no problems with the condition, sheets, etc... We had fresh towels and other things. We didn't book a time share or other retail pitch, we booked a "stay" -- so that's probably the difference between our stay and most of the other reviews here. And we books all for about the same price as a Disney hotel room that would be 1/4th the size.

Wyndham takes care of you. Real estate and other people giving you "freebies" cost you more in the end -- that's not Wyndham. ;)

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2006

There are so many things wrong with this place. I can't even bring myself to call it a resort. The pictures are so deceiving. The sign at the entrance and the size of the unit were the ONLY things that were nice. Everything was so far away (restaurant, pool, lobby...actually there wasn't a lobby. It's a TRAILER) you had to wait for a shuttle to pick you up to take you anywhere. There are only a few buildings within walking distance to the pool. So even if you wanted to go to the pool, which by the way was either really, really old or just plane dirty, you either had to walk at least a mile or wait for the shuttle. There was a very questionable person on the corner by the pool. A policeman took him away but then there was another one right after that. He asked us if he "could get us anything". Very alarming. The pool....ohhhh, it was gross. I think the staff must be underpaid because evidently they had much better things to do than to help us with ANYTHING. Wow, I could go on and on but I'm just getting myself worked up about it.....what a disappointment it all was. We actually ended up staying at another hotel. Which made this a very expensive vacation, we had 2 hotels! This, I promise you, is NOT a 5 star hotel. I would say it is more like a 2 star. Save yourself the disappointment and book somewhere else. I read the reviews, called the hotel in advace, she told me not to worry about it, they are a 5 star hotel. So I did go with an open mind, not expecting much so I wouldn't be sad we booked our family vacation here and STILL it was HORRIBLE. Westgate was right next door. It looked nice, maybe try that one.

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2006

As far as Timeshares go, the Wyndham Palms is the worse place we've ever stayed. Here is a list of of our complaints:

Rude Staff - No one on the resort was friendly, other than the bartender at the main pool. All of the people at the front desk were unfriendly and made it feel like a chore whenever we contacted them.

Too Much Sales - When you check-in you're forced to go on a golf cart trip around the resort so they can try and "sell" you on the property. We HAD to go on the ride. They would not give us our key until we did. I've never seen this at any other Timeshare.

Cheap - This place is so cheap they don't provide you with anything! No shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion, no salt, no pepper, no coffee filters. You also have to check-out hair dryers. Again, something all other timeshares we've stayed provided.

No Grills - No place to grill food. Again, something every other timeshare we've stayed provided. Probablly another way for them to impact their bottom line. No grills to encourage eating in their restaurant.

Small, overcrowded pools - they told us when we booked they had 4 pools. Two were under construction, and the two that were open were very small and overcrowded.

Dirty Rooms - The floors were so dirty they turned our feet black. We had 3 rooms for our large group, and experienced this filth in every room.

We almost always do Marriott Vacation Club, but it was booked this trip. Too bad. We'll never stay with Wyndham again. Hopefully others will have a better experience.

ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

We recently visited the resort during spring break.The unit we were in was a two bedroom in the new six storey building.The unit was very large, clean had all new leather furniture , a 52 inch HDTV , king bed in the master and new type of jacuzzi with the holes on the base. Very enjoyable and relaxing.The coffee pot had never even been used.The staff were helpful and friendly.We observed employees constantly cleaning or maintaining the property.The areas were sprayed ,even the elevators so no sign of bothersome insects.The golf course was fantastic and so was the food at the very upscale clubhouse.
There were only three pools open so they were crowded as it was March break but there was alot of organized activities for the kids and teens.Looking forward to going back.There will be two more pools open shortly and one has water slides, sand volleyball etc.(more directed towards kids).Close to Disney,shopping etc but not on the main street.The property is over 600 acres so no issues with noise.Would love to own a timeshare here.Well worth visiting.

• Stayed March 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

Make sure that you have had an opportunity to read over the timeshare contracts before signing. The salespeople are very rude when they determine you are not going to buy. A piece of advice: be certain that you understand ALL the costs involved and their trading policies.

They wanted my husband to make a decision right there at that moment, otherwise the "deal" was off the table. I wanted to take the paperwork home and read over the fine print before signing. They refused to let me take the papers home. CLUE: NEVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITHOUT THE OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE IT HOME READ AND EVEN HAVE SOMEONE ELSE LOOK AT THE CONTRACT. IF THE SALESPERSON DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO DO THIS, THEY MUST BE TRYING TO HIDE SOMETHING!! Our tour was scheduled at 11:00am, and we didn't get out until 3:30pm!!!

I must say that the resort was very nice, but there were some customer service issues and your reservations may get lost among the administrative stuff that goes on.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

We were disappointed by our recent stay at the Wyndham Palms Resort & Country Club .
For the large size of the property they have only 2 pools that are currently open. They are building additional pools but even those under construction are too small for the units they are expected to serve. We couldn't enjoy the pools because there were rowdy teenagers and unsupervised kids batting waterballs into the pools. It was a dangerous situation since the pool was overly crowded. There was a real shortage of pool chairs and umbrellas. I went to speak with resort management about the rowdy kids and lack of supervision at the pool. The situation never improved. In my opinion, they are neglecting their responsiblity to maintain safe conditions at their poolside. Kids were still doing cannonballs into the crowded pool and hitting waterballs at high speed. There were repeated cries from a youngster that got hit from a flying ball or was overtaken by a big splash from a teenager doing a back flip into the pool. This was being done in the shallow end of the pool!
As for the accomodations...the 2 bedroom unit was generous in size/space. It is very nice to have a washer and dryer in the unit. The linens on the beds need to be replaced. The ivory color sheets were obviously well used. At first look the unit appeared to be clean. However, when we opened up the sleeper sofa and moved a coffee table....we found all kinds of food crumbs under the rug and the sofa.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!