“Mystic Dunes” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Celebration
Johnsburg, Illinois
“Mystic Dunes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was skeptical going here after ordering with a groupon code. we stayed in a 2 bedroom with our 3 kids! It was awesome! clean, a jacuzzi tub with plenty of towels and a great view of their golf course. The pool was a little bit of a walk but well worth it! I would stay here again vs gloing to disneys value and moderate hotels

Room Tip: ask for unit closer to pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

1,674 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed at the resort from 1/1/13 to 1/10/13. We booked two separate rooms with all the amenities. When we arrived they couldn't find my reservation (I reserved and paid through Hotwire). After I present my confirmation document they told me they don't have 2 rooms available. They offered us a 2 bedrooms suite, but sharing the kitchen and living room. I accepted, since I was traveling with my brother and his family. No money adjustment was made.

Other than that, the resort is spectacular. The two bedrooms suite was enormous. One of the rooms has a king size bed, jacuzzi, separate shower and two sinks. The other room has two queen size beds an plenty of storage. It also has an additional bathroom. The sofa bed has a memory foam mattress which was comfortable enough for my girls (8 & 10).

The kitchen has all the supplies required (cups, glasess, dishes, pans, even baking pans, forks, knifes, etc). They provide kitchen towels and sponge to clean the dishes. The kitchen also has dishwasher machine and washer/dryer.

The suite has a screened balcony with a table and roof fan.

Overall, the room was amazing. The outdoors are clean and well maintained. It is close to Disney and Universal theme parks. An excellent selection for visiting the parks if you are traveling with the family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

One of the main reasons we chose this resort was that its website said that it offered complementary shuttle service to the Disney and Universal parks. We were not planning on renting a car, so we wanted to make sure we would have transportation to the the parks. The site also said, their shuttle service ran from 7am - 10pm. We assumed that the shuttles would pick up every 20 minutes or so to get to the parks and we could pick them up whenever. Oh, how we should not have assumed. Their shuttle service was as follows:

7:30 am pick up to go to Universal and Sea World

9:10 am pick up to go to Animal Kingdom (All Disney Parks open at 9am or earlier...the shuttle had another hotel to stop at and would only drop off at Animal Kingdom. Therefore, we would not get to Animal Kingdom until about 9:45 ish...and then we would have to take a Disney Shuttle to the actual park we wanted. This would cause us to be at least and hour or more late to any park!)

11:30 am Pick up to go to Epcot (Absolutely worthless! On many days we were there, since it was a holiday, the parks would be at capacity before 11:30. We actually talked to a bus driver who said he had someone crying because they came from Russia to go to Epcot, only to discover that because they took the 11:30 am shuttle, they could not get in to the park!)

7:30p pm pick up at Universal (The park closes at 9pm...definitely disappointing to loose 1.5 hours at the parks)

4:50 pm pick up at Epcot (This was the worse pick up. The thing that killed me about this pick up was that the SAME bus would then travel to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. However, since the resort will only pay for a pick up at Epcot, we could not get the SAME shuttle bus at Animal Kingdom at 5:20. On Friday, when we were at Animal Kingdom, we therefore had to leave at 4pm to take a free Disney shuttle to Epcot, to pick up the hotels shuttle at 4:50pm, just to go straight back to Animal Kingdom at 5:20pm. When we called to explain how ridiculous that situation was to them, they said there was nothing they could do! How about letting us on the 5:20 shuttle???)

11:30 pm pick up at Magic Kingdom Ticket Section. (The Magic Kingdom Ticket Section is NOT at Magic Kingdom. You must take a Disney Shuttle from Magic Kingdom (Or another Disney Park), to the Ticket Section to pick up the shuttle. Also a problem, since most of the parks close at 10pm. So you either had to leave insanely early at 4:30 or sit around for an hour and a half outside in the rain for the 11:30 shuttle.)

To make matters worse, Mystic Dunes is first on, last off for every pick up/drop off. So, expect a good hour bus ride from a park that is 15 minutes away.

Oh yes, and the place where they drop you off/pick you up at Mystic Dunes is about a good 3/4 mile away from any of the hotel rooms. We called several times to have a golf cart pick up at the shuttle drop off (usually 15 minutes before we would get to the hotel), and after 6 days of using the shuttle service, we only ever got picked up once. The other times, we had to walk to the office, to get them to call a golf cart pick up and then wait for 20 minutes for it to come!

As a result of their horrible shuttle schedule, we did end up paying for a taxi each day to get us to the Disney Parks. Unfortunately, we didn't find out until near the end of our stay that the transportation service that Mystic Dunes recommends (Platinum Transportation) severely overcharges for their Taxi Service. They charge $30 to take you to any Disney park, Mears transportation charges $20-$25.

Their hotel rooms are also EXTREMELY outdated. The T.V.'s in the room were all old, tube televisions, with the one in the main room one of those old projection televisions. The T.V. in my room did not work from day 1. I called them every day to have someone get it fixed or replace it. It was not fixed until the second to last night of our stay. That was an ordeal in itself as well...

When I was at the office on that day, I actually asked them if they had switched out my tv. I was getting tired of having notes saying it was fixed, when it never was. The person at the desk said that his notes stated they had replaced my tv with a flat screen. After dinner, when I went back to my room, I saw they in fact had not switched my tv. When I called at 8pm to have them come up and do what they said they had already done, it took an hour. When they finally replaced the tv., it only received 1 channel! They finally fixed it by 11pm. Too late for me to watch tv. So I really only had tv for one night during my whole stay!

They do not change the towels or take out the trash. Extra towels cost $20. If you do not strip your bed at the end of your stay (and put it in the bathtub), they charge $250. This was all written in their lovely welcome letter. This is NOT the norm for timeshares. In the other timeshares we stay at, we usually get 1 thorough cleaning mid-week and fresh towels daily if we desire.

Throughout all this, we never once received anything other than "I'm Sorry". The minimum they could have done was give us a day credit. Instead, all we heard were several "Sorry's" and excuses. Apparently, Diamond bought the resort a year and a half ago when the resort was in bankruptcy. They are trying to make it their head hotel, but with this type of customer service, I would be surprised if that every happens. They are apparently updating their resort right now, but we ended up in one of the old rooms (still had to pay the same timeshare trading fee).

Oh, and I almost forgot. When I was forced to strip the bed at the end of my stay, or face a $250 charge, I found a lovely yellow pee stain on the mattress cover. Well done Mystic Dunes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed in a nice condo. Clean facilities. Plenty of pool time for the kids (if you have any). Rates are very reasonable. Plenty of activities such as tennis, golf, etc. Near plenty of restaurants as well, 4 miles from outlet malls. Enjoy! Oh, and did I mention the hot tub for two in the room?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Northern Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife & I just returned from a four night stay at Mystic Dunes Resort. There are some nice things about the resort, and then... there are some very bad things about Mysic Dunes. So let me share my experience and remove some of the mystery out of Mystic for you.

THE GOOD:
The property is beautiful. The entryway to the resort gave me hope that this was going to be a great place. There is a guarded entryway and there is security on-grounds that patrols the area. The groundskeepers do a fantastic job, and you can see from our pictures that the property is lovely to look at.

The guest lobby is nice/clean and the staff were polite and helpful.

The pool with the waterfall is nice, well maintained, bathrooms were clean all week and there were plenty of clean towels/chairs. There is a bar at this pool with a very limited selection of beverages. The frozen drinks were $6 each, and they were good. The pool has a very fun tunnel-slide that is directly supervised by one staff member to prevent injuries/horseplay, and the resort does a good job with that.

Golf fees were listed at $100/day for non-owners. We don't golf and I couldn't tell you if that included a cart or not. The brochure did indicate that the carts had GPS. But the golf fairways looked really nice.

THE BAD:
Our one-bedroom suite had a small kitchen with dishwasher, stove, microwave and refrigerator. There is a bar to sit at, but not a table. There was a sofa, a large-screen TV and a DVD player (no remote for the DVD player). There is no television guide. There was a very small desk/table with a chair in the living room. The desk had no light in the area and it was dark there. The refrigerator was old and had recently been repainted to cover the blistering rust. They painted the door without protecting the tile floor so the tile floor has white spray paint on it as well. The seals on the frig/freezer had what looked to be black mold on them (see photos).

There is no deck on this suite, but there is a sliding door that can be opened. The glass sliding doors were covered with a disgusting green-colored algae type of growth. Clearly the windows on the outside of this building had not been cleaned in a very long time (see photos).

The suite had a washer/dryer, but the dryer took 3 hours to dry clothes as the venting is obviously in need of cleaning. The bi-fold door in front of the washer/dryer was falling off the track. It would swing open and hit the hallway wall. The track on the top was bent and had been repaired with a drywall screw that obviously didn't work. The bathroom has a shower and there is a jet-spray tub in the bedroom. The shower was nice, good water pressure and hot water. The caulking around the shower is discolored and in need of replacing. The jet-sray tub is very loud and doesn't really work very well at all. Unless you pay extra, you'll have to wash your own towels and washcloths as nobody will come to your room and replace them (at least they didn't for us).

The safe in our room did not work. I called the front desk and they said somebody came to the room but was unable to repair it as it needed a locksmith... they said the locksmith wouldn't be back for 3 days. The safe never got repaired while we were there so we had ot lug our valuables with us everytime we left the room. The air conditioning did not work when we arrived, but after calling, they sent somebody and did repair it that day.

DID I MENTION THE BLACK NASTY MOLD-LIKE STUFF ON THE REFRIGERATOR DOORS? YUCK! The really funny thing about this resort is that they play a video continuously on one of their channels. The video has the CEO of Diamond Resorts bragging about what a great resort they have and at one point he explains that they even put a card under the bed that reads, "YES, WE EVEN CLEAN UNDER HERE"! Well great, but I don't really care about dust bunnies under the bed when I've got mold growning on the refrigerator seals and I can barely see out the sliding glass doors! HELLO?

You have to take your own trash out, make your own beds or pay $45/day extra for that service. At the end of your stay you are required to strip the beds and gather up all the linens and place them in the bathtub.

The room we were given should not have been rented out to anybody. The person who decided to keep the old, nasty refrigerator in that room should find a new line of work.

No, I would never stay at a Diamond Resort Again.

If you pay more than $19/night, you've paid too much.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if there are any good rooms at this resort. Our room was a bad one.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Penna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed in a condo at the resort while visiting Disney and Universal studios. Beautiful surroundings; loved waking up to the back patio view of the golf course and the layout and size was incredible. Disney and Orlando were a very short drive away. The pools were also lovely. I would love to return!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

For the $$ it is still good.Being taken over by Diamond and the comittment to improve.Some of the units are updated and some are not.First visit was in 08 great, second 2010 great and third 10 days over new years was OK. We were not in an updated unit (owners take priority, but that was OK we were bust everyday anyway.It is in a great proximty to Disney and other attractions.We have 6 children (newborn to 12) everyone was entertained by various activities when we were there.The Main Pool with the falls/slide was heated and serves drinks.Staff were very nice, we needed a tap fixed .Everything we asked for we received promptly.We had a neighbour complain about noise from our kids and friends of our kids outside of our unit(we were asked to be put side by side and were not) Security was good about it . all in all it was good

Did not like they were going to charge 10.00 a day for snail speed internet.Apparenty that just changed and it is free , they really need to update that service (I do have stuff to look after and need interenet) Kenzies resturant (on grounds) delivers and has decnt food.If I were to compare the package to anything in Canada It would be considerably better for a fraction of the cost.
You will be offered incentives to take "the Tour" If you don't cave to high pressure professional closers you'll be alright. They will drop the price of Theme park tickets greatly or offer you straight up cash to do it . The sales people on this time around were not too bad , last time the guy was a total dick because I wasn't buying in. Hope this helps !

Room Tip: ask for the newly renovated Suites , If you are a time share Owner you'll take priority
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!