“Wow - completely shocked and pleasantly surprised! Huge rooms, hot pool and 5 star beds!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club

Save up to 35%
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Celebration
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked this resort for our 8 day Disney/Universal trip through a Florida Vacation Rental website. We are a family of four with two children, 8 and 10 years old. We usually stay at the Hilton Bonnet Creek but decided on a value resort to compensate for the high cost of park tickets. Great decision!

I loved having a full kitchen at Mystic Dunes and the two bedroom upgrade for less than $20 more/night was totally worth it!

The unit was spotless, the beds were brand new (and better quality than those at the Westin or Hilton), and the main pool was beautiful and very warm. I expected the worst after reading the reviews and was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

We checked-in easily and painlessly without coming across any timeshare representatives. In fact, we were NOT bothered at all during our 7 night stay. Other than one midweek phone call, we did not see or hear from anyone at the resort. I loved this privacy.

Our two bedroom unit (building 23, 4th floor) was HUGE with the master suite on the opposite side from the kids' room, separated by the open concept living space. We enjoyed this privacy and liked having two full baths. Well worth upgrading to a two bedroom!

Yes, the kitchen cabinets and counters are outdated BUT this is shown in all photos - not a surprise and not a deal breaker. Everything worked, fully equipped and spotless. I have major issues with germs and this unit had me at ease. I appreciated the clean leather sofas, ceramic tiled floors, glass table and lack of "stuff" in the living space. They even have signs under the beds that read, "Yes, we clean under here too."

Positives: Free parking, free wifi IN our room, great pool for kids, in-room laundry, and a large screened porch.

Negatives: Carpet in bedrooms

• Stayed December 2012

1,674 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Let me start with the positive, the grounds were well kept and there was plenty of parking. As for the rest it was avg. to below avg. The check in area was chaotic and the and the staff seemed disinterested and in a hurry for breaktime. When we found the building we were staying in, approx.half a mile from the front desk, we carried half our luggage up to the room only to find that the keys didnt work. After lugging our luggage back down and putting it back into our vehicle, we drove back to the front desk, where after standing in line again we received new keys and a half-hearted apology. We eventually did get into our room and were not impressed. The rooms are large and do have all of the amenities you would want, however the rooms are far from homey. The decor needed replaced, many of the appliances also needed replaced and did not work well. Overall the room was dirty, lightbulbs were burnt out. The room was cold with an echo. The next morning we woke with a new attitude but found that the internet was not WIFI in this resort. The pools, though there were several, were small and shallow. Most/many resorts we have stayed at have a snack/tiki bar at the pool and there was only one restaurant which was another road trip past the registration building. If you wanted to order out and have food delivered because restaurant hours weren't the best, you were limited to the 1 pizza place that they had a contract with and allowed on the grounds, otherwise you had to meet your delivery at the security entrance. On 2 more occasionas during out stay, our keys did not work and we received the same half-hearted apology. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience. I would compare it value wise to a Comfort Inn, certainly not a resort hotel. I would recommend the Hilton Grand Vacations @ Sea World which is the same style resort but much nicer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

With many choices in the Disney area, I was confused. But after receiving a Groupon for Mystic Dunes, I booked us a four night stay. A bit nervous about timeshare units, I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The grounds are perfect, our unit, although not a 5 star facility, is spacious, well stocked with everything you need, the Lagoon pool is beautiful and well heated and the restaurant is pretty darn good.

All the staff has been professional and very helpful. One thing I would suggest, the local grocery stores are greatly lacking so when booking, check out the grocery option of basics that the resort offers. I wish I had purchased it and made my life just a bit easier. The onsite store is another option and very convenient.

As a timeshare, of course we were asked to do the tour but when I declined there was no change in the positive, courteous attitude.

We will be back, Groupon or not. And maybe next time if we have more time, I'll even tour.

Room Tip: Get a unit near the Lagoon pool. Wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lake George, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We are Diamond Resorts owners and this was our first time staying at Mystic Dunes. We stayed in Building 22 and the room was great. Diamond has just begun the process of renovating this resort as they just acquired it last year from Tempus Resorts after they (Tempus) filed for bankruptcy. This all takes time and doesn't happen overnight.

I will say one thing though. I think that this property should follow suit like some other Diamond properties and go to a NO SMOKING policy! The one thing that really bothers me is to be relaxing poolside and having to smell cigarette smoke! Diamond, at the very least, can you designate smoking away from the pool areas, like outside of the fenced-in area? We also enjoy eating on the screened-in patio but once again were chased inside by other people smoking on their patio/balconies. Again, when will Diamond change this policy? Honestly, my only complaint is about smoking on the property. The health of the majority should be of upmost importance to Diamond.

By the way, Diamond has the most comfortable beds and pillows on this earth!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family and I stayed at this resort for a reasonable price as a trial to their vacation ownership offer. The a/c apartment we stayed in had 2 spacious bedrooms and baths with a fully equipped kitchen, a dining room for six and large living room outfitted with a large entertainment unit and comfortable leather couches. In addition to the stylish decor, there was a large screened-in balcony overlooking the resort. There were many pools, snack bars, a fine restaurant/bar and planned activities if so desired and the administration of of the resort seemed to be well in hand. My kids and grandkids had a fabulous time as did I. The resort was close to all attractions and shopping, including Disneyworld, yet far enough away from the bustle to enjoy some downtime. My only complaint was the hard sell to buy into the property wherein they really turned the screws. When I turned down the offer they were quite hostile instead of professional.

Room Tip: Apartments away from the pools or higher up are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Longmont, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here through a timeshare week. The room (a 2 bedroom) is sterile and plain. Lobby is sub-par and really sets a poor tone. TV is an old, large projection that has a constant vertical line running. Bathroom shower drain is disgusting.
Not a roach motel, but by no means is it a gold star, gold palm or above a 3 star facility.
I will not be staying here again, and I will think hard about any other Diamond resort.

• Stayed January 2013
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Mystic Dunes is my home resort and I have been hoping for much needed capital improvements to the resort. Diamond International made a firm commitment to bring the resort back to 5 stars and they are well on their way to do just that. My unit in building 22 was about 50% renovated with new beds (very comfortable), kitchen appliances, new towels and new tv in living room. Granite counter tops and new living room furniture will take it back to 5 stars indeed.

Due to our schedule I did not have time to use the tennis court or fitness room. There is also a RedBox to rent movies located in the check-in building. This is the first December that I can remember it being so cold but that didn't stop folks from using the logoon pool which I guess the heater was definitely working.

The staff showed improvements as well. Everyone we came in contact with was pleasant and helpful.

The resort was full due to the various tournaments going on at ESPN Sports Complex which is why we were there as well. Although the soccer players had to be booted off the golf course from using it to practice, the staff appeared to handle that well.

Room Tip: Unit 22304 is a good unit.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!