“Great clam chowder” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Welcome to Tony's in the beautiful island community of Cedar Key. We are located in the Hale Building (circa 1880) in the downtown historical district across the street from the historical museum at 2nd Street and SR 24. Tony's is noted for our 3 time World Champion Clam Chowder and our fresh seafoods. We are a small 54 seat restaurant and very popular. During peak times (1-3pm) and (7-8pm) there maybe a wait for a table. We provide covered bench seating right outside the front entry. Please be patient if all tables are taken. Our wait staff is great at getting everyone in, especially those that are patient. Our inside front dining area has no waiting area, so please allow us to visit you outside the front covered area when your table is ready. At Tony's our policy is total customer satisfaction. If there is anything about your dining experience that is not acceptable, please inform your server right away and our Management staff will do whatever it takes to make sure you are completely satisfied with your dining experience. We love compliments from our diners and always encourage them to contact us. Thank you for making Tony's Seafood Restaurant Cedar Key's favorite for nearly 8 years.
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Great clam chowder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Tony's is famous for having won "best clam chowder" 3 years in a row and having their recipe retired. It is excellent clam chowder. I got the clam trio, which also had steamed clams and fried clam strips. It was all very good.

Visited August 2013
Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
So glad that you loved the chowder. Thank you very much. I appreciate your positive remarks. Please return again soon.

“The clam chowder was excellent and so full of flavor...the best ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The restaurant serves both lunch and dinner. Delicious. It's a great place to go and savor their seafood. It's a nice quaint place and the staff is friendly. I bought a can of the chowder to take home and I will certainly order it if I can't find it at Publix (They are selling to Publix). Definitely recommend a visit there.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Much appreciated! Thank you so very much for coming to join us and enjoying your experience. Please return again soon.
Winter Garden, Florida
“"Great Clam Chowder"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were on our way to Panama City, FL and we thought we would stop in to try Tony's Seafood Restaurant. I had heard a great deal about Tony's from my friends and from the Internet. The World Champion Clam Chowder is what it claims to be. I had the clam chowder with a house salad for lunch and I enjoyed it very much. My wife had grilled shrimp on a skewer with a salad and she said hers was also very good. I have seen some previous reviews about the service quality and I can state that we had very good service with a friendly smile included. I have tasted a lot of clam chowder over the years and Tony's makes some of the best. It was thick with lots of clams and potatoes in it and it was seasoned very well. This is comparable to San Francisco clam chowder that I use to eat years ago when I lived on the west coast. Tony's is worth the effort!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much. I appreciate your kind remarks and your time to review.
atlanta
“Came for Clams”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Tonys is in the middle of town and a well liked gathering place. They are proud of their clam chowder (cream based.) All four of our party got the clam trio (chowder, steamers, fried.) Clams are a local aqua culture crop in Cedar Key. They should be fresh as it gets! The chowder was a bit salty for my taste, but good. Steamers might have been a bit overcooked, and fried nuggets were good. Waitresses are friendly but on the slow side, so don't go if you're in a hurry. Overall we weren't blown away by the food, but we were satisfied.

Visited August 2013
Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
You came for clams and you got em. Lots of them. Cedar Key is known for it's clams and clam chowder. Every so often the chowder flavor profile is mistaken for salty.
It's a varied and intense blend of spices that some pallets can't discern. All that and those absent minded folks who instantly always salt and pepper foods before tasting and with our chowder that can really be an issue. Our chowder is ready to go, no need for salt, pepper or hot sauce. Even too many salty crackers can crank up the sodium. Thanks for the visit and the review.
Venice, Florida, United States
“A must See!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

You have to try their corn nuggets and their world winning clam chowder. They even have it to go or you can order it online! I had the teriyaki shrimp skewers which were pretty good. The waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable about what to visit!

Visited August 2013
Thank you for stopping in and then taking the time to send a review. Glad to know that you encourage others not to miss dropping into Tony's. Please return again soon.