“Terrible dining experience at the Blue Desert Cafe” 1 of 5 stars

352.543.9111
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Sevenoaks
“Terrible dining experience at the Blue Desert Cafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Following good reviews on Tripadvisor and a recommendation from a local, my wife and I visited here recently on a Saturday night (Sep. 8). Most reviews specified how interesting the decor was and the excellence of the food which was reported to be all freshly prepared by the owner chef and so we could expect a long wait. Many reviewers comment on the eclectic decor but to us it seemed like a large somewhat decrepit garden shed with the walls covered with any old junk the owner had picked up at flea markets. This apart we ordered our drinks (bottle of Corona for me, coffee for my wife) and the food - vegetable lasagna for her, sirloin steak tips burrito for me, and settled back for the anticipated long wait. The drinks came fairly soon (under 10 minutes) and the Corona was good and unfortunately proved to be the highlight of the visit. The coffee was none too hot and my wife said it was a bit bitter. The food was unexpectedly delivered after only a 20 minute wait and we soon found out why! My wife attempted to slice into her lasagna and found it was frozen solid in the middle - so much for everything bring freshly prepared. We sent it back and after (we assume) several minutes in the microwave it was returned and proved to be as unappetising as its appearance. My steak tip burrito was accompanied by black beans and rice which was tiny in grain and undercooked. The burrito shell tasted like wet cardboard. Finally the content of it - the sirloin steak - turned out to be just gristle which was totally inedible. I would not feed 'meat' of this quality to my dog! I make no comment on the beans as I was not brave enough to risk my teeth on them. We requested the bill - $34.99 - and despite leaving two full plates of food the waitress wasnt the slightest bit bothered by the obvious culinary disaster we had just experienced.
Every once in a while one of us will have a meal in a cafe which leaves a lot to be desired. However, we have never, ever, both had meals at the same time which were so appalling. To top it off my wife spent most of the next day on the loo!
The only person I would recommend makes 'a must visit' to the Blue Desert Cafe would be a health inspector. All other tourists to Cedar Key should avoid this place like the plague. If you want proper food served in a homely atmosphere at a reasonable price go to the Island Hotel in Cedar Key. We sat in the small room just off the bar and had 2 magnificent meals at less than what we paid for the garbage in the Blue Desert.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Greenville, South Carolina
“Has possiblities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Blue Desert has quirky decor and seems like it could be a really interesting place. We were there on a night only one other table was being served. The food was pretty good. My husband had crawdad etoufee and I had a shrimp and scallop burrito. I think the Blue Desert might be better during a busier time of year.

Visited September 2012
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Shrimp and scallop burrito”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The food here was above average. I would not say it was anything to write home about. Everything tasted fresh and had a good flavor. The prices were reasonable as well. The decor of the restuarant itself is very funky

Visited July 2012
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I had a yummy shrimp wrap and my husband had the ribs .Very good food.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Recommended by a local”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

A local advised me that this is one of two places he takes his wife in Cedar Key. We visited at dinner time and saw several very inviting dishes on the menu. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that we were in the mood for pizza rather than one of those "superior" dishes to be had, but we opted for the seafood pizza...something a little different from the usual pepperoni. It was very good, leading me to overindulge in both pizza and beer. The young lady who served us was friendly enough, in that very casual Cedar Key way. The lady who owns and cooks came out to meet us as we were leaving, and she seemed to be genuinely interested that we enjoyed the meal. The restaurant is very small, so I have no idea how it would be if it got crowded...I had been warned that the chef takes her time to make everything right, so don't go if you're in a hurry.

Visited June 2012