“Funky little joint with fantastic food and superfriendly service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Desert Cafe

Blue Desert Cafe
12518 state road 24, Cedar Key, FL 32625
352.543.9111
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Ethridge, Tennessee
“Funky little joint with fantastic food and superfriendly service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The lady here is as sweet as can be and even helped me carry my take-out to my car. I got the best take-out order I have gotten in a long time. She made sure I was well taken care of. I got a chicken burrito, baked potato, seafood pizza, and key lime pie. I actually ended up taking the baked potato all the way back to TN with me because the portions are so huge that it took a couple of days for us to get through everything. Everything was packed with care. I had a beer while I waited for my take-out. There is a sweet dog who lies peacefully by the restrooms. Vintage movie posters hang on the walls. It’s a cute funky little joint as you come in on Hwy 24. I can't wait to go back and be a regular.

Cedar Key
“Best Food, Always Consistant, Great Server, On Island Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We try to eat out locally at least once or twice a month. This place is my favorite and the Chicken Marsala is incredible as is the Bruschetta and Alligator and Seafood Burrito... This is not a get in get out quick kind of place. Go there wanting to enjoy good conversation, let your eyes roam all the eclectic stuff on the walls, have fun, relax and enjoy the southern charm of a great server/waitress. One cook, one server, no prepackaged or fried foods served. Only made fresh to order, so wait time can be up to 1 hour or longer on busy nights. So go an hour earlier than you would normally eat dinner and enjoy good conversation.

Cedar Key, Florida
“Good food and Good friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I had the seafood soup, with mussels, scallops, etc, very good! My spouse had an adaptation of the pizza, a calzone which was so huge, he had to take some home! My stepdaughter had the nachos. All together, it was a wonderful meal. They serve wine and beer, and sparkling water for people like me who do not drink.
We met up with friends there, as it is a favorite of local people also.

Hendersonville, Tennessee
“Prepared from Scratch--Don't get in a hurry.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

The Blue Desert Cafe has many points in its favor. Everything is prepared from scratch. Don't go if you're in a hurry. If you are, please go elsewhere and don't complain. This gal knows how to prepare every food on her menu, and she does it to perfection. Don't go expecting cheap--it's not. It's pricey to take a family of kids, though she will try to work with you on downsizing the portions and the prices to some extent. Don't go expecting great outdoor seating. It's not there, and though pets are welcome on the porch, I think you'd rather leave the furry babies at the beach house and enjoy the comforts inside. The current waitress has been there forever, and she knows everybody, loves everybody, and she'll break her back to make sure everything you want is done. Her service is over the top. Hope she stays--she is 80% of the charm of The Blue Desert Cafe. The owner is the cook, and she does it almost by herself. Again, it's all from scratch, to perfection, and it's not going to improve your blood pressure to be in a hurry. Relax, it's "island time". The variety is pretty incredible. You can get everything from a fabulous and huge take-out pizza to Mexican, Italian, seafood and pizza to eat in. She does it all, and remarkably, she does it all well. If you're going to be in Cedar Key for a week or more, put the Blue Desert Cafe on your list of "must try".

• Visited June 2011
Florida
“Charming Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Found the Blue Desert Cafe to be warm, charming and a bit on the funky side, which made it all the more appealing and comfortable. My friend and I started with a great pesto and minced tomatoe bruschetta that was delicious followede by a sampling of Cedar Key clams that were really a comfort food, not to mention, very tender and tasty. We then moved on to Florentine Raviolis (ricotta, spinach & blue cheese) with pesto sauce AND Wild Mushroom Raviolis with marinara and/or pesto sauce. I special ordered the side of marinara for the mushroom raviolis so that I could compare how it complimented the raviolis--both were great. The ravioli dishes were very good and plentiful, although the pizzas that were served to other diners looked divine. Molly, our waitress, provided the best service I've ever experienced in my 40+ years of dining out---a real people person, very efficient and helpful. We were fortunate to have met the Owner/Cook, Therese, who managed to take a few minutes away from the many demands of her diners, etc., and that was much appreciated. After that she stayed incredibly busy in the kitchen creating our wonderful meal, along with all others served that evening. Will take my husband next time instead of saving the leftovers for him!!

• Visited May 2011