“GREAT !!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Faraway Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Faraway Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Black Mountain, North Carolina
“GREAT !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

As my wife and I are part of a vacation program, we have enjoyed some very nice condos with oceanfront and oceanviews. And yes, the service at these condos has been pleasant but somewhat sterile. BUT...when you check in at the FARAWAY INN, you are the only person that the staff is focusing on at that very moment....until you are checked into your unit ! All others will need to wait and then they will become the total focus of this staff.

I can not thank you enough, Mr. Bauer, for upgrading my accomodations from a room to an efficiency for the original two nights that I had planned to stay there. But then, with a killing winter storm moving accross the country, I asked for another day to be added to my existing reservation. This was granted by a wonderful person by the name of Wendy.

However, this storm was coming into western NC more early than what had been forecasted...so, I chose to leave NC before it did hit my area. This then put me into Cedar Key at the Faraway inn well before my check-in time...but I needed so much relief from the trip that Wendy did upgrade me into a cottage that was ready at that early hour of the day. (GOD does have a special place in heaven for those that care for others.)

As this place is pet friendly, my wife and I were able to have our two dogs with us for the four days that we were there and I will want to come back to FARAWAY INN the next time that I go to Cedar Key.

Besides Wendy, there is Sam, who is so helpful in the same capacity as Wendy......Oliver, keep these people working for you as long as possible as they are an asset to you and to Faraway Inn patrons. Also, Steve is an unsong hero, but well deserving of the attention from all that stay there .

The whimsical things on the property were fun to find and photograph.......If anyone thinks that you have to have " five star place", just keep moving on to another place with your "bling". This place is for down to earth people that truly need a small break in life when it comes down to having a good and peaceful time while on the island......Oliver. Doreen, Wendy, Sam, And Steve give that to all of us that can make it to Cedar Key and stay at the INN. The place is charming, clean, and "old Florida". Again, being pet friendly is a big plus. Our two dogs took us for nice long walks while we were there. The sunsets, good eats and slow pace on the island is hard to beat.

"J"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
FarawayInn, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
All I can say is WOW! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and gave us such an awesome review. We are always thrilled when guests share their positive experiences about Faraway Inn and the wonderful people helping to make your stay a better one. Wendy, Steve and Sam are as good as they come and we are so fortunate to have them on our team. They go above and beyond in assisting guests and making them feel comfortable. We always enjoy when folks bring their best friends (pooches) with them. We welcome you back anytime you require some fun in the sun and R&R. Please let all your doggie friends know there is a place that truly is pet friendly and clean.
Doreen and Oliver Bauer owners/innkeepers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I chose Cedar Key for a two-day stop-over and loved it. I found the Faraway Inn easily, staff were friendly and helpful, and the room is clean, comfortable and well-equipped. Ideal for anyone wanting to relax and let the rest of the world carry on.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem fine - some have views of the Gulf
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
FarawayInn, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are so pleased that you chose Faraway Inn for your stay. We hope that you visit again and please do let your friends know about us. Everyone deserves a relaxing get-a-way and as you said "let the rest of the world carry on". Also know that when you stay at Faraway Inn you help us with our community service work of trap neuter return of our islands stray and feral cats.
Respectfully,
Doreen and Oliver Bauer owners/innkeepers
Homer, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Big rooms/cottages with excellent beds and kitchen. Very quiet area; not in the busy part of town but within a few blocks (you can walk to everything, including restaurants). Small town, no fancy night life but if you're going to Cedar Key you are not looking for that anyway. Faraway Inn is reasonably priced, not the cheapest place in town but it is the best! They have cute landscaping with a relaxing outside sitting area, free bike and kayak use. And we saw sharks right across the street from the inn, very exciting :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
FarawayInn, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. You work hard for your money so we really want to please you when staying with us. We hope you enjoyed the bikes and kayaks for exploring. It could be possible that you saw some small sharks across from us but it may have been dolphin fins that you saw. We often have dolphin sightings in the Gulf Water across from the Faraway Inn. There has been a TV documentary done on the unique feeding pattern of our local resident dolphin population. We sure hope to have you visit Cedar Key again and stay at Faraway Inn. We promise to always keep our rooms fresh and clean and our property fun and unique.
Respectfully,
Doreen and Oliver owners/innkeepers
Gainesville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Cedar Key is very laid back, NOT commercial or "5-star" by any means. It's more "mom n pop" style places that we happen to like. So knowing this do not expect "fancy", this is island old school, blast from the past that is hard to find. This Inn was very clean, super accomodating (100% pet friendly) and economical. The gulf is almost at the doorstep and bikes / kayaks / grill for your use. Very cool and great for couples. Wendy was awesome and we showed up quite early (9am.. oops) to check in.. no problem. Excellent for our needs and places like this are getting rarer to find. We'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Just ask, they'll help you. The front rooms facing the gulf are nice but the cottages are more s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FarawayInn, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Your review was so awesome. It explained what Cedar Key and Faraway Inn are all about, a mom and pop community, a throw back blast from the past kind of place where simplicity and nature rule. So glad you had a good time. Wendy is wonderful and we are pleased to hear how accommodating she was. We try hard to provide our wonderful guests with anything they may require. Just ask and if we have it we will be glad to lend it to you or tell you where you may get it. Our guests are our everything and help support local families and our local volunteer work. Wishing you and yours a Happy, Healthy, Safe and Prosperous New Year! We look forward to your return visit.
Doreen & Oliver Bauer owners/innkeepers
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Faraway Inn was a lovely, quaint place with quite the whimsical style! I loved how unique and personable it was. Wendy was extremely friendly (despite losing her days off as another employee quit without advance notice!) and laidback in dealing with arrival and payment. I arrived after hours, but a note was on the door with instructions and the room open and ready. I absolutely loved my room and loved that a full kitchen was part of it. As I was there in the off season, the room was $90 a night, and the fourth night was free! I felt like it was definitely reasonable, particularly with the addition of the kitchen. And, the inclusion of free bikes and kayaks/canoes! What really sold me on this lodging was the use of free bikes and kayaks/canoes! I used a bike everyday, and would have used the kayaks had I not been busy all day for business.

The lights of the decorations remaining on all night did make the room a bit bright for my tastes (I like very dark rooms when I sleep), but the bed was comfortable and place quiet, so I still slept very well.

The Inn is located right on the water (only a small street separates the inn grounds from the water's edge) with lovely porch swings for watching the sun go down. I saw a glorious sunset!

Cedar Key has some of the most amazing food I've had in a small town. I was thoroughly impressed with every meal, and I can be a picky eater!

I plan to return with my husband for a vacation, and will definitely stay at Faraway Inn!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FarawayInn, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
We are so pleased that you had a good time. Apologies for not having met you in person but we know Wendy took good care of you. Thank you for your comment regarding the holiday lighting. We will set the timers to go off at 10pm instead of staying on all night. Unless guests tell us these things we do not always realize it. Thank you for your helpful feedback. We look forward to meeting you when you return.
Happy, Safe, Healthy, Peaceful, Holiday Wishes
Doreen & Oliver owners/innkeepers
Donalsonvile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is, without a doubt, THE best vacation spot on earth for my husband, our little yorkie, and me! The owners and staff are the best and make you feel like family! Afternoons on the covered patio, enjoying a cocktail with other guests, is just fabulous as you watch the sunset over the bay. The entire community is delighful and slow paced, just perfect for getting away from it all. The Faraway Inn is old Florida at it's best. The cottages are wonderfully decorated and emmaculately clean. Our favorite evening was spent grilling steaks on the back patio and visiting with Oliver. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Cottage #4 faces the side street rather than the bay and we loved it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
FarawayInn, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We are so pleased you had a relaxing and enjoyable time. It is your hard earned money and we want to be sure that you enjoy your time at Faraway Inn. We look forward to having you visit again next year with your sweet pup. We love when travelers bring their best friends with them. Wishing you happy healthy peaceful and safe holidays!
Doreen and Oliver
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our couple of days here...we'd booked for one night and liked it so much that we decided to stay for another and just enjoy the atmosphere. Borrowed a couple of bikes to ride around town--Cedar Key is kind of quiet the week after New Year's, but we liked it that way. If we had more time we would have borrowed a kayak and paddled out to the old cemetery. Maybe next time. Enjoyed sitting out in the courtyard and chatting with the motel cat. The owners and staff are so nice--as huge fans of shelter cats and trap-neuter-spay programs, we went over to visit their cat sanctuary and meet their dogs. Our cats prefer not to travel, so we leave them at home with a cat sitter, but it was the pet-friendliness of this place that really appealed to me first. And people who like cats are good people in my book. :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
FarawyInnCedarKey, Manager at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
It was great having you and we are so pleased that you enjoyed Cedar Key and your stay at Faraway Inn. Turtle, our office kitty you chatted with says meow. We love when our guests bring their pets especially since we are such a pet friendly community. We do not see as many travelers with cats but when we do it's great. Those of you traveling with kitty cats we can privide you with large crates, litter scoop poop bags for daily disposal, whatever you need for your pet just ask and we probably can provide it. We can not wait until your next visit. Peace Love Happiness and Health in the New Year!

Been to Faraway Inn? Share your experiences!