“Better late than never...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Low-Key Hideaway

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Low-Key Hideaway
12050 State Road 24, Cedar Key, FL 32625   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Cedar Key
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan
“Better late than never...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just file this one under the 'better late than never' category. (Beware: this will be long!)

We'd read about Cedar Key in 2011, and decided it was just the nomadic secret place for us to check out. Then we read about the Low-Key Hideaway, a small, pet-friendly motel run by former nomads and former Michiganders. Right up our alley!

However, by the time we looked into making reservations at the last minute in early 2012, they were booked for the several week time-frame we were to be in the area. So, we found a quaint place to rent for three days, figuring if we didn't like Cedar Key, three nights would be plenty.

Well, three days wasn't nearly enough for us, but now we needed to find someplace to stay for a longer period. We happened to be driving by the Low-Key Hideaway, and saw the Vacancy sign out, so we stopped to ask. Sure enough, Amber told us that they had one night available, so we booked it.

We thoroughly loved our evening in the most comfortable, clean rooms, and our little cocker girl loved it, too. We enjoyed the serenity, and of course, the sunset from the Tiki Bar.

After getting our car loaded up the next morning, ready to head for a new adventure somewhere, as yet unknown, Amber told us that our room had just opened up for two more nights, and asked if we would be interested in staying on. Well, naturally, we were thrilled, and agreed to unpack and stay for two more nights. SCORE!

Once again, after more time at the Low-Key, the Tiki Bar with Pat and Cindy, and falling deeper in love with Cedar Key, it was time to pack up the car, buckle our pup into the back seat, and head on down the road.

Just as we were about to settle into the car after saying our goodbyes, Cindy came out and said that Room 5 had just opened up for three nights, and would we be interested in staying, once she cleaned the room, so we could move two doors down. At this point, we began looking for cameras, certain that we were being filmed for a 'You're on Candid Camera' type of moment, waiting for us to unload our car yet again.

Suffice to say, our time at the Low-Key Hideaway, with a great yard for us and our pup, enjoying the birding, the warmth and constant smiles from Cindy, Pat, and Amber, the Tiki Bar and its sunsets...what more could anyone ask?

We now consider Cedar Key a home-away-from-home, going from our first visit of nearly two weeks, to a couple of months last year, to a full winter coming up this year. Though we can't stay at the Low-Key for such an extended stay, we will still enjoy the fun and sunsets of the Tiki Bar with Pat, Jay, and Cindy, and the many new, nomadic friends we've made in the past two years, including Little and Luca.

Keep up the great work guys! We know how hard you work in a place we call 'paradise', and you get to call 'home'.

Room Tip: Note: We really stayed in February 2012, but our options don't go back that far. :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was our second trip to Cedar Key. After reading Trip Advisor reviews for Low Key Hideaway, we decided to give it a try. We did not have reservations and Cindy, the owner, offered to clean a room for us. Cindy and Pat are the couple who own and operate LKH. They are both living their dream instead of just talking their dream. Their combined efforts have created a clean, funky, artsy and totally fun place to stay.

It's a renovated '50's motel, so guests should not expect the fine tuning of a corporate hotel. We had room 5 which has a little wait for the hot water. The bed was firm and comfy. The room was very clean and met my picky expectations. It has everything that one needs for a stay.

One of the best amenities of the LKH is the Tiki bar with owner Pat as bartender. It attracts lots of interesting people as well as the guests. Pat keeps the bar stocked with quality alcohol and I even discovered an amazing Nicaraguan rum.

Thanks to both Cindy and Pat for a great stay at Cedar Key.

Room Tip: Room 5 is closest to the bar. All rooms are good choices.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice, the first time the hotel was at full capacity and our stay was amazing. The rooms are clean, comfortable and best place to catch the sunset, which was the reason we picked this hotel. I've stayed in many places in Cedar Key, but I was impressed with this place up until my last trip. They had placed a sign in the bathroom that stated it could take up to 5 minutes to get hot water, we tried running the water up to 20 minutes and even switch hanle position in case the hot and cold were mixed up and we tried both shower and sink, NEVER did we get hot water. This makes for a very uncomfortable stay since it was very hot that day. But here's the kicker, I did inform the front desk, we left at 8:05 so I left a note along with a voice mail, they did call me back and all they said was we tried the hot water and it worked. I was raised in Cedsr Key, I'm not here to rip off anyone but on the other hand I spend lots of money when we travel and have o ly complained about one other place down by Tampa, that Hotel gave me a free night to make up for the mistake they made. I wasn't expecting a free night but maybe something to makeup for the no hot water and to act like I wasn't being honest well that was it for me. I fell strongly that they had turn the hot water onto a timer and with me and my son being the I ky guest they simply forgot to turn it back on, wich I could have overlooked but with the response I will
not return, honesty is very big in
my book! One more thing, if you ate do big in conserving water why would you want each guest to have to run the water for 4 mins or in my case over 20 to get hot water?

• Stayed September 2013
lowkeyhideaway, Owner at Low-Key Hideaway, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
I must say that in the almost 4 years that we have been here at the Low Key, this is the most interesting review that we have gotten. I would first like to say that both Pat and I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent with your Son at the Tiki Bar, what a gem he is. I also enjoyed the conversations you and I had on the back deck.

I am truly speechless in response to your situation for my recollection is a bit different.

God Bless you both and we wish you both better luck on your next vacation.
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This Inn is fabulous! The owners and staff are so wonderful and down to earth. They will go out of their way to make you feel at home. Our room was super clean and well decorated. Very comfortable bed. The view out the back door of each room is beautiful-right on the water for sunset views. The best part is the on site tiki bar. They make a GREAT margarita with their own fresh juice mix. If you are looking to relax - this is the place to stay. We will be back!

Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We checked in on a Friday and out on Sunday. It was our anniversary. The room and grounds are quaint and a lot of attention was paid to detail. The bedroom was huge, with a comfortable king size bed. There was a small kitchenette and a very small bathroom. We received one bath towel each for a 2 night, 3 day visit...which surprised us. The Tiki Hut was darling! Everything about the place invites interaction. There really isn't too much to see in Cedar Key, so 2 nights was plenty. We weren't sure if we were supposed to wash our dishes (no dishwasher). The internet and tv worked sporadically.

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms, so you can't go too far wrong.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
lowkeyhideaway, Owner at Low-Key Hideaway, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Happy Anniversary! I thank you for your review and I would like to address some points that you made about your room. In my mind I wonder how in the world is there a 20X20 bedroom and a bathroom that is so small? After some research and actually visiting with the Granddaughter of the man that built this place she filled us in on some things.

The Low Key was built in the early 60's as a fishing camp, the area that was your living room/kitchen was all that there was to the entire room. There were two twin beds in there, the kitchen sink and the bathroom, that's it! In the late 80s the second owner added the bedroom area to the back but they could not make the bathrooms bigger because the wall in between is a solid cinderblock weight bearing wall. Now it makes sense however it still leaves us with no way to make the bathrooms bigger although I wish we could.

Next, our biggest thorn in our side, the internet. We have spent over 5 thousand dollars on interior antennas, exterior antennas, updated modems, as well as internet experts. All of which say that our provider, AT&T is responsible for the lack of service. After many hours of phone calls and many attempts to provide internet service to us we were told by AT&T that we are on an island and they have given us the best service they can. We were told we can stop paying for the service and have no internet at all (they are the only provider available to us) or we can take what we get and continue to pay the full amount of our bill.

At that point we actually took the "Free WIFI" off of our website. When people call and ask if we have wifi we do explain that it is hit or miss although there are hot spots on the property. This is something that I am extremely frustrated with and wish that I could find some other option for our guests.

The last thing that I hated reading about your review is the towel situation. We have two notices in your room which asks that if you want to trade out your towels to please leave them in the shower, I will make sure that I place those notices in a more visible area or maybe we have misplaced the notices in that room. I do sincerely apologize for that which is something that I do have control of and we really want your stay to be the best that we can possibly make it.

I am very thankful that you chose to spend your anniversary with us and again I appreciate your review, guest responses are the only way we know where to step it up and improve our performance.
Callahan, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Behind the motel is the Tiki Bar. Put together with glass bottles is a must see. The owners Pat and Cindy are friendly and make the place like home. They only have five rooms that stay full most of the time so if you can get a reservation you are lucky because they have a view of the best sunset around. They also have spaces for RVs., so go to Cedar Key and find a relaxing and slow paced lifestyle. I enjoyed laying in their hammock and rocking with the breeze. Did not want to go home.

Room Tip: Any room would be great
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Spur of the moment decision to visit a Florida spot we'd never seen and read good things about the Low Key. All I can say is this is your place if you like funky, fun, laid back, and different. This is a throw back little motel that's been refreshed with the funk dialed up in the best way. A little bit folk art (glass bottle walls, lost flip flop dock decor, bikes as trellises, etc.) and a whole lot of friendly. The tiki bar in the back yard has the best vibe and makes a mean margarita with some decent beer selections. They do hand-make their margarita mix with fresh citrus. Take your glass out to the dock, sit on the swings and watch a sunset. Float back to your little bungalow with its nice fridge and galley kitchen. Sleep on your memory foam mattress, watch your flatscreen and be happy you are one of the few who know about little Cedar Key and the Institute of Low Key Living. No pool. No food, but a grill that you can use. Throw a line off the dock. Chill. We'll return.

Room Tip: room 3 is right in the middle of the row.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Low-Key Hideaway? Share your experiences!