“Excellent Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Island Hotel & Restaurant
You added Island Hotel & Restaurant to your Saves list
373 2nd Street, P.O. Box 460, Cedar Key, FL 32625   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Cedar Key B&B and Inns
Florida
“Excellent Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

We spent a fabulous three day weekend at the Island Hotel. We stepped in the door and were greeted by the friendly staff. We had booked at the last minute but were given a room upgrade when we checked in. It took a minute because they do things the old fashioned way... with a register, pen and white-out. Andy showed us to our room, pointing out aspects of the hotel along the way. The room was cool, clean, quaint and comfortable. This is an historic building and we loved the character. Both the upstairs and downstairs lobbys invite you to sit a spell. We also spent some quality time in the swing seat on the balcolny. Neptune's Bar was cozy but has great atmosphere. Full bar and good service. The restaurant was excellent! Both the food and service being superb. We had also brought our boat. Andy directed us to park in the back yard at no cost.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

This hotel is very old, and we were aware of that when we made reservations.
However, the hotel is very OVERATED, AND VERY EXPENSIVE.
The food in the dining area was wonderful!!! BUT........very EXPENSIVE for what you recieved, and left still hungry. We are not overeaters.
The rooms were clean, but the floors were very worn.
The veranda on the front upstairs, is very unstable, and we were afraid to sit on it.
Yes, this is a very old hotel, so you should expect old, but it is tooo overated and expensive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

We were sitting outside, having dinner when a lady who was bringing out setups for other tables said over her shoulder "we're having a birthday party and there will be lots of people coming". She didn't introduce herself and the intent of her message to us was "hurry up and eat so we can have your table". We told her that a man inside who identified himself as the owner told us we could eat out here and even stay for the party if we'd like to. She snapped back with "I AM THE OWNER, I hired the guy inside and I got him cheap- he's my husband". She continued to get ruder and ruder in her comments and in no way handled herself in a professional manner. My Dad went to pay and demanded an apology at which time she put her face inches from his and sarcastically said: "I'm SORRY!!!) We'll never go back as long as she's the owner. She completely ruined our meal and what started off as a pleasant evening ended in a disgusting show of unprofessionalism from an obviously occupationally misplaced, miserable owner..
Do not patronize this place!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
winter park, fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We came to Cedar Key with a group of 55 friends for a three day stay. We always get our friends NOT to go to the same restaurant at the same time...so as not to overwhelm them. We went to the Island Hotel the first night with 8 persons. We had called Wednesday before we got there on Thursday to make reservations. They said they appreciated the call and would have extra staff on hand. We asked if Molly Brown could tell our group about the ghost in the hotel while we had dinner and each following evening as our other guest made reservations. They said they would be glad to do that. So when we got there on Thursday and again called to confirm our reservations at 5:30PM they said they were NOT ready for us could we come later? They said 7:30PM would be better, we told them we had already called and made the reservations and were just confirming them. When we got there at 6PM they acted like they had never heard of us, we got no ghost stories and were served after everyone that had a 4 top had been served, finished and left. SO WITH THAT KNOWLEDGE... we suggested to the other 47 guests of our group that they NOT EAT THERE. We voted with the rest of the pocketbooks!

• Stayed April 2009
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

A disaster-worst hotel of the decade-Our room had threadbare linens with a torn and worn bed skirt. hanging down The bath had a child's size toilet jammed against the wall and the sink was dripping into a hole in the floor. Because they have a 24 hour cancellation policy, they charged us for the room even though we left without spending the night. Avoid this dump...there are better places in the area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sarasota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Tried this place 5 years ago and swore I'd never go back. When I couldn't get a room at our favorite hotel (Park Place) where we stay 1 or 2 times a year, decided to try this dump again. Big mistake. Expensive, rude, lousy food. I'll drive back to Gainesville before I stay there again if I can't get a room ANYWHERE else. Maybe I'll try it again in 10 years, but I doubt it.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
north carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

I entered the hotel with a guide dog in training, was greeted by a guest who thanked me for what I do, as her visually impaired husband was beginning training with a guide in about a month.

As we walked to the desk to inquire about a room, we were told, in a very nasty way, that pets were not allowed at the hotel. I explained that he was not a pet and that under Florida law service dogs in training were covered and allowed the same rights as a working service dog. I was told to go to the "pet friendly"hotel. I explained that we were interested in staying at the hotel and offered to show her a copy of Florida law, which she refused.

We left the hotel because I was not willing to push the issue. As I left I told her she was in violation of a Florida law the the Americans with Disabilities act. Her response was, "So, cite, me."

I would not suggest staying here if you are disabled and require a service animal because you will more than likely be refused lodging.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Island Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!