“Disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
florida
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This restaurant is in the same building as Jimbos was but has been revamped with a Mexican flair.
Parking is always a problem and will always will be.
The interior is cheery and has some amazing woodwork with booths and table having pictures carved in to the wood.
We were seated quickly and from there it went downhill.
I always go by the rule if no one stops to get our drink order in 5 minutes we leave. We were getting ready to go when our waitress showed up with chips and salsa and took our drink order.We just ordered water and a draft beer but it still took over 5 minutes to get our drinks.We saw our waitress tell another waitress our drink order but nothing happened. Finally a different waitress came by with our drinks,wandered around and finally gave us our drinks.
My wife is vegetarian and ordered taco salad with no meat. Her salad had two tomato pieces,a bunch of arugula and radicchio and nothing else.No dressing,no beans,no sour cream just lettuce. The taco salad was twelve dollars I think. I had carne asada and the steak was good but the rest had few spices that I could taste.
There were plenty of wait staff but it seemed disorganized. Waiter and waitresses standing around not knowing what to do or where to go.
I realize they haven't been open long but if things don't improve they wont be around for long.
It appears that Monarca's is run by Hispanics so was hoping things would have some spice in them and thats just not the case.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cape Coral, Florida
“Extremely disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I rarely write a negative review, there are enough people who do that, but this place was terrible. I guess our first clue should have been the Italian music playing at the Mexican restaurant. My husband and I travel the entire country for work and have been to dozens of Mexican restaurants in border towns, we are very familiar with what authentic Mexican food is. There was nothing authentic about this restaurant whatsoever.

The hostess was friendly and smiled and laughed and joked with us. We were seated immediately at an outdoor table, right next to the door so we constantly had to lean forward to avoid the people in and out of the door.
Our server was friendly, but did not know anything about the menu (the place had only been open for only a couple of weeks, so that's understandable). Service was slow and refills and extra salsa were overlooked. Again, forgivable, since the place was packed.

Our family likes spicy food, so we asked for a spicier salsa than their standard salsa. They charged for it (we do this at every Mexican restaurant and have never been charged) and it was not even the slightest bit spicy, even to the member of our family that doesn't like spicy food. We also ordered the Queso. It came out in a very small dish and cost $5.99. When it arrived to our table, it already had a film acrossed the top of it. It was the consensus of our group that it was nothing more than the Mexican style Velveeta. We ordered a picture of margarita to share. When it came out, most of the ice had already melted and it was watered down and tasted like straight sour mix.

Three of us ordered the Camerones ala Diabla. This is my very favorite Mexican dish and I have had it dozens of times made from scratch. It is a dish served in a very spicy red sauce usually with a side of beans and rice. What we were served was more of an Alfredo type white sauce with absolutely no spice at all, no beans, a very dry rice (not sure what style, but most definitely not Mexican) and grilled veggies, squash and broccoli. Again, not a Mexican dish. (I honestly believe that someone in the kitchen got our order wrong and made the incorrect dish and our server didn't know any better). The flour tortillas were NOT made from scratch and were very dry and had a terrible flavor, they charged $2.00/3.

Another member of our group ordered the Carne Asada fajitas. The meat was very small and full of gristle and came with the same rice and beans as the other meals. There was not any of the typical garnishment that would come with fajitas (Pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole, etc.).

The last member of our group order the Burrito Panzon. It was HUGE! He took one bite and asked me to also take a bite. It tasted like vomit. I am not exaggerating. It almost made me instantly ill.

In summary, while the staff was friendly and accommodating, there was nothing authentic about this restaurant. I really hope they take constructive criticism well and make some changes.

“Hopefully just growing pains”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Four of us in for supper. Service and drinks at the bar were prompt and correct. Could not transfer our bar tab to the table. Fajitas with chicken were very plain, tortilla were dry and could not roll. Beef and pork dishes were very poor cuts of meat. All of our beans were tasteless. Waitress and staff really need more training.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort Myers, Florida
“WENT FOR COCKTAIL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

no room at the bar so we were seated at table and we said we just wanted a drink they said OK we
had a margarita and it was very good .............chips and salsa were also very good will go back and try dinner the overall look great tables and chairs and booths looked expensive wood carvings very nicely decorated. Way too much staff but I am sure that will change. Everybody was trying to please customers hopefully it will stay and get better. What a gorgeous sign on the front it should have been on the roof and lite up so all could see don't know if that was a owners choice or just the city again with their stupid way of doing things

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape Coral, Florida
“5 days after opening.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

First, this is day 5 since they opened and with only a limited menu. The potential is certainly there if the owners/managers/staff will make improvements.

The décor and atmosphere is good. However signage needs some serious lighting at night.

Our Meal experience. We had reservations and were promptly seated, however the hostess needs more training in greeting customers with a smile. A party at a table across from us, walk-ins, who arrived after us were served before us. Not only served before us, but had food delivered before our order was even taken. They had paid their bill and were gone before our food was delivered. Waitress or hostess needs training to make certain customers seated first get greeted first.

Our drinks were delayed as "someone took your drinks from the bar" (two specialty Margaritas, each with different tequilas). I saw no indication of any system to control to insure that we got what was ordered. They did taste differently so at least I knew that the recipe was different.

Once the food finally got to our table, only half of the order arrived. The other half was completely wrong. Once it arrived, it was missing two key items that I had to request, Tortillas and the Salsa Rojo.

Food:
Carnitas Urapon style were OK, a bit dry, but flavorful. The frijoles were so thin they were like a puree, but not a thick puree, but again, flavorful. The salsa rojo (red sauce) was flavorful and of a nice consistency.

Camarones Al Majo de Ajo were over cooked, but again, good flavors.

The Guacamole salad was fresh and flavorful

Prices, Considering 2 late drinks, two entrees, one overcooked one dry and delivered 8 minutes after the first, the value is not evident. Total with tax was $59.35 plus a 16% tip (it would've been 20% if the waitress had served us in proper rotation and time, had not mucked up the drinks order and had not mucked up one entrée order) $70.00 spent for two people

I will revisit them after the "fully open", which is scheduled to be 26 December 2013.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere