“Don't even think about eating the food!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 359 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A few lines to introduce myself. My name is Al Whelan, I am from Boston and worked at a famous "waterfront dive" known as Kelly's Landing. A seafood business in a Catholic community with lines down the street, literally. I worked there for five summers and enjoyed every minute of it. My first date with the counter girl (she couldn't resist a man in a paper hat), my first kiss, etc. One rule was demanded, cooking with clean oil! In those days it was lard! Today we use canola oil both on the grill side and on the fry side... Most of our dinners are on the grill side. Fish shrimp, scallops, steaks, ribs, chicken and pork round off our menu. Our Irish Connoli is like a little piece of heaven and our homemade bread pudding is to die for. Both topped off with sweet whipped cream. We've added a 6000 square foot patio surrounded by trees. A truly private and romantic spot. Also some added features such as, a basketball cage, beer pong table and corn hole court.
Milton, DE
“Don't even think about eating the food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A half-priced Groupon coupon got us through the doors of this abandoned looking restaurant. The Groupon reviews were mostly very good and that is why we purchased the coupon.
The outside appearance with the abandon truck and indistinguishable entrance gave us a clue as to what to expect inside. We arrived at 4:30, they opened at 4:00, and no customers were in the restaurant. The inside of Moorings was so dark that I asked if they were open. The nice waitress behind the bar told us to sit anywhere so we opted to sit outside. It was decked out with Christmas decorations that had to have been up for at least two years. Tables and chairs were haphazardly arranged and there were still several dog water dishes on the ground from the night before. Clearly, the owner and manager take no pride in the appearance or cleanliness of Moorings that was even more evident when I visit the filthy restroom.
Our friendly waitress set us up with drinks and told us to help ourselves to the small limited salad bar. We weren’t expecting that so we were pleased until we saw what was offered. The fresh green salad looked okay but prepackaged. The applesauce was pink, we later found out it was from the red-hot candy added to it. Probably the best item in the salad bar was the pasta salad. The waitress brought us complimentary sample of three of their appetizers. That would have been a good idea to get clients to order them from the menu; unfortunately, the appetizers were cold and greasy. Since the fried appetizers were cold, soggy and tasted like they were cooked in old grease I decided to go with the Key West Chowder and an order of mussels with marinara sauce. We were told the Key West Chowder was in a tomato base. I was taken back when the thick and chunky chowder arrived, it looked like someone just opened a jar of tomato puree, threw in some seafood and that was it, certainly not a tomato soup base. One bite into the chowder with a mussel had me spitting out the fowl tasting concoction. The mussels arrived open faced in one of their shells with the same tomato puree marinara sauce on the side. I would have to guess the mussels were frozen, not fresh by their appearance and chewy texture. Under the mussels laid a bed of spaghetti swimming in garlic and butter. Normally I would love garlic and butter on pasta but this was just too much and too oily. The waitress asked us how we were enjoying our meal and I have never told a waitress that it was bad until now. She did credit the chowder on our bill. The best thing I can say about Moorings is the waitress was friendly and provided prompt service. We would never go to this restaurant again, the food was terrible, and the appearance was dirty. Makes me wonder how nasty the kitchen must be if what we can see in the public area is so bad.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Moored and Here to Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Typical old-style Florida atmosphere and food. The salad bar is not the best but the entrees and appetizers are very good. Service was good and the staff very friendly. We will be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“I HAD A NICE PLATE OF SHRIMP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Based upon the previous reviews I was apprehensive. The staff was excellent. The salad bar was small but fresh. Food was fresh and good. The place was not upscale and was on a side road behind Anthony's. I also used a Goupon coupon. I would describe it as OLD Florida and NOT New England! Expect Jimmy Buffet to be playing. I intend to go back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral, Florida
“A Great Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Moorings is a small, family owned restaurant tucked away on a side street in Cape Coral. If you don't know about it, it would be easy to miss. This is a small, family owned restaurant with a unique variety of offerings. The owner likes to come and meet all the guests and he loves to talk to everyone. I liked that they brought around samples of their different menu items so you could try them. We tried the alligator and ended up ordering it for dinner. This is not a fancy place but has a warm atmosphere and good food. Service was good and everyone was friendly.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Florida
“Food needs major overhaul!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The owner introduces himself, loves to chat, and is very friendly. Lots of regulars are here, especially gathered around the bar, and I think that might be a big part of the appeal here. It's been here for several years.
The servers wander around, bringing food samples from the kitchen for you to try in case you have never had something, and to encourage you to try something like an appetizer. One thing on the menu that I had never had before was fried cauliflower, "blumenkohl," and that was one of the items that the servers had brought around. Different, but not bad.
The food itself needs improvement. The tilapia looked gray, and tilapia should never look gray when it's cooked. EVER. Sent it back, and the owner came over to apologize about the cut (it wasn't the cut, though, it was the fact it was gray), and offered a free replacement of an entree. Got a baked shrimp crunch thing. It was okay. Nothing great. Also had a shrimp scampi, but the seasoning tasted like it came straight out of a shaker you could buy from the store; you expect a little better than something you make at home. I can make a better one at home. Did not care for the veggies. Tasted freezer burnt.
I'm not from New England, and they say this is authentic New England seafood. There is a place in Naples that is real New England seafood; this restaurant could learn from those guys.
But friendly server, and immediate resolution to gray fish *gag*.

• Visited November 2012