“Terrible Food and Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 340 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Fast Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Terrible Food and Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had an awful experience dining at this restaurant. I first went on Wednesday night out of my way to get fish and chips. I arrived at 7:45 pm presuming that they would be open but found that they had already closed at 7:30 pm. I had presumed that they would be open to at least 8:00 or 9:00 at night and 7:30 seems very early to shut.

I then ventured back again the next night due to all the great reviews that I had seen on trip advisor for this restaurant. The first thing that I noticed was the British food that they were selling on the shelves (potato chips, tea, jam/marmalade, etc.); however, when I looked at it, I found that the potato chips were a few months past their sell-by date. This was disappointing, and I didn't end up buying any of those items that they were selling. However, one of the things that was most shocking was the appalling service that I received. I wanted to order the family bucket but substitute the chicken for additional fish as we'd already eaten chicken for lunch. At first, the owner, Pete, was helpful and suggested that we get two of the #1 plates which would mean getting fish with no chicken; however, we figured that for $1.95 extra, we'd just get the family plate. While waiting, I overheard the owner murmuring about the chicken with another employee and glancing over at us. This was very rude as we were still in the restaurant and overheard what he was saying. If I had not already paid, I'd have walked out at that point.

We then got the food and went to the car where we checked our meal. Part of what we ordered was a kid's fish fingers and chips. On the menu, it CLEARLY said fish fingers, so needless to say, I was surprised when I found a piece of fish with chips. I went back in to talk with the owner about it only to be told very rudely that they did not serve fish fingers. On the way out, I heard him saying "I told you so" to his fellow employee who he was talking to about us earlier. He was not at all apologetic about the fish fingers and was very rude as a whole. At this point, having not even tried the food, I was very disappointed, and the service made me not want to return even at that point.

Then, I tried the fish and chips itself which has to have been some of the worst fish and chips that I'd ever had. Starting with the fish, it was covered in extremely greasy batter. Without the batter, the actual fish was absolutely flavorless. I don't know if the fish was frozen, but regardless, it tasted terrible.They also provided tartar sauce and cocktail sauce in little pots, both of which tasted strange and nothing like they were supposed to. The shrimp was also battered and tasted bad. The chips were in my opinion underdone and overly salty. They were mushy and had no crispy outside whatsoever. The coleslaw had very little taste, and the chicken was also covered in the greasy batter and tasted odd (it was pretty indistinguishable from the fish). On top of the awful quality of every single item that we had, the portions were very small, and we paid $28 for what seemed like a tiny amount compared to fish and chips that I've had in England.

Overall, I cannot fathom how this restaurant obtained excellent reviews as everything from the service to the food was absolutely terrible. This as a whole experience was one of the worst that I've had. If you are looking for a good fish and chips, I'd strongly recommend going elsewhere.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Cape Coral
“A Bit of England In the Cape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Having lived in England we know their culinary reputation isn't always the greatest but we often yearn for their flavorful crispy, fresh fish & chips, pasties, meat pies, ale & the like. We finally tried Pete's in Cape Coral and were very satisfied. The fish was cod with a crispy crust, freshly fried to order, along with handcut chips (fries) and a savory, crunchy slaw. This is a casual place - order at the counter, grab a can of British ale & wait til your name is called. We also tried the shrimp and found it to feature very large, moist shrimp in a beer batter. Yum! Unfortunately, the meat pie & pasty were sold out, but call ahead we're told & they will save some for you! A nice find in a storefront on Del Prado just south of Hancock.

Cape Coral, Florida
“Better than England's Harry Ramsden Fish n Chips!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is no "pre-fab", Long John Silvers, over fried, chemically altered food. This is the real thing! Up to now the only original British fare I have had has been from Harry Ramsden's at Epcot in Orlando and at the British Pub in Naples. Both places served excellent fish and chips, but I gotta tell you, Pete's fish and chips are a real treat!. The British Pub in Naples does have the atmosphere, but most the time it is way too crowded, the wait is long to get in and of course they are a long drive to Naples. You have to buy an expensive ticket to Epcot to visit Harry's in "England". But how often can one go to a theme park to eat the food they love? Cape Coral is so very fortunate to have Pete's right here in town and it is SOOOOO much better than the Long Johns fast food stuffs! Pete does it right. Perhaps it is because he is an authentic Brit restraunteer who knows how to do it right. The staff is friendly and the food is amazing. We usually get take out because we can not ever get a seat in his busy place, You want great authentic British food? Go to Pete's. You will NOT be disappointed! WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
edinburgh
“nice fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

visited recently while on holiday.good fish and chips and nice owner.i did enjoy the food but as I live in the UK I don't normally go for home food so I probably wouldn't go back

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Crystal Lake, IL
“Hello London!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

As good or better than my England pub experiences - food wise. The atmosphere is more US, but that is where we live. It's always fish and chips for us.

• Visited June 2013