“A Really Cool Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sun and the Moon Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Coral
The Sun and the Moon Inn
3962 NW Pine Island Road, Cape Coral, FL 33993   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Cape Coral B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Really Cool Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed at the Sun and Moon during January of 2012, and I brought my touring kayak and my fishing kayak to explore the area. The location turned out to be close to everything, and the accommodations were really nice. In order to fish or explore, I had only to walk my boats to the water and put them in the water at the Inn's kayak launch dock. From the Inn, the Great Calusa Blueway stretches for miles to the north, and I spent days just paddling about and enjoying the great weather. I managed to find my way several miles up the Blueway without getting lost, and the silence alone is worth the trip. The wildlife is abundant in this area, and the manatees swam back and forth in front of the Inn every morning and evening. Without really trying hard, I caught two nice snook right in front of the inn on an artificial shrimp bait. The setting was relaxing, and was perfect for an explorer like myself, who is not afraid to travel to new places.

Curt was very kind and did everything he could to make my stay enjoyable. He even helped me load my kayaks back onto my truck as I was leaving. The rooms here vary. Some are really nice and perfect for couples. Others are a bit more rustic. However, all of the rooms are better than your average hotel, and they have that wonderful individual feel that you only find at B & B's. I doubt that any of the rooms have a view that is less than excellent. Plus, there is always food available in the breakfast area. I did not use the pool or hot tub because it was January, but I would have spent a lot of time in both if the weather had been a bit warmer. The pool area has the same great view.

The Matlacha area is interesting. There are a number of good seafood restaurants nearby. The Great Calusa Blueway alone is enough reason for me to visit this area, but there are quite a few other interesting sites nearby. Visit Cayo Costa if you have the time. It has miles of unoccupied beaches to explore. Also, Sanibel and Captiva are a short drive away. Check out the incredible display of stars at night!

Overall, this was an excellent vacation spot, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys kayaking, boating, fishing, kayak fishing, birding, sunning, exploring, photography, shelling, or just plain old relaxing.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor of the two buildings are really nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011 via mobile

This place was so different. Feel in love with it. Fishing was out of this world you didn't know what you were going to catch. I have never relaxed so much on a holiday as this. Can't wait to go back very soon................ curt was ace jackie ( Angus) England

• Stayed May 2011
Boone, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

The Sun and Moon Inn is a charming Bed and Breakfast in a small Old Florida style fishing village (this means non-commercial and not crowded). If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway right on the waterway where you can experience phenomenal fishing, this is the place for you. We saw Jacks, Mullets, Snooks regularly. An osprey was a constant companion in the palm tree over the pool and the dolphins paraded before sunset each night right in front of the dock, only steps from our room. Curt was welcoming, accommodating, and extremely knowledgeable about fishing. One night, my husband was wrestling with reeling in a Jack fish and needed some quick advice on how to reel it in. Curt was delighted to help us and offered expert advice in landing this powerful fish. When we reeled it in, Curt was as delighted as if he had caught it himself - his love of nature, fishing, and sharing his passion for the area he grew up in is so refreshing. Each night, we cooked by the water with the grill he provided for guests. Each day, we met new guests; Curt was so welcoming that we mingled with others and shared fishing stories of the day. Coffee, real cream, fruit, and other snacks were available at any time. If you are looking for fancy rooms, taxis, noise, spas, or commercialism, this is not the town for you. If you are looking for great fishing, kayaking, sunsets, a comfortable room with very clean accommodations where you can relax with a special someone or friends, this is a treasure of a place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Pinecrest, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

My husband and I followed the advise of fellow Tripadvisor contributors and stayed for 2 nights at the Sun and Moon Inn in Matlacha. This "Keys" type B & B was a perfect launching point for our day trips to Sanibel/Captiva and Pine Island since we didn't want to stay in a commercial/built up environment. Curt (the owner) did everything he could to make us feel welcome, including taking us on an unforgettable night kayaking trip. The bed in the Moon Glow room was more comfortable than our bed at home and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. We are looking forward to returning to this special place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Longboat Key, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I've been staying at the Sun and Moon for over five years. This is a unique destination that has everything I need as a traveling photojournalist. Spectacular views, comfortable beds, and quick access to one of Florida's most pristine habitats. It's Old Florida with all the comforts of modern age!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
lakeland, florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

First stay with Curt and Sun and Moon Inn and it won't be our last.

Pros: Rooms are exactly like pictured. Very clean and accomodating. The views off the seawall were awesome. Manatees pass just 50 feet away almost hourly it seemed. The dolphin must have known we were there and came to show off with evening spectacular water shows. You wouldn't get this kind of entertainment as frequently on the ocean front or even waterfront, only on the pass. With only a few rooms, you don't have to worry about many guests taking over the pools and kayaks. The other guests were very nice and as pleased as we were. Towels smelled wonderful! Pristine white! This is a great place to compromise when "he" wants to fish and "she" just wants some R&R by the pool! Wonderful restaurants nearby, highly recommend Berts in Matlacha. We ate outside as too noisy inside (band night on a weekend). Food is good. Cultural event you can at least say you experienced if you came to Matlacha. For upscale AWESOME food, go to Reds on Pine Island. The food was delicious, staff and service of a 5 star restaurant, and we've eaten in our share of nice restaurants. This ranks up with the top 10 no doubt. If you want to fish call Captain Kirk [---]. We called last minute and he came out on a holiday weekend (Easter) to accomodate us even tho he had planned to be off. We had a family of five who rarely fish and he and his son Randy were very patient with us. Catch included plenty of mackerel, blue fish, trout and even a 20 pound shark!!!

Cons: You could tell that someone had been smoking before us in the two bedroom upstairs, this may be a smoking room... we should have asked. This B&B rents Kayaks, but look around there a far better rates. We took a 2 hour fish/kayak tour (caught nothing but not Curt's fault!) one evening. Next day rented a charter boat complete with captain, fishing gear, boat, shipmate, ice chest, etc... for same rate for four hours. Also suggest bringing your own fishing gear. Sun and Moon has rentals but it is pricey if you use it many hours.

This is a great place for a family weekend adventure or a romantic trip for two! Curt is a wonderful host, eager to accomodate and please his guests. Don't know how he manages to run such a nice place on his own but he does a great job. We will surely return....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
St. Augustine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I have been staying at the Sun and Moon Inn for 3 or 4 years now when in town for business. Curt is a gracious host and will take care of you like family. The rooms are clean and there are always snacks and goodies in the frig.
It’s amazing how you can walk into the back of the property where the pool, Jacuzzi, fire pit, numerous relaxing spots and most importantly, the water, are located and feel like you have walked into another world. The tranquility of the moving water, all of the marine and wildlife and the beautiful sunsets just lifts away any pressures and puts you in that “happy place”.
Most importantly for me, though, is the quality of fishing. The colder months find the BIG snook holed up in the small channel that runs right behind the property. I sight fished my biggest snook to date in the clear water right next to the dock… 42”. I have caught numerous other big snook and jacks right off the seawall and even hooked a sizeable tarpon one night. There’s nothing like putting in a long day of work knowing I have all of that waiting for me when I’m done.
The Sun and Moon Inn is also a great place to have as a “base” if you are fishing the Pine Island area. The dock is right there to tie up to and you can launch just a few hundred yards up the channel. Just wake up, jump in the boat and off you go. And just when you thought you are done with a long day of fishing and you return, you still have lots of opportunities right behind the property.
Bottom line…. If you have the opportunity to stay at the Sun and Moon Inn, don’t pass it up. I promise you will be a return customer for years to come!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business

Been to The Sun and the Moon Inn? Share your experiences!