“Loved It” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Science Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The John F. Kennedy Space Center has been the home of every manned space flight from the United States since 1968.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Western Australia
32 attraction reviews
“Loved It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

First lets qualify, I am a space nut! So a trip to NASA was always going to be hit with me.

We did the ATX Astronaut Training Experience. We got to meet Jon Mcbride who gave us a great talk about NASA and the shuttle missions, the famous astronauts he knew (Jon is a former shuttle pilot himself). He was facinating and such a lovely man. To meet a real astronaut and someone who has orbited the earth was a real treat.

Then we had to practice landing the shuttle on a simulator, and to unload the pay load and attach it to the space station. We also experienced weightlessness by means of weight counterbalance. We were then put in the spinning simulator, woah fun but dizzy.

Then as a group we conducted a shuttle mission from lift off, to unloading the pay load and landing. Everyone got a role and a script from shuttle commander, pilot, special ops 1 & 2 all in the shuttle to the control tower people and public relations. We then had to conduct the mission. I was the shuttle commander and had to fly and land the shuttle, awesome fun.

This experience was awesome and not just for me the space nut but also for my partner and teenage daughter who aren't space nuts. They really look after you with a free polo shirt, free drinks and snacks and freely share their passion for NASA and space. Bruno was great, fantastic guy. I highly recommend this.

We then looked through the hall of fame which was humbling. One day when we are traversing the universe these men and women will be held in the reverence that Marco Polo, Burke and Wills, Scott of the Antarctic etc are today.

We then went to Kennedy itself and did the bus tour and the shuttle launch experience which we enjoyed. Of course we hit the gift shop. I was happily surprised to find the price very reasonable for a giftshop. A nice change from Disney, Seaworld and Universal. So we bought heaps. The freeze dried ice cream is pretty ordinary though, but a great novelty.

We had a great day at Kennedy and loved the change of pace fom the Orlando parks. Meeting Jon Mcbride has inspired my daughter and shown her to chase her dreams and that alone is worth the price.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading
35 attraction reviews
“Interesting...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

...but not as I expected. It was interesting to learn lots about the space program but my young children were easily bored there. I think its really for older children, especially those interested in space. Given that the Shuttle is there it would have been nice to see it but we didn't get the chance, it was locked away from what I understood whilst the new attraction is built for it.
You see most things from a distance on a bus tour, you don't really get close to the things you want to see. The shuttle assembly buidling for one - if its no longer being used why can't we go in it - you can if you pay even more than the standard admission. This I felt was a little steep compared to the Orlando attractions. Paying for parking is also necessary at $10, bit of a liberty I think. Just set a single price and be clear about it. Look out for discount coupons though, I had one which effectively covered the parking fee.
Don't bust a gut to visit this from Orlando unless you are a really keen space nut. Sorry Kennedy but if you want to compete for tourists $ you need to up your game a bit.

orlando
13 attraction reviews
“Boring boring boring, Dont waste your hard earned cash,”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and i experienced thistour today, we had been really looking forward to it since we booked it some time ago, however i urge anyone who is not an avid space nut to reconsider. We booked a 2 hour bus tour and thats exactly what is was, we drove around the island taking photos at a distance, we were shown the outside of buildings and told what was inside them but we wern't allowed into them, they did however bring us into a large hanger which was empty except for a very poor cardbord replica os a space craft with tiles drawn on it!!! we made another stop where they had a toilet bolted down to stop it blowing away, this was the worst tour/experience i've ever had, the most exciting part of it was when a turtle crossed the road. sp please keep your cash its just not worth it

Orlando
16 attraction reviews
“Much improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited about 15 years ago. The center has grown and the exhibits have expanded. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the visit and how well done it is.

Visited November 2011
Perth, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“worthwhile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Interesting, informative and worthwhile if you want to know about NASA and the history of the space programs so far. I chose to pay extra at the ticket office for a tour around the launch control centre, which was a great insight and i am glad i did this. Used the time in the morning to wander around the main site and see a 45 minute IMAX 3D movie about the international space station, visit the simulated launch ride, review the rockets on display and had lunch. The tour of the launch control centre and other exhibits in the afternoon took 3 hours, so a full day out and I left feeling it was worth it. The $10 to park al day at the site is a bit of a cheek.