“Happy with my choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bradenton Beach
Norway
“Happy with my choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

When we arrived, we were told that our prebooked king room was being refurbished. We were given a suite instead at no extra cost (of course). Owners were helpful and friendly. Suite was clean enough and had what we needed. Bed was very comfortable even though it looked like it was about to fall apart.
The only small issue with our stay was that the ac was pretty loud and just barly kept the room cool enough.
The location is very good, 10 min walk over the bridge to Cortez. There are bikes free of charge at the "motel" and we used them frequently. AMI is close paradise, people are laid back and friendly, that goes for both the tourists and locals. We will be back to AMI/Cortez for sure and will certainly consider the Pelican Post again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

My first visit to AMI was in 2005 as a single parent with my little son- I knew nothing about the island, had limited internet access & had a strict budget. So I booked a room - and when I got there Alistair welcomed us -showed us to our efficiency room, told us about things to do & see. Our room was nothing fancy but a place to lay our heads at night. After two days Allistair said a family that was staying in one of the one bedroom apartments had checked out, and he wouldn't mind if we stayed there for the rest of our stay since it was not booked and he thought we could use the more space. And no extra cost. I'll never forget that kindness. Its getting harder & harder to find people who are willing to be nice without getting something for it. It was great to have a kitchen to cook and not have to eat out every meal, which left us more $$ to do activities. My son had a great time catching lizards in the yard. We have since come back almost every year - however a friend bought a place that we can stay in, otherwise I would be right back at The Pelican Post. I have great memories every time I pass by.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Northern Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Arrived to cooler weather than normal for this time of year, but still warmer than where we came from.

Check in was quick, entered 1 bedroom unit, was clean, tiled floors, newer updates to kitchenette, and older tiled bathroom.

Since it was colder, we had the run the AC unit as a heater the first night, but not needed the rest of the stay.

Enjoyed stay, and if we return to the area will not hesitate to stay again...compared to other condo rentals, a very good deal.

Pros:
Good location, 1 minute walk to Gulf Side, 1 minute walk to Bay Side (Bradenton Pier)
Outside Patio Furniture for lounging
Close to Post Office
Clean Room/Kitchen/Bathroom
Very resonable price for time period
As close to beach as other higher price condos

Cons:
Old bed, a little noiser, not overly comfortable...we were in Unit 7
Toilet runs a little long, had to jiggle stopper a couple of times, not a issue that was bad, just a little annoying after a while...

Some things to remember:
Tile floors, don't forget some slippers (socks dirty up fast..)
Visit Publix on North end of island for supplies...
Use the bikes available to tour around
Don't feed the birds and they will eventually try not to get into your room...lol...

• Liked — Location, location, location...
  • Disliked — Nothing major that crosses my mind
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

Booked two rooms last minute. Very happy that we stayed there. Great convenient location. Could walk to beach, restaurants, etc. Passed the cleaniness test by the fussiest person in party (age 80). Youngest member (20) enjoyed seeing something different than generic chain motel. Everyone wished we could stay longer. We hope to go back next year.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shakopee, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

After reading the reviews and staying there this last week, it's easy to see that those negative comments were really nit-picks. The place has a lot of charm. It's a 40's-50's style place, but as clean and well kept as if it were back then. My wife and I really enjoyed the relative peace and quiet (It's a block away from some bars at Bridge Square) and the beach was great - just two blocks from the room. Yeah, the traffic is thick on Gulf Drive, but the folks are nice and stop to let you across - except for the old duffers with plates from up north. Chill out! All of the folks in the place with us were very mellow. The area is a combination residential/commercial one but again, quite quiet. The beds were good, water pressure good, hot water very good, and the shower was easily big enough for two :) We were in unit 4. The separate kitchen/bedroom was perfect for an early riser married to a slumber princess. We had absolutely a great time. I wish I was still there!

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — Refrigerator on last legs - couldn't make ice
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect but was very happy with the result. When I arrived, there was nobody in the office but a note on the door indicated which room I was to be in and if there was any problems a phone number was provided. I went to the room and found it to be extremely clean and tidy. For the price it is great as you have your own kitchen if you want to make your meals. The new LCD TV's add a new touch to a old style room. The building may look older but your not staying in a 5 star hotel and paying the 5 star rate!! I found it a short walk down to the beach which was perfectly OK with me. I never even needed to call the office during my stay. I would stay there again and will hopefully next time I am in the area.

• Liked — Price, closeness to beach
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

Our family used to stay at the Pelican Post every year for our vacation. Lois and Walter were wonderful hosts and kept the property up very nicely. Now that the kids have left home, we decided to revisit our favorite vacation spot. We were disappointed to find that there were new owners but made reservations. Upon arriving, things looked a little run down and the room wasn't as clean as it should be. There were remnants of 3 bars of soap in the shower stall soap dish which made us question the cleanliness of everything else. The mattress was very uncomfortable, the remote for the TV didn't work and all the drawers in the dresser were broken when pulled out. Although we had planned on staying for a week, we checked out the next morning and moved to a newer, cleaner motel. The new owners need to reinvest some money into keeping the place up. That is our last visit to the Pelican Post and can't really recommend it to friends who visit the beautiful beaches there.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness and upkeep
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alastair_7, Owner at Pelican Post Motel, responded to this review, July 15, 2007
We were sad to read the review submitted by meldon and I agree that old soap bars in the shower tray is totally unacceptable. Our regular housekeeper Shirley, usually works every day and I mean EVERY DAY, 365 per year!! The day meldon was due to check in Shirley had her second sick day in three years and our agency staff did match up to their hype. Still as a traveller or manager – this mistake was not acceptable.
Our beds have Serta Pillowtop mattresses and usually receive good reviews.
The broken drawer in the dresser must have been an inconvenience and was avoidable, but has since been repaired.
The broken TV remote has been consigned to the dumpster along with the TV. #3 now sports a brand new high def flat screen LCD TV.

We clearly dropped the ball with this guest and I would like to apologise to them. Read our other reviews and the overwhelming consensus is that we have a clean establishment.

I would like to add that they did not approach the duty manager (or anyone else) to allow us to rectify the problems or to offer them some kind of recompense. Had they informed us of the issues they were encountering and we had subsequently failed to rectify them, I could understand this bad review. Sadly however, the first we knew of any problems was this submission. A little unfair.

Alastair

Been to Pelican Post Motel? Share your experiences!