“Go on in, do not be put off by the location or appearance” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
london se
“Go on in, do not be put off by the location or appearance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were told about this place by the doorman at our hotel. We went to find it and did not fancy the look of the place. It was getting late and other places were closing. Thank goodness they were. When we went back, my partner was told that last orders were at 10pm, so we'd have 50 mins.

The place is small and cosy inside and has a nice atmosphere. The servers were all charming and serve all tables, but our allocated server was a delight. Not being well versed in sushi, although having tried a lot over the years we asked her to put together some choices for us to try, especially from the specials list.

We had the crazy lucy soup - miso based with fragrant herbs, tomato concasse, what a brilliant and fresh combination of flavours. A perfect start. We had some divine sashimi and the house speciality sushi - which was topped with tempura crumbs - we almost came to blows over it. The sashimi snapper was perfectly served with amazing sauces as was the serviette which had a subtle heat and intensely wonderful flavour.

The food was well-paced and we did order a lot, as we'd wasted a lot of time dithering over who would get our custom for the evening - i'm glad it was here. The server said that we did not need to rush as they'd stay open for us - how nice was that?

We also had the tempura shrimp, and world war 3 broke out over sharing the 5th piece it was so well cooked. So often things like this are crisply fried but the contents loose their flavour. Here you could taste the full flavour of the shrimp which had been steamed inside the light crispy batter.

We talked to the server and discovered that they do not actually have a kitchen, just the sushi chefs behind the counter, a fridge and one deep fat fryer. The fish was so fresh and well prepared that it was obvious that it was fresh that day.

The choice of house white wine at $10 for a huge glass was the perfect foil to the food.

Despite having eaten a lot - we had the green tea ice cream (It really tastes of Japanese Green Tea, which most do not). We then decided on the (oh my god, i can hear my arteries hardening at the mention of it)...tempura cheesecake. Yes, you heard me....Deep fried Cheesecake. It was heavenly in a bad, bad, bad way.

Ok, so we had a lot of food and fish this fresh is not cheap, so our bill for 2 was $169, but we probably had enough food for 3 or 4!

I have eaten sushi all over the world and this was a place that took it to a whole new and other level. Superb.

How do i justify this? The server said that their sauces are so good they hardly ever have to fill up the soy sauce as no-one uses it.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boynton Beach, Florida
“Good quality but very pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

In strip mall near WinnDixie otherwise hard to find based on address. Seating inside (dark, uninteresting) and outside. No view of anything except parking lot from outside and inside is not very intereseting either but cool and dry. Prices are high for sushi but very good quality. Service is good. Parking is easy on weekdays but I suspect difficult on weekends sicne there are 3 restraunts right there. Yes, I would go back again but first I want to try other sushi places in Boynton Beach area.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Davie
“The BEST sushi EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

If you want the freshest sushi in town, go to Sushi Simon. Take out or dine in,,,,, you will never be able to eat sushi anywhere else and enjoy it as much as in this restaurant. The owners purchase fresh fish everyday from local fisherman.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“High Quality Sushi in a Local setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Located in a strip mall Sushi Simon serves quality sushi and some creative American versions of sushi. I'm a purists and to me the "junk rolls" are not real sushi. Sushi is all about the fish and the rice! Those of you that like these rolls will be very happy with the quality and assortment. One big plus for Simon, they have real wasabi.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton, Florida
“Rip off reputations stands”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This local sushi joint used to have a raving reputation for creative rolls and off the chain fresh sushi. After hearing the old tales and the less raving newer ones that the owner got 'too big for his britches' and that they pushed specials without any written price in special menu resulting in 'sticker shock' I had to find out for myself....
I sat at the sushi bar and ordered the 2008 roll. It's the first roll on their specials page and costs $25. Within 5 minutes, I was served a small...yes as in thin and circumference..8 pc roll. They could see the disappointed expression on my face. I thought I was served someone else's dinner. I did express that it didn't feel it represented what was described on the menu and wasnt impressive looking for the price. What they'd advertised as Maine lobster was cold stringy CLAW meat!! And not even the meaty part but the mushy cartilage part (the size of a dime no less) with cilantro. On top was a spicy tuna mixture, thinly sliced avocado and an even thinner (more like translucent) layer of shrimp. I ate and ran...and will not be giving them any more biz. Bummer:( Service & atmosphere great, cutting corners on key ingredients not do much...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere