“Only use for emergency visits.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Boca Raton
South Jersey
“Only use for emergency visits.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Multiple problems. AC thermostat not working. When fixed, blew cold damp air. Room musty, and everything soggy. Sink and tub faucets broken. Toilet was vintage airport style with exposed plumbing. Never completely fixed. No place to hang bath or hand towels. Cracked water glass, never replaced. No towels one day. Had to grab from maid's cart. Light bulb out in bathroom. Had to request from housekeeping. Melted ice left in bucket and no plastic liners left. TV very dark and was told there was no way to adjust brightness. Complained to desk and was offered free breakfast which we don't eat. (Just came from Hampton in Fort Myers which includes breakfast in room fee). Complained to corporate who offered us free weekend. Without a 100% redo, why would submit ourselves to this. Jumped into a hot shower as soon as we got home.

• Stayed May 2013
Debra S, General Manager at Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I appreciate any and all feedback from my guests.

I apologize for the less than pleasant experience that you had with us. We strive to make every guest have a wonderful time with us. We are making improvements everyday and I welcome you to return to our hotel to see these changes for yourself.

I assure you that you will not have a repeat experience. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Deb Saccavino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel May 5-8, 2013. I made reservations thru their direct website... not a third party site. I requested a military discount and it gave me a rate of $40/night for a room that is normally priced $179/night. If $179 is the regular price, this would be an overcharge for this room. It was about a $100/night room. When I saw the rate of $40/night for military, I immediately booked my stay. I had my boyfriend coming into town from Philadelphia and could not beat the price considering our other expenses for those days. We had wanted to stay on the beach but the military rate at every other hotel in town was $84. The Renaissance is directly off of I95 and about 5 miles from the beach so it was still convenient for our beach excursions and definitely worth the savings. I booked my room approximately 10 days prior to my stay and confirmed with a credit card. On Friday morning, I called and confirmed my reservation and total amount. I asked if the room had a microwave and refrigerator. I was told that it did not, but they could have a fridge put in my room for me. About 24 hours prior to my arrival I received an email from the manager of the hotel, Mathias Weber. The email stated that there had been a glitch in their system and it mistakenly gave me too low of a rate. The military rate should have been $124 but he said since it was their systems glitch, they would give me a discounted rate of $84. It seems a bit of a coincidence that the rate he gave me as a "favor" was exactly what every other hotel was charging for military rate that week. I watched their website for a week and the $40 never changed so the "glitch" lasted a while before anyone noticed. Upon reading the email, I immediately called the hotel and asked for Mathias. He was not on property so I explained to the front desk person, Alex, my situation. I told her that I felt it was unfair for the hotel to more than double my rate (even with his discounted favor) 24 hours prior to my arrival. I told her that I had printed out my confirmation and the rate I have confirmed should be honored. She asked me a few questions then said she would speak with the manager that was on duty and call me back. She called me back in about 5 minutes. She assured me they would honor the $40/night rate. She said she had already changed it in the computer and that upon check in my total rate for the stay would be $133 with tax. I had arranged for early check in that Sunday morning. This was no problem and I was told the refrigerator was already in my room waiting for me. After I went thru the check in procedure, I told the front desk person that I would be making a few trips thru the lobby as I brought food with me as well as our luggage. When my boyfriend and I were carrying a load in a few minutes later (both of our arms were completely full), she stopped me and asked if I had a different credit card. I asked her, "Why, what is wrong with the one I gave you? You already checked me in." At this time, we were standing in the middle of the lobby and she was not behind the desk. She said, "Your card was declined." I asked her how much she tried to charge to it. She responded with an amount (I don't remember the exact amount) close to $500. I asked her how she came to that figure as my rate should be $40/night. Alex had assured me over the phone less than 24 hours before that it was fixed in the computer. She then said it was $84/night. I said, "That still doesn't come to almost $500 for 3 nights." I had to put down all of my bags, go back out to my car, and get my confirmation that I had printed. She then fixed it and apologized. This was very embarrassing. There were other people in the lobby that I'm sure were witness to all of this. I had already been upset due to the email from Mathias, then was assured it would be corrected, only to be embarrassed checking in. I think that Mathias should have personally called me to discuss the rate change instead of sending me an impersonal email. What if I had not checked my email prior to my stay? I would have had no idea about the rate change and would have been even more upset and embarrassed. That was the only thing negative I can say about my experience at The Renaissance. The hotel was clean, they attended to my needs, the housekeeping staff was more than friendly to us. Every time we passed a staff member in the hallway, they spoke to us. We were on the club level floor and received breakfast every morning. It was delicious and plentiful. The breakfast had a various selection of hot and cold items. They even had fresh squeezed orange juice! The pool area is gorgeous but could have used a little cleaning up. The cabanas had mold on them, but this is Florida and I'm used to seeing a little mold every where. There were leaves all over the ground around the pool and the lounge chairs/tables were a bit wobbly. We checked more than one and found the same. It was not that big of a deal. The pool area has a bar area with flat screens to watch the games on. This was a nice surprise for us as we are basketball fans and could see the tv's from our lounge chairs!! A jacuzzi was also in the pool area. The water was very cloudy and sudsy. We were nervous about getting in the water not knowing what was clouding it up. We finally figured out it was what we thought to be shampoo. I don't know if a customer did this or if the hotel is responsible, but it turned us off. We only sat on the edge with our feet in. The lobby and patio are beautifully decorated. The hotel was very quiet and no one bothered us. We were able to spend much needed quality time relaxing. The a/c was very cold which is a must here in Florida. The room was very nice also. It has shelving that we were able to use as a storage area for our food. The room also had a safe and a coffee maker. The room had a chaise lounge which was a nice change from the usual table and chair. There was a large desk that you can eat on if necessary. We received the newspaper every morning. There was a large flat screen tv in the room. The bed was very comfortable. As I said before, the room was very nice and clean, but it was not a $179 room if that's what they usually charge. I would stay at The Renaissance Boca Hotel again, if the rate is right. I am traveling to Philly next month, and the first hotel I checked out online was The Renaissance Philadelphia Airport. Their rate was way too high. Even with my military discount applied, it was almost $200/night. All in all, The Renaissance Boca is a decent hotel and the service from the staff on the floor was exceptional. Once, the rate problem was fixed, I was relaxed and forgot I actually live here and wasn't on a vacation :)

oh and one more thing, we had a bottle of wine to open and although I remembered everything else down to toothpicks to bring for our stay, I forgot the corkscrew :/
My boyfriend suggested we go down to their bar and ask them to open our bottle. One of the servers gave me a corkscrew and I started to open the bottle at the bar. She said, "go ahead and take it to your room and open it together." I said, "I'll bring it back down to you when we are finished." She told me just to keep it. I thought that was very nice of her. Like I said, they all had great customer service :)

Room Tip: if you can, get a room on the club level to enjoy their breakfast and fresh squeezed OJ every mornin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you and your boyfriend had a pleasant stay.

I would once again like to apologize for the discrepancy in your room rate. Yes there was a technical glitch in the system in which our club level rooms were listed at $40 instead of the normal rate of $124.00. When we had realized that there was an error we had notified all of the affected guests immediately and adjusted the rate to our standard government room rate. As you mentioned due to the inconvenience, we had honored the initial $40 rate that you had reserved.

I am glad the remainder of your stay was a relaxing experience and I truly hope you will return to our hotel to relax for another Florida Staycation.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here twice in last two years. My wife and I come to Boca 3-4 times yearly to visit an aging relative and have stayed at all the Marriots here as we'll as most other hotels. We tried this one hoping that the promised room renovations would be done but ,alas, no.
The room was adequate and relatively clean. Unfortunately the room was missing adequate towels, a working tv,functioning ac/heat, a TV guide for the tv which was eventually fixed.
The service was good in that all of the above we're corrected relatively rapidly but there was a sense that this room had not been inhabited recently.
All of the service people were very nice and helpful but gave the feeling that they had been given a poorly functioning ship to run.
Once again I was told that renovation of the rooms was underway but I hav heard this before.
Some of the other reviews are quite positive about the pool area but we are not here for that so can moment on that.
Also be warned that there is no shop for sundries,water, snacks etc.
Finally this hotel has promise but give it a year or two to get it's act together. Having said that it is only fair to say the same about all hotels in Boca in this price range. Check them all out as they are all getting long in the tooth.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I can understand your frustration regarding the status of our hotel. My team and I strive to provide every guest the best service possible. We would like to speed up the process of a renovation but unfortunately that is not in our power at this time.

I would welcome you to return to the hotel to see some of the changes / improvements that we have already made. We have brought on a new Executive Chef, a new Chief Engineer as well as a new Beverage & Food Director. I am confident with our excellent leadership team, you will have a much better experience than you have had in the past.

Tarrytown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

At the end of March my husband and I needed a pre-cruise hotel in the Boca Raton area. We were visiting family the day before our cruise out of Miami. After reading several not so good reviews about the rooms , we were a bit hesitant. The area was very convenient for us so we opted to give it a try. The hotel was lovely!!! The lobby and public rooms were quite modernized and the staff extremely welcoming. Our room was immaculate and the bedding was quite comfortable. We are clean freaks, so this is always our 1st concern! Yes, the rooms do need some updating. We were told during a very pleasant conversation with their front office manager that this will be done by the end of the year. We enjoyed a night cap in the hotel bar and full breakfast the next morning before heading out. Overall a very pleasant property that I would not hesitate to return to - even before the rooms are re-done!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you were able to catch up with family before you disembarked on a much deserved cruise.

We have been speaking with our ownership group regarding upcoming renovations to our hotel. I will post more information as I know more.

We look forward to your next visit with us and I hope to meet you during your travels.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have just returned from a long weekend at the Renaissance. Went to Lynn University's open house which is nearby. The hotel is clean and inviting. There is always fresh flavored water (cucumber, orange, grapefruit) in the lobby which is refreshing. Free coffee is served in the morning as well. Breakfast was slow moving as far as service goes but lunch by the pool was quick and very good, Our room was nice and the pillows were incredible. My only complaint was that I had to ask for towels everyday. They never gave enough and we were only 2 people. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you had enjoyed your time here. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. The infused water is only one of the many amenities we have throughout the hotel for you to discover during your stay.

I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us.

Washington D.C. Metro Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a bit tired. As noted, the pool area is the best spot in the place. I see it noted that it is being renovated, but I saw no sign of this activity. The hotel itself is in a rather odd location, but near a number of places to eat and shop. I would look for other accommodations is I have a choice.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate your time in doing so.

We are in preliminary talks regarding upcoming renovations but nothing has been made definite as of yet. We have made some upgrades to our pool area and focused on cleaning and maintaining the area as well.

I hope that you will return to our hotel to notice the changes that we have made.

Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while we were in Boca Raton for a wedding. My husband and I are Marriott Gold Members so we travel to many different Marriott Hotels. The good points about the hotel were that it was modernized, had a nice pool area and they even had a shuttle service that took us offsite to the wedding.

The bad points of the hotel was that I had requested a refrigerator to store my breast milk and was told that they would check with house keeping and get back to me, but never got back to me. I was then told that I could store my breast milk in their refrigerator. I did not feel comfortable doing this on the off chance my milk got mixed up with someone else's milk. I also had sanitary concerns not only for my milk but for the other items stored in this fridge. We had also requested adjoining rooms and did not even get rooms on the same floor. Also, my husband and I requested a late check out on the Sunday so that we could enjoy the pool area (where we were eating and drinking with our 4 friends that we brought along) we were checking out and were told we could not have the late check out, not even for one of the rooms. As Gold members, we have never been denied this request especially when we were checking out on a Sunday. Lastly, when we checked out, the women at the front desk shooed us away and asked why I was still standing there. I stated I was checking out and they said, you are all set and din't even give us our bill. Well when my husband and I got home, we checked our bill online and found that instead of applying our ECertificates for the 2 rooms, we were doubled charged!

Overall, we expected more from our stay and based on this experience, would not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I appreciate you taking time to share your recent experience with us. It is easier for me to make upgrades to our hotel and service levels when I receive excellent feedback from our guests.

I am sorry that you did not receive a refrigerator nor were you granted an extended departure time. Even though the hotel was busy with the wedding, we should have made a better effort to accommodate your requests.

I certainly hope that you would allow us to renew your faith in our hotel. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us.

Deb Saccavino

Been to Renaissance Boca Raton Hotel? Share your experiences!