“Rooms fine - questionable characters hanging around lobby” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Boca Raton
Kansas City, Missouri
“Rooms fine - questionable characters hanging around lobby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Pros: Clean room with fresh smelling linens. Decent breakfast. (Holiday Inn really needs to revamp their breakfasts to fresher grains and fresh fruit but their milk & OJ are always fresh & cold and they do offer oatmeal packets.)

Cons: Carpet in halls is very worn, dirty and dated. Biggest con of all is that there was a man, and older child were hanging around lobby, making loud distractions and not being run off. At one point, the man told the older child that I was the perfect victim...as I was sitting at the lobby computer with a cell phone in front of me. He told the boy that they would generally distract me on one side, while the other person would cause a distraction on the opposite, and they would swipe the phone. They were sizing up the crowd in the hotel breakfast area. Creepy. This is a person that an employee says "stays there a lot" and the desk clerk did not seem the least bit concerned. One employee did mention that they "had already called the police" on him...but why wasn't he asked/told to leave by the staff? Traveling can be dangerous enough with Dickens-esque characters being a part of it.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on the first floor parking lot area. To much light and noise to sleep well.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WestPalmBeachSailor, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond. You did the right thing by bringing attention to the questionable characters to the front desk staff. We work to ensure our guests have a pleasant experience. Hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
North Port, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Nothing Fancy! A one night stay and it was adequate for what we needed. The room was somewhat blah, no pictures on the wall, the little in the room coffee pot didn't work but they had a nice free breakfast so we got our coffee there.. WiFi was included. Access to the rooms as far as we could tell was only from the lobby and we saw no elevator. We were traveling light so 1 flight of stairs with one little suitcase was no big deal. They also had a security guy constantly going around the premises on a golf cart so we felt our vehicle and it's contents were safe and secure and they were. The hotel met our needs.

Room Tip: I checked the left box for kids activities and room service and it shows terrible. As far as we cou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear kleelargo,

Thank you for staying with us. Your feedback is very important to us. We are glad you enjoyed your overall stay. We do not think of ourselves as basic or average, as we strive to be the best. We are sorry you were not fully satisfied with your room accommodations. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Jacksonville, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is not what I’ve come to expect from Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. I was embarrassed to have chosen this hotel for a group of family members. We booked two rooms and e-mailed weeks ahead to request a room in the main building as we didn’t want to be on a ground floor room that opened on the parking lot.

The surly desk clerk obviously didn’t really care to be there. Upon arrival to the rooms that smelled horribly musty/moldy, rust spots were observed everywhere. The room just felt grimy and unclean. Two members of the party (of normal size and weight) sat at the foot of one bed and the entire mattress flipped up. And the kicker: the room opened up in to the parking lot of the seedy area – just what I had requested to be away from.

Between the undesirable neighborhood, not living up to our requests, the smell of mold, visible rust, and overall unkempt feeling – we checked out right away and moved to another hotel. Save yourself the time. This hotel will likely lose its Holiday Inn affiliation soon.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear KerryBoat,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I sincerely apologize for we fell below your standards with regard to the room condition particularly with the level of cleanliness. Further, we are truly sorry for the dissatisfaction you had with our service level and the issues with your reservation. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

It is our hotel's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We value your custom and as always we remain at your disposal.

Dhan M
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I am a frequent guest and Gold Elite club member. Of the HIX properties I stay at, this property is the most run down of any HIX I frequent. Every room has that clammy wet smell, carpets and furnishings throughout are simply worn and tired. Or cigarette burned, even though I am always in a non-smoking room. The business center is a disabled printer and computer right across from the reception desk. No possibility of working privately as any passerby can see the computer screen. The parking lot in the rear has concrete curbs askew and there is always a large puddle of water to cross when entering the rear door. Which is the typical entrance if you are in one of the tower rooms. My last visit there, will truly be my last, as I conducted a meeting there with a colleague and he asked me why I stayed in this dump. I do quite a bit of business in the Boca Area, and unfortunately this HIX property is no longer on my list of options.

Room Tip: Never ever stay in the two level side. Always request the tower. The rooms are newer but still, oh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear rando1994,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property and being an IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite Member. I am truly sorry that this visit was a disappointment on many aspects particularly with the condition of the room that you were given. I understand the discomfort that this situation may have caused and I appreciate you letting us know about this as this is our best means of improving what we can offer.

Again, thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Regards,

Pam G
Hallandale Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night for business.
1.The room was clean.
2.The room had a nice flat screen t.v..
3.Great cable channels.
4. It also came with a fridge
5. No microwave
6. Wi-Fi is included. Free for 24 hours.
7.Included hot and cold breakfast till 10:30 am. I didn't eat it. I wanted to enjoy Dunkin Doughnuts.

This location is situated right in front of a Marshalls. Across the street there is a Dunkin Doughnuts, Burger King, and Starbucks.

Overall, I didn't have any issues with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to respond. Being a Dunkin Donut coffee drinker myself, I understand your feeling regarding it beneficial to be located so close to the hotel. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the near future. Feel free to conatct the sales department if we can be of further assistance. Safe Travels.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

According to the other reviews, I think this hotel has been refreshed. Very clean and beautiful entrance, carpets clean, was located upstairs (second floor).Could see the pool from my room. Quiet, attach to mall. Nice hot daily breakfast, 24 hour hot coffee at front desk and homemade cookies. The only problem at this hotel: there were rats at the pool my children age 19 and 21 went to the pool (outdoor) on the Friday heard noise but since it was getting dark did not see anything, on Saturday some other guest told them that there were rats near the wall, I went to check with them and I saw 3 running near the wall behind the plants, told the front desk. Was told we know about it, someone is coming on Monday (I think this is a no-no when in business). If someone did come on Monday, we still saw them on Tuesday, and again on Wednesday by then my daughter did not want to go to the pool, which usually she enjoys very much. So this was the big problem, Stay away from the pool. From May 10 to 17.

Room Tip: On second floor, in newer second they have balconies. Are room had large windows and were sunny, nic...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here, a combination of business and leisure. Comfortable beds, free breakfast and very quiet, considering we were close to the highway. The hotel is old, but very clean and the staff was very nice. I misplaced my glasses and when I went to the front desk, they had found them in a sitting area and were very pleasant to me. We plan to return to this hotel!

Room Tip: We were on the 4 th floor, non smoking floor...away from the noise on first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond regarding your experience at our hotel. We do appreciate your comments and we do appreciate your long term loyalty. We are here for you. If there is anything we can do for you please do not ever hesitate to contact us directly in the future. We wish you safe travels and please keep us in mind for any future stays in the South Florida area. Have the greatest of days.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West? Share your experiences!