“A good value when traveling unexpectedly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Boca Raton
New York City, New York
“A good value when traveling unexpectedly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Had to come into Fort Lauderdale for a family issue unexpectedly and since it was Spring break there were not many choices in Ft. Lauderdale. Yes the cranky old man and woman still work the front desk but they certainly are not members of the Adams Family. The rooms are clean, bathrooms same and all rooms have refrigerators. The location is ideal with many restaurants, malls and other attractions. The guests are friendly. I had a good experience here. Breakfast is free as is wifi. Not the case at the Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floors 3 or 4. Ground level has a motel feel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond. We have a great location 30 minutes North of Ft. Lauderdale and rates that are not as high ! We pride ourself in our friendly staff and next time you come into town please stop in and try the afternoon cookies. They might just make your stay even nicer. Safe Travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Until a few years ago we had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Boca West, Boca Raton, Florida at least once a year, and I'd reviewed it very favorably. After a few years when circumstances led to us staying in private accommodations nearby, we returned to this property for a week, and I can continue to recommend this property as a very good choice in the western Boca Raton area.

I now rate it 4/5, not because it has dropped in quality, but because I believe standards have increased for properties in this category. (Actually, if it were available, I'd score it 4 1/2 out of 5.) The property continues to be very well maintained, and housekeeping/cleanliness continues to be excellent; so what, if anything, is missing? Well, the roomy units are still, as they were, very good, but nowadays travelers have generally increased their expectations in this level of lodging and most Holiday Inn Expresses, as well as most Hampton Inns and Fairfield Inns, as examples, seem to include an in-room refrigerator, microwave, and wired, as well as wireless, internet access, but the Holiday Inn Boca West offers only a refrigerator and only wireless internet. The refrigerator is one of the largest small refrigerators we've seen in a motel room, and while it does not include a freezer compartment, it was both quiet and effective. Only one ground floor ice machine serves the four story building, but that does make for less noise and foot traffic on floors 2-4. The HVAC in-room unit worked well and was unusually quiet, and all rooms have opening windows (or doors to balconies) which allow one to admit fresh air, which we consider a great, (and unfortunately increasingly rare,) advantage.

The breakfast is a fairly standard Holiday Inn Express offering, and the room and supplies were well-maintained.

Local and toll-free calls are free. Staff are generally pleasant and helpful, and cookies are on the reception desk each afternoon. The location is very convenient to the Glades Road exit of Florida's Turnpike and there are plenty of retail outlets and eateries close by, including some within walking distance.

If you need accommodations near this exit of the Turnpike, or even from I-95 a bit further east, or in the vicinity of West Boca, including Century Village Boca West, this would be a very choice.

On room choice, note that rooms in the two-story wing each havea terrace or balcony, but also note that this wing is not served by the elevator, unlike the four-story wing. It might be worth one flight of stairs for the pleasant balconies.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the four-story wing and on the south side of the two-story wing face away...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Everyone's time is valuable and you help to make our property more attractive. We are happy that youn have returned to stay with us and we all agree, the cookies are very tasty. Thanks again for the positve thoughts and we wish you safe travels in the future. Look forward to seeing you again....and again.....and again !
Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

First the positive and that is I was only staying 1 night, otherwise I would have left right away.
The hotel looks like a motel from outside and not like somewhere you want to stay. When checking in I was greeted by a large male and a cranky old lady. Both grunted at me and seemed aggravated that they had to do they're job. They barely spoke just putting paper down and pointing at the signature line before handing me my keys.
Walking to my room, I was instantly caught by the damp musty smell and a dehumidifier in the hallway. The property looked very old and almost like a converted super 8.
Entering my room, the smell was worse and humidity off the chart. This was confirmed by the fact that every paper item in the room was curling up and anything that could rust or corrode had so.
Despite this, the linens and bathroom were clean, and it was late, so I decided to just suck it up.
Later that night going to the bathroom the carpet made a squelch sound and was soaking wet and a puddle around 18"s wide had appeared in the corner of the bathroom.
Other issues, the carpet was worn beyond death and was begging to been removed. The AC unit had 2 settings, on and off.

On the plus side, beds were comfortable, it was dark so I slept well and breakfast was typical of HIE. Internet was fast.

Room Tip: There is a Marriott on Military Tr, pay extra and go there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When you turn into the parking lot you thing that you must have miss the turn to Holiday Inn Express; for it doesn't resemble any other Holiday Inn Expresses. Gentlemen at the front desk needs to take lesson on how to be friendly from the lady who checked us in and the housekeepers. The decor of the room was very bland but clean. They do have an area where you can purchase a few snacks. The basket filled with peanut butter, oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies that they put out late afternoon are very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We respect our guests opinions and we value each and every one of you. So glad you like the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. Please stay with us again next time you are in our neighborhood. Safe Travels.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I needed to be in the area and found very few hotels from which to choose. I took the LAST room, which happened to be a smoking room. I am non-smoker myself, but thought how bad could it be for only one nigh? Well, I soon found out...it was plenty bad. The room positively reeked of smoke! I awoke at 2 am, unable to return to sleep because of the offensive odor. The following day I thought I might have a cold with symptoms of runny nose and frequent sneezing bouts. But by the next day, my symptoms had completely disappeared so I attributed them to my unfortunate smoking room stay.

Had I been able to choose a non-smoking room, I would have rated the hotel higher. It was comfortable, with nice amenities and a decent breakfast. Perhaps my review will encourage the owners to make the entire hotel non-smoking in the near future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear lizlubee,

We appreciate your feedback of our property. I am happy to read that you found our location ideal to your needs. However, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the room accommodations that you received. I appreciate you letting us know about this circumstance as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your review. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pearl River, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We really like Holiday Inn Express. And Tay frequently in different locations.
We are platinum priority members, so expect upgrades etc.
We had booked. A king room for four nights.
There were two reservations. These were made online with priority plus.
Somehow thre nights were booked as generic room, only the last night was the king as ordered.
We complained on arrival and were told that the hotel was fully booked and we could not be given the king almost ion, but would be moved. In two days.
This occurred seamlessly. With the staff mong our luggage up a floor and settling us into the much larger and more comfortable king room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to stay with the Holiday Inn Express brand and we do appreciate your opinions as our valued guest. During season we try our best to move guests to specific rooms however there are time we are unable to do so due to availability. I'm glad we are able to take care of your particular situation in a timely manner. Please stay with us again when in teh Boca raton area. Safe travels and keep in touch.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Not nearly as nice as some of the Holiday Inn Express properties I've stayed at. Hotel was full (I saw them turn someone away), so we were in the older section of the hotel on the second floor. No elevator access to this section. I suspect this property barely passes the Holiday Inn Express minimum standards.

Nevertheless, good hotels are very expensive in this area, and at $162 inc. tax, I got pretty much what I expected. I would guess my room was redone over 6 years ago. It was quiet and clean enough and breakfast was fine.

If you're picky, expect to pay more than $300 for a decent room in the Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. We are constantly working hard to create positive guest experiences and our staff is very friendly and everyone looks forward to your next visit. We all hope you enjoyed your stay and will join the club of repeat customers.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West? Share your experiences!