“Bottom of the barrel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 26 hotels in Boca Raton
Charlotte
“Bottom of the barrel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

First the positive and that is I was only staying 1 night, otherwise I would have left right away.
The hotel looks like a motel from outside and not like somewhere you want to stay. When checking in I was greeted by a large male and a cranky old lady. Both grunted at me and seemed aggravated that they had to do they're job. They barely spoke just putting paper down and pointing at the signature line before handing me my keys.
Walking to my room, I was instantly caught by the damp musty smell and a dehumidifier in the hallway. The property looked very old and almost like a converted super 8.
Entering my room, the smell was worse and humidity off the chart. This was confirmed by the fact that every paper item in the room was curling up and anything that could rust or corrode had so.
Despite this, the linens and bathroom were clean, and it was late, so I decided to just suck it up.
Later that night going to the bathroom the carpet made a squelch sound and was soaking wet and a puddle around 18"s wide had appeared in the corner of the bathroom.
Other issues, the carpet was worn beyond death and was begging to been removed. The AC unit had 2 settings, on and off.

On the plus side, beds were comfortable, it was dark so I slept well and breakfast was typical of HIE. Internet was fast.

Room Tip: There is a Marriott on Military Tr, pay extra and go there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When you turn into the parking lot you thing that you must have miss the turn to Holiday Inn Express; for it doesn't resemble any other Holiday Inn Expresses. Gentlemen at the front desk needs to take lesson on how to be friendly from the lady who checked us in and the housekeepers. The decor of the room was very bland but clean. They do have an area where you can purchase a few snacks. The basket filled with peanut butter, oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies that they put out late afternoon are very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We respect our guests opinions and we value each and every one of you. So glad you like the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. Please stay with us again next time you are in our neighborhood. Safe Travels.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I needed to be in the area and found very few hotels from which to choose. I took the LAST room, which happened to be a smoking room. I am non-smoker myself, but thought how bad could it be for only one nigh? Well, I soon found out...it was plenty bad. The room positively reeked of smoke! I awoke at 2 am, unable to return to sleep because of the offensive odor. The following day I thought I might have a cold with symptoms of runny nose and frequent sneezing bouts. But by the next day, my symptoms had completely disappeared so I attributed them to my unfortunate smoking room stay.

Had I been able to choose a non-smoking room, I would have rated the hotel higher. It was comfortable, with nice amenities and a decent breakfast. Perhaps my review will encourage the owners to make the entire hotel non-smoking in the near future!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear lizlubee,

We appreciate your feedback of our property. I am happy to read that you found our location ideal to your needs. However, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the room accommodations that you received. I appreciate you letting us know about this circumstance as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your review. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Pearl River, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We really like Holiday Inn Express. And Tay frequently in different locations.
We are platinum priority members, so expect upgrades etc.
We had booked. A king room for four nights.
There were two reservations. These were made online with priority plus.
Somehow thre nights were booked as generic room, only the last night was the king as ordered.
We complained on arrival and were told that the hotel was fully booked and we could not be given the king almost ion, but would be moved. In two days.
This occurred seamlessly. With the staff mong our luggage up a floor and settling us into the much larger and more comfortable king room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to stay with the Holiday Inn Express brand and we do appreciate your opinions as our valued guest. During season we try our best to move guests to specific rooms however there are time we are unable to do so due to availability. I'm glad we are able to take care of your particular situation in a timely manner. Please stay with us again when in teh Boca raton area. Safe travels and keep in touch.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Not nearly as nice as some of the Holiday Inn Express properties I've stayed at. Hotel was full (I saw them turn someone away), so we were in the older section of the hotel on the second floor. No elevator access to this section. I suspect this property barely passes the Holiday Inn Express minimum standards.

Nevertheless, good hotels are very expensive in this area, and at $162 inc. tax, I got pretty much what I expected. I would guess my room was redone over 6 years ago. It was quiet and clean enough and breakfast was fine.

If you're picky, expect to pay more than $300 for a decent room in the Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. We are constantly working hard to create positive guest experiences and our staff is very friendly and everyone looks forward to your next visit. We all hope you enjoyed your stay and will join the club of repeat customers.
York, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express is just west of the Florida Turnpike exit on Glades Road. Super convenient to that area, and practically across the street from a Starbucks.
We had a room on the third floor in what has been called the "newer section" of the hotel. This section was actually new a long time ago, and has lost a bit of luster over the years. When I made the reservation three months in advance I requested two adjoining rooms on the fourth floor. Several times I was told that this request would be considered, but could not be guaranteed. When I checked in I got two rooms neither adjoining nor on the fourth floor. So much for their consideration.
The rooms were pretty standard. One actually had pictures on the wall over the beds. The second could easily be labeled spartan. Bathrooms were clean. There was free wi-fi very easily accessed. The breakfast was adequate but limited. The breakfast area was pleasant compared to many in similar motels.
My most serious complaint -- the beds. The matresses should have been replaced many nights ago. The sides closest to the center lamp were several inches lower than the outer sides, and the springs on the inner sides gave little support. One was forced to the outer edge of the matress (away from the light) for comfort, there to grasp the edge preventing a return to the depths.
Staff was fine. Their uniforms reminded me of bus driver from the 1960's.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Glades Road side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lou F, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. As a seasoned traveler, I am sure you understand hotels. We are constantly upgrading and remodeling our facility in an effort to meet our guests needs. I hope you will consider our property in the future. We are proud of our staff and are fortuneate to be located in such a vibrant part of Boca Raton. Safe travels.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in room 206, and the room was a disappointment from the very start. The first thing I saw when we opened the door was the corner of the wall in front of us had a large, badly repaired gouge in it.

Once we entered the bathroom we noticed a pube on the floor and a yellow stain looking like a drip on the outside of the tub. The shower sprayed on the floor, the sink wasn't seated properly under the counter in the bathroom, the fridge was warm, and the room was so bright from the parking lot lighting that my very sleepy toddler asked me if it was getting to be day time at eleven pm. It was also extremely noisy, not only with road noise, but hallway noise.

If we come back to this area again, we will not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear akmacbell,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that we were not able to deliver up to your expectations especially with the room accommodations that you were given. I understand the discomfort that this caused you and I appreciate you bringing these issues into our attention as this is our best resource of improving what we can offer.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton-West? Share your experiences!