“New Haven Style Pizza over Wood” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lyons Rd.
Boca Raton, Florida
“New Haven Style Pizza over Wood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

In order for pizzarias to differentiate themselves, they have to come up with different angles. Every shopping center has its pizzaria. Steve's is the only wood-fired New Haven style pizza in the immediate vicinity. That's its angle. Decent, but not great. Trying hard

Visited April 2014

“Better than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I bought a groupon for this place and then I read a lot of reviews that were not favorable so I was not expecting a good meal. I was wrong. We had the veal meatball appetizer and it was very good. A lot of reviews knocked the pizza for one reason or another but our half cheese and half pepperoni pizza was light with a nice crisp, thin crust. A lot of people knocked the service, but our server Steve, not the owner, was courteous and efficient. I had bypassed this place for 15 years but now I wish I hadn't.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I took my son this past Friday night here to have dinner. We went in around 530pm, the place was completely empty except for a man at the counter drinking a beer. We were showed to a table that was dirty, I asked the server to wipe it down. He did so with a dirty rag and left most of the crumbs still on the table. I asked him to wipe it better and the person at the bar said a nasty comment to me about being a pain in the BUTT, not that actual word, . It did not go well from there. We argued and the owner did nothing to get this man to shut up. Apparently he was a regular. My son got scared and went to the car. This man followed me to my car and called me an F Jew, which is offensive even though I am not Jewish. I refuse to give this place a dime of my money. We were there about a year ago, I thought it was good, but expensive. This time I had a Groupon, which Im getting a refund for. Ill go to Anthonys Coal fire pizza in CS, 25 mins away when thats how customers are treated and drunks are given priority or food buying patrons.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton, FL
“Used to be much better! Will not be back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have eaten here several times in the past, but admittedly had not eaten here for at least a year until last night. We decided to grab a quick casual bite - very local as we were tired. When we arrived there was not one other customer in the restaurant which surprised us as we remembered it to be busy.

I ordered the wedding soup, which I remembered to be great. After a 15-20 minute wait, when the waitress brought it over she told me it was freshly made. The soup was fluorescent yellow. It was very salty and tasted like straight chicken broth from a concentrate. I ate a few bites, only the little meatballs in it were good! My husband ordered wings. After a few more minutes he called over the waitress and asked about the wings. She said, coming up soon. The manager who I believe is actually Steve called over to our table, "you want them cooked, right?" and proceeded to laugh with the other staff at the restaurant. It was very unprofessional and put us both off. The wings arrived a few minutes later. Just as a point of knowledge. When you order the wings, they ask you what kind of sauce. The wings come to you dry with the sauce on the side. Finally, after about 45 minutes the pizza came. We order sausage with peppers. We have had this before and liked it. It was over cooked, burnt in some places and was very salty. My husband said the wings were OK.

During the entire evening the manager/Steve was sitting at the "bar" playing with the computer and complaining that it was not working properly. As the restaurant started filling in a customer came and offered to help fix it. They were bantering about what he would get in return for successfully fixing it. This is a very small restaurant and the whole thing was annoying and obnoxious as the whole dining room could here them.

When we requested our check, Steve came over with a hand held machine to swipe our credit card and announced loudly what our total was and did we want to add in a gratuity. I politely asked to actually see the bill. The bill came, we swiped and we exited as fast as possible. I think that will be the last time we ever eat there. A shame since I remembered it fondly.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“You lost me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I was never really a regular, but I had always enjoyed the neighborhood feel of Steve's. I remember once when ordering soup before my pizza, the waitress saying how "Steve himself made it." Whether that was true or not, it gave me the feeling that from owner to waitress, this was a great place to eat. No more. Yes, the dining area is small, but one young inexperienced, but hard working waiter and one younger and less experienced, but hard working bus boy is just no the way to serve loyal customers. We waited one hour for our pizza and as we were leaving the couple next to us, who had come before us, was just getting their pizza. This is the second such experience. Steve's, you lost me.

• Visited April 2014