“Great location and premises” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $199/nt
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Boca Raton
Panama City, Panama
“Great location and premises”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

A very Floridian ambiance with lots of personality welcomes guests to sun bathing by an attractive swimming pool overlooking a marina, a large sun room, a café, spa and several dining options in addition to a yacht club.
It seems a popular destination for weddings (5 of them the week-end we were there!) and that accounted for a well attended lobby where a couple of Botero´s gracious sculptures were exhibited.
Our standard room was very comfortable and offered the added convenience of a make-up area outside the bathroom. The staff was friendly and helpful in general. Their buffet breakfast offered nice options in a palace-size dining room.
A great choice for families.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights for a medical conference. Within the first few minutes of check-in, I heard 3 separate guests complaining about various issues, 2 of them were back from earlier because it had yet to be resolved. Then it was my turn at check in...an issue!

They had no reservation for me or pre-paid reservation on file that my company had paid for in advance. Even though I had the print out, the receipt and when you call the 800 number it shows I had paid in full in advance.
The front desk girl was less than friendly and rudely doubted me.....they did let me check in, the next day I did go back to the front to resolve the issue which, I was in the right, apparently a system issue, but the same girl from the day before offered no apology for her rude doubting me and truly was very curt and unfriendly.

The cloister rooms in the main building need work. The rooms have been painted over several times and the fixtures are worn, old, dated and the rooms are very very boring and plain! No view.
This hotel is not on the beach, you have to go by boat or shuttle to the beach.

The grounds itself are beautiful and rich with history. The pool is very basic and boring.
I did go over to the beach club and spent a few hours on the VERY crowded private beach.
The pool at the beach club is very stuffy and crowded, over crowded.

I spent an afternoon in the spa which was actually the best part.

I tried several restaurants which were basic hotel food and very over priced.

We did enjoy a Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3 but I did not find much else for kids to do, this was more of an adult oriented hotel. I saw the kids in the paid program and they looked bored. I brought my 10 year old son and he thought the grounds were pretty but there was not much activity that was for kids.

Overall, If you must be in the place to be seen in Boca, this is one of those places. Make sure you have PLENTY of cash in the bank or be prepared to pretend you do. Not a true beach resort. I think this hotel is lovely to look at from the outside but I felt this hotel is lacking for the price with customer service, amenities and room quality.

Room Tip: Money Talks at this hotel, you will be dollar'ed to death
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BocaGuestRelations, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We are terribly sorry to hear that your expectations were not met and regret your initial encounter with our staff at check-in. It also sounds like there were additional challenges you faced in other areas of our hotel. We would love the opportunity to look into your concerns to make sure you and future guests to do not face these same issues moving forward. Should you have a moment, please contact us so we may be of assistance.

Kelly Vohs
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We spent four nights at the hotel last week and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I agree with the prior reviews about being charged for everything - $27 for valet parking, $22 resort fee, and the restaurants. However, when I booked the hotel by telephone the representative suggested one of their packages which included the valet parking, resort fee, buffet breakfast and 18% gratuities for approximately $250 per night. That may still seem pricey but you get to stay in a magnificent setting - if you want a $150 room - well you get what you pay for. We were very pleased with the package and are looking forward to a return stay within the next few weeks. The staff is wonderful, the grounds are beautiful, the gym was very nice, the pool was lovely. Negatives - having to request the car each time you want to leave the resort (nothing is in walking distance); the view of the dirty roof below from our tower room; very overpriced spa treatments; Serendipity Cafe food was pretty bad - breakfast and East 101 Restaurant quite good; very crowded on the weekend with 5 weddings, 2 communions, conferences and other events. I don't think I would make a special trip to Florida to stay here absent a special event but if you have to stay in the area this is the place to stay. Ask for a room in the "67" series in the Tower.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tower "67" series; we stayed in the "61" series - views not so good.
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

An absolutely beautiful facility. The building and grounds are striking. Staff is exceedingly helpful and responsive. If there is a downside it is that the facility seems a bit old (it is old but is showing its' age). Bathroom hardware not up to snuff. Rooms, howeveer, are comfortable, beds are great. Plenty of closet space

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference. Stayed in the yacht club - room was nice, clean roomy - main complaint was a lack of plugs - but not a deal breaker. Hotel is nice, great service and staff. At at the sushi joint morimoto - expensive but nice fish and good service

Conference facilities were top notch - good wireless throughout

Would consider for business or pleasure

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Was reluctant to book here--with all of the added fees a $129 room becomes a $208--not to mention you know they are going to gauge you at the bars and restaurants. Staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a $22 resort fee PER NIGHT so resist the urge to tip big every bell hop and towel boy. A buck or two is plenty and believe me, you will burn through plenty of those. The property is beautiful and the old buildings are huge and have a certain charm. They were very musty...and a little like The Overlook from The Shining...but otherwise clean and comfortable. Overall it was a nice place to stay, but unless someone else is picking up the tab, I wouldn't choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: Very different experiences based on your room choice. Cloisters have an old world charm, views of ga...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned home from the Boca Raton Resort. The hotel and grounds are very beautiful and well kept. Some of the beach chairs and tables you may stick to.......but the beds and sheets are heavenly! The greatest disappointment lies in constantly being fleeced for more money. There was a $22 resort fee, not sure why......as you had to pay for all the amenities in addition to that. Then plan on paying $26 per day, plus tax to park your car......and still had to wait 15 minutes for the valet. At this point you haven't even seen a menu. We paid $200 for a family of 7 to have burgers by the pool. Then we would return to our rooms in the evening to find they still weren't maid-up and had to call for service....really? Even after they were done cleaning the room, they didn't bother to replace the dirty glasses. I will say overall we had a good stay, but felt as if we hemorrhaged money. I think we will try somewhere else next time.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BocaGuestRelations, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
We're so glad to hear that the linens were a welcome retreat and hope they helped you relax and enjoy a restful sleep. I am so sorry to hear about the service inconsistencies and appreciate that you shared your concerns with us. We're addressing this and reevaluating our amenity costs as we continue to refine and enhance our guest experience. We hope to see you again.

Kind regards,
Kelly Vohs

Been to Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!