“Did not make me feel special, nice hotel, average service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $199/nt
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Boca Raton
“Did not make me feel special, nice hotel, average service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's a shame that the service is not what it used to be at this hotel. When I think Waldorf Astoria, I think New York City and this is far from that experience, with regards to service.

The facility is beautiful, old, historic, nice.

The staff...average.

When I checked in at 12:30 AM there were 3 at the desk and only one checking in another couple. I just needed a key. I think that a properly trained staff would have at least acknowledged my existence, tell me your doing billing, but to ignore is average.

Our breakfast in the Palm Court was nice. Rafael our server did a very nice job. The food was very good.

We had a wonderful experience in the gift shop. The sign posted said it should have been closed. The lady was still in the store and when we asked to buy some water, she was very accommodating. This is the service i expect.

Now back to mediocre. When i called for my car on Saturday I was told they were only accepting vehicle requests out front of the hotel. Your busy, so am I. I expect to receive a little service, not wait in the heat.

Upon leaving today I called the valet and asked for my car at 3:45 AM. Then i tried to call the front desk for my folio to be printed. No one answered the telephone at 3:45 Am. I tried three times, received a recording and waited on hold forever. Never talked to anyone.

When I came to the lobby with my bags the valet was going to find my car...15 minutes later. Why did I call.

The staff at the front desk was helpful but the service not notable.

The cleaning staff in the halls were friendly.

The best service at this hotel is at the gift shop.

Not the notable experience i expected. I have stayed here in the past and remember better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I think we were lucky to have been assigned a bungalow suite when we stayed on Feb 4-7, 2013! The room is large, kitchen is adequate, closet space is great. Free shuttle in and out of the bungalows was a great help. The beach club is so worth it too. The bungalow attendants especially Francisco were very nice and helpful.
Our friends were in the main hotel and I can say that our bungalow suite was much better than their rooms.

Room Tip: Get the bungalows
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sag Harbor, Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am sorry to see what the Waldorf / Hilton people have done to the grand old space. The dignity is gone, but in its place there are six places to eat from high end Italian to Sushi to kid food at Serendipity. The shops are not very interesting and add to the new cluttered look.

The front desk gets overcrowded and valet gets overwhelmed from time to time.

The grounds are still absolutely beautiful and the views grand.

I stayed in a twelfth floor Tower room overlooking the inland waterway and distant ocean to the
South. Stunning! My room and bathroom were very comfortable though I found the air conditioning was tricky and the adjustment was old fashioned.

Thee breakfast buffet is wonderful in either the grand old room or in the outer salon with views of tied up yachts.
I would go back...good value for the cost.

Room Tip: I would go for a tower room with a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as part of a conference I attended.

We stayed at the "bungalows" a little off the main site, and it was definitely worth it. First, shuttles were there frequently, and anytime we needed one, the attendant would call and we'd be in one about a minute later. The beach and main property were only a few minutes away. I had friends stay in the main part (the "Cloisters") section and were complaining a bit about their room, decor, etc. The Bungalows are more modern and updated (though there were a few comestic issues with our room), the plantation blinds, the big bed, etc. were all wonderful. And since we had a car, the free parking was a great added perk.

The facilities were nice, food was decent, and the beach was quiet and uncrowded. I'm not sure if this hotel should fetch the price it asks for (and I probably wouldn't stay there if paying on my own), but it is a very nice hotel right in the heart of Boca Raton.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Palm Bay, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I cannot believe I am about to write what I am going to write. Looking at the pictures, My wife and I were SO excited about talking great things. Folks...this is is the worst quality of rooms in my overall hotel experience...ever. Follow my posts, I am not high maintenance, but for pete's sake...Waldorf-Astoria....what a joke. I seriously felt that I was in the best hotel in a 3rd world country. Yes...the rest of the hotel was very nice...but SAVE YOUR MONEY. This is NOT even a 3 star hotel. Please look at my posted pictures. Closet door came off...nighttable was missing a leg!!!! Hinges are rusted..paint chipping....brass rusted..mirrors crooked...bathroom dirty...pillows...wow...the pillows were feather...I asked for foam...it felt like they got round cotton balls in put them in a sheet..the feather was firmer. What a joke. This hotel needs massive intervention...maybe new management. I honestly feel as if the Ritz-Carlton would NEVER let this slip through their hands like it has. The Fairfield inn's rooms locally is 7 times better....yes people..you heard right. I am so embarrassed and dissappointed to say that. I saw the hotel's reviews on how a Peter Serena addressed the issue and "assured a Waldorf luxury experience". Obviously that was not enough. Here is the bottom line...if you have marble in the bathrooms...and you paint over it...all over...scrape it off...lack of attention to detail. I really wish I could refund my stay. If you HAVE to stay here..sleep and get out of your room asap. So sad. Sorry honey..I promise a better Valentine next time. We'll stay at a Marriott!

• Stayed February 2013
BocaGuestRelations, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
As always, we appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences both with us and other travelers on Tripadvisor.com. The stay described above falls far short of the manner in which we strive to treat our guests. We strive to provide our guests with ultra-consistent experiences, and broken amenities and poor maintenance are not to be tolerated. We are committed to restoring the perception you had of the Boca Raton Resort & Club when you chose us for your special Valentine's weekend. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this stay with you directly to ensure that you are aware of the action that has been taken to address your concerns and to do everything possible to repair your relationship with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Peter J. Serena
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Not worth it. Needs a major uplift.

The bathrooms were very outdated. Dirty, moldy shower curtains, They should have glass. No extra amenities like q-tips or shower caps. Bathroom smelled like mold or mildew.

Breakfast definitely Not worth it. POOR quality and taste.

Not suitable for couples on valentines.

One of the bell-captains named Ralf was wonderful. He gave a tour on the way to the room and denied to accept gratuity. He was very respectful and helpful. He should be a in guest services, he did a better job then they did.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BocaGuestRelations, General Manager at Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our property during your stay in our area, and I apologize that you encountered unsatisfactory conditions in your guest room and bathroom. We have addressed the issues and instituted additional training with our housekeeping and engineering staffs to avoid that issue in the future and to ensure that our guests are surrounded by inspirational environments during their stays. We're also sharing your displeasure with the Valentine's day breakfast offerings with our chef so we can make improvements to next year's holiday specials. I'm sharing your compliments with our operations staff about the special service you encountered and am pleased you could see the value of our hospitality. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you will find the singular Waldorf luxury experience you deserve.

Peter J. Serena
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked hotel on Hotwire, when we checked in they sent us all the way to the back of the resort to the bungalows which are in need of major repair. Room had a mildew smell and was drab and old. I called the front desk to see if they could move us to a tower or yacht club room, they told us it was all booked up. (Even though I had it pulled it up available on my iPad) beds were 2 fulls not queens and no kings available. (TINY) room service said it would come in a hour and a half it came in twenty minutes and it was ice cold. Large evian water was $8.00 chips were stale and out of a bag. Turkey club was decent but fries were horrible. Next day we left at 11am and returned at 4:30 to an uncleaned room. Called and they said they are still cleaning rooms. At 4:30??? The housekeeper was the only friendly person I had encountered there. Unhappy customer!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Boca Raton Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!