“Gasparilla Island State park” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Attractions in Boca Grande
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
Venice, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Gasparilla Island State park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I love this beach. It is very secluded and I feel I can strech out. It's very clean and very pretty.

Visited February 2013

detroit
37 attraction reviews
“beautiful and tranquil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed in Boca grande for a week and spent most of our time walking on the beach. The place is deserted, quiet and beautiful. The sand is white and soft under your feet, but there are millions of shells everywhere, you can collect to your hearts content. It is not commercialized so it is very peaceful. We stayed near the south end of the island so it is very quiet. Plenty of parking and not many tourists, which was great for us. The beach also has a lot of grass and plants growing along it. Be careful along the water at the south end since the water has riptides. You do have to pay to get on the beach even if you go on foot. They trust you to place your money in an envelope and place it in the boxes allocated. I don't think anyone checks but the money goes towards keeping the beaches clean and beautiful.

Visited December 2012
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
80 attraction reviews
“Nice and quiet beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

There are several places to park in Boca Grande as part of the Gasparilla St Pk system. I parked at the first one after 'downtown', and it was more crowded than some of the others. The next most crowded was the one farthest south. But there seemed to be plenty of spots to park. It was January, a weekday, and not very crowded. Which was nice. If you are not from this area, these beaches have a lot of shells, for those who like to collect. There are bathroom facilities in more than one parking area and at the very south end. There is an eatery close to the main park, but other than that, food and drink can be obtained in the 'downtown' area.
To get on to the Island, costs $6, and parking is $3. So the almost $10 price, may keep visitors away. Which is good if you like to come to the beach and not feel over crowded. The water is beautiful, and I found the Island very clean. I brought my bike, and rode the bike trails (golf cart road). They are privately maintained, so they are beautifully landscaped and well maintained. The Island is only about 7 miles long, so the trails are not a long distance, so easy to do. When I stopped at the beaches, I did not even lock my bike up, because it felt like a safe environment.
Outside of walking next to the golf/bike trails, there are no nature trails on the Island. But there are plenty of beaches to walk down to make up for that.
If you want a clean, and quiet beach to spend a few hours, you should try this State Park.

Visited January 2013
Port Charlotte, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“A Wonderful Day to Relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Liked the fact that I could watch boats and small ships going in and out of the pass. Liked that I could watch everyone fishing, but me! Very nice and wild place to take the kids. We even saw a jellyfish that had washed ashore!

Johnson City, Tennessee
20 attraction reviews
“Shelling, quiet, wonderful beach walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our walk along the shoreline here. Shells are washed up in piles along the shoreline. Quiet and peaceful in December. We were in the area close to the lighthouse. It did not look a good place to swim as we saw a pretty large whirlpool. There was a sign warning folks not to swim because of the strong currents. A very pleasant way to spend an hour or so walking around.

Visited December 2012