Since my husband and I started a family 2 years ago, we have been searching for a good domestic vacation option. We still travel internationally with our little one but we have been looking for a place to frequent a few times per year, with the conveniences of a Target down the street, lots of restaurant options, etc. We have tried a few properties on the east and west coasts of Florida. This time we narrowed our selection to One Bal Harbour or the Four Seasons. We decided to check out One Bal Harbour for a long weekend/ birthday trip for my husband. Initially we had a really good feeling about it. It’s new (or newly refurbished) with modern decor, and it is pretty well equipped for families… We had a spacious 1 bedroom suite on the 17th floor, it was well lit (I have seen a few reviews about the rooms being dark – if you can get the dimmers to work correctly there’s plenty of light), the furniture was comfortable (though the mattress was oddly mushy/soft not in a good way as has been shared by a few other travelers...it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't heavenly either), the cooktop and refrigerator were a good size… our son was entertained throughout the weekend watching the boats go between the ocean and the marina. Our room was ready early as requested, which was great. Upon arrival we went straight to the pool. The pool-side food was pretty good. 2 of the pool staff were awesome (Joselle (male) and a woman, I can’t recall her name but it was something like Catana)…some of the others were a bit aloof and seemed to be more into walking around and being seen than making eye contact, and engaging and assisting guests. The front desk staff was helpful and the concierge staff was very responsive prior to my arrival (including helping me to identify a personal chef for my hubby’s birthday dinner) and while we were onsite.
Unfortunately, we had a few minor issues, e.g., the birthday message sent to our room was addressed to me and not my husband, however, I was happy to see that my request for a unique beer (in lieu of champagne) was accommodated. We visited the hotel restaurant, once during our visit...the service was extremely slow (which is well documented on various travel review sites), the breakfast breads, the fresh oj and the French toast were delicious...but we were also served an overcooked/ visibly charred omelet, and breakfast potatoes, and to add insult to injury, my request to the hostess and manager to do something to acknowledge my husband’s birthday was completely disregarded. I wasn’t expecting anything big. I was offered a dessert, and that seemed as good as anything…but it never came. (I have never witnessed anything like that, ever – who ignores a patron’s birthday completely??!! - it was very disappointing) The last minor issue was that the turn down service threw away some of our food which was in a plastic bag on the kitchen counter (not under the sink/near the trash can). Speaking of trash, the beach looks great from afar…I knew it was a public beach but the area in front of the hotel had more trash in the sand and water than I was expecting.
On our last day, I wanted to purchase something from the hotel as a souvenir from our trip and the best I could do was a bottle opener since there is no hotel gift shop. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the bottle opener has a knife on it (I don’t use bottle openers very often) and it was taken out of my purse by a TSA representative. I called the hotel the next day to purchase another bottle opener and I was told by the front desk staff that they would send me another one gratis. I was very appreciative of this gesture, and felt it made up for some of the issues we experienced during our visit. Imagine my surprise that the bottle opener which was mailed to me was not new – in fact it had a greasy film and finger prints all over it, so much so that the hotel logo was smudged...and there were small nicks in the metal from use…I did not ask to be comp’d a $20 bottle opener, and one would think that if it was a major expense for the hotel to send a new one, I would have been presented with the option to purchase another new one or to be given a previously used one complimentary…I tried to contact the hotel manager via phone and email to see if it was an oversight and if maybe I could swap it out or just purchase a new one. I never received a response.
Overall, this is a nice hotel...but I can't help but feel that though it is not a super expensive or exclusive property the attention to detail could be better for the price point. That said, we’re still searching for a family friendly spot that meets all of our needs and most of our expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the vast expanse of the Atlantic Ocean and just steps from all Miami has to offer, ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa is a luxury oceanfront Bal Harbour resort. The resort boasts unparalleled onsite amenities, access to sparkling oceanfront sands and discover the exclusivity of only two elegant Bal Harbour accommodations per floor. In each room, guests will enjoy deluxe accommodations with spacious terraces, stunning views of the Atlantic, elegant décor and 42-inch flat-screen TVs with surround-sound. ONE Bal Harbour’s elite Miami suites are beyond spacious, ranging from 1,147 to 2,800 square feet of total floor space and including up to four outdoor terraces. ONE Bal Harbour makes leisure a way of life with its expansive outdoor pool, pristine beach area and full-service spa, featuring a wide range of relaxing and replenishing beauty and well-being treatments. As a family friendly Miami resort, ONE Bal Harbour offers an exclusive kids VIP program that comes with special perks and benefits. The ultra-chic hotel is located near Bal Harbour dining, the famed designer Bal Harbour Shops, art galleries, nightlife and much more, providing easy access to the most exciting Miami activities. An oasis of indulgence nestled along the beautiful blue ocean, ONE Bal Harbour is an elite place to gather for an elegant beachfront wedding or a festive celebration with friends and family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Tingo, Booking.com, HotelsClick, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Otel so you can book your ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- One Bal Harbour Resort And Spa
- 1 Bal Harbour Resort & Spa
- One Bal Harbour Hotel Bal Harbour
- Bal Harbour Regent
- Regent Bal Harbour
- ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa Florida