“Very good, this time” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Brighton, MI
“Very good, this time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is two reviews rolled in to one. Last year about this time we went to Segafredo Bal Harbour, like we had four or five times before. We like it for the people watching and for the atmosphere and we can smoke, (cigars even). When we started going years ago they had Happy Hour martinis for $5.00! And they were good martinis. That went by the wayside... No specials for a couple of years now. They also had Happy Hour appetizers, alas no more... The menu was huge! A couple of pages worth of food and three or more for drinks, not any more... We still went and liked it and paid the going rate. Last year we had our appetizers and some martinis and smoked a bit and had a thoroughly good time. When the bill came I did what NO ONE should do, I noticed the 18% was already added and ignored the line for "additional tip" since the service is always hit or miss. I signed the bill and we were on our way. I always check my credit card receipts on-line against what my in-hand receipt says. I noticed that the Segafredo charge was an even number, that almost never happens. I checked my receipt and the charge had been rounded upwards to the next dollar, not a lot of money, but it was the principle. Who gives them the right to add money to your bill? No one that I know and surely no signs posted that they do that (add sarcasm here). I called the store and the saga began. I'll cut to the chase... It took weeks and numerous phone calls and e-mails to get them to provide some satisfaction, any satisfaction. First, they gave me back the 82 cents or whatever the amount was. I thought, "You STEAL from a customer and when you get caught all you do is refund the amount you stole!" I went higher on the food chain and finally they acted like they were doing me the biggest favor they had ever done for a customer, they refunded the entire amount, $90.00. The whole time acting like nothing wrong had been done and like I was being a pest. As the saying goes: Buyer Beware!
After telling ourselves we would never go back, we found ourselves at Bal Harbour once again and back at Segafredo today. Still no specials, still no Happy Hour. I asked for a martini menu and the waiter said they would make me what I wanted. Since I didn't know what some of the specialty martinis were called, I couldn't very well tell him what I wanted. They had a small tent menu on the table and they listed three small desserts, we tried to order two of the three. We were told they had key lime (not on the menu), so we ordered two. They were very small (by design) but very, very tasty. We'd go back just for them. Two black coffees and them made a nice little snack while we people watched. We asked for the bill and again the 18% is added. This time we put enough CASH in the folder to cover the full amount and I rounded up to the next dollar this time. I am guessing we will go back, just because we like the atmosphere so much, but we will probably pay cash or if by credit card make sure we check the bill before we leave.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Dingwall, Scotland
“Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Found by accident, driving around Miami and stopped at the Bal Harbour Shops.
Was busy at lunchtime, lots of 'beautiful people' strolling around with their expensive purchases! Us sweaty tourists probably looked out of place.

Steak Panini, Spaghetti Alfredo with Shrimp (special), water and a couple of coffees, $66, expensive but pleasant. Oh yeah and the 18% service charge added-on, so be careful.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Best euro-value in mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ate there last night and it's located in the Bal Harbour Mall upstairs--found this to best value of several restaurants there that cater to the mostly very wealthy shoppers. Had the special – Filet Mignon and pasta – a steal at $19.50. The ambiance is Euro-chain and feels a little like the old old MIke Myers "Sprockets" euro skit on SNL but it's bearable, despite dance beat covers of 90s hits playing on the sound system. Staff range from very nice (Cuban manager) to indifferent (European waitress). By the way, most restaurants in the area add an 18% gratuity to the bill which is rude and sometimes causes extra payment--watch out.

Visited August 2012