“old school charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
New York City, New York
“old school charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Good location away from the crowds. Very well managed and maintained. Extremely clean. Staff, for the most part, pleasant and accommodating. Daytime staff seem to be more helpful and experienced. If you're not driving, trip from the airport could run you from $50 to $80.

Room Tip: try and get a room with balcony. makes a big difference.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've been in this hotel several times so I consider that I can do a REAL review of it.
The hotel location is perfect. On Collins Ave. in the middle of Bal Harbour with direct access to the beach and just meters to the Bal Harbour Shops.
The hotel is very clean while this is something difficult to find in Miami Beach.
They definitively don't like the kids, I noted it on my successive visits, specially the breakfast manager, that woman uses to be rude if you're with children. I've contacted the hotel managers because if that situation. Anyway I found other guests feeling the same about the hotel and their children acceptance.
The beach area is a bit outdated, it needs a refresh, and the pool wasn't so clean during my stay.
When I arrived to the hotel this time I was told that I was going to pay $50 per night for my sons (additional bed) while I booked a room for 3 people including a king size bed. I argued about the extra charge not being informed by the travel agency before booking and the manager kindly removed the charges as an exception. So consider this additional fee when booking.

Stayed April 2014
Vernon, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Overall we would not stay here again. The staff here was just awful. That coupled with the nickel and diming for everything made for an unpleasant experience.

We had to pay $15 to use the "gym" (and I use that term loosely since it had one treadmill and one bike and a small assortment of other equip ) The posted hours to the gym are 7 AM opening. So I went there at 7 AM and they were not open. They had to get security to open the door for me ( and incidently he acted like he was doing me a HUGE favor by opening the gym - that I was paying for - when it should have been open ) So anyhow, I am running - and as any runner knows I like to keep a good pace / time, and the trainer there comes up to me mid run and interupts me to tell me that the staff at the front desk forgot to charge me and there is another form that I have to sign. ?? HUH!!!?? So after getting into the gym late, finding someone to open the gym and having my workout interupted, still charged $15. And it felt like the AC was not working as the temp was a good 10 degrees warmer than it should have been.

The staff here wasnot very pleasant either.. We looked around the pool for towels ( seems a reasonable request ) and couldnt find any at 7 PM. So I went to the front desk to ask where the towels were (This is a $300/night hotel.Its not unreasonable to ask for a towl for the pool at 7PM ) and she looked at me like I was crazy for asking. She curtly informed me that they only stock towels until 5 PM and that I would have to go back to my room and get one of our TWO bath towels to use for my daughter. Not service that I would expect from a 3+ star hotel that we are paying a lot of money for.

Also for breakfast, we stopped at the coffee place - $13 for a hard bagel, small cup of apple juice and 1 coffee. The parking was $20 for the night and the valet proceeded to scold me for how I put the luggage in the car.

We would not be staying here again. Like the property, like the location, but the staff made this a memorable trip, and not in a good way.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Bal Harbour hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at this quaint European style hotel for a week and it was calming, lovely, immaculate, on the beach and accessible to everything. You can walk across the street to Bal Harbor Shops for great dining and "expensive" shopping or you can rent a car be anywhere fairly quickly. Easy access to and from airport. Be sure to visit the South Beach area for a treat...fabulous restaurants, people watching from the Clevelander is fun...This is our 4th visit to this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: As for room location, try to get a room facing the beach...it is lovely. You will feel special. If...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Westchester County NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I've reviewed this hotel on a couple of occasions...and now, we...my wife and I...were back again. I suppose that returning again and again as we do is a good review in and of itself. It remains a quiet, unpretentious place that we find nice and comfortable. Our room was spacious and both the room and the bathroom were immaculate. I like the bar, where the bartender was always very friendly. On nice days you can sit at the outside bar but inside in the evenings is also very pleasant. All in all, I still recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice....though not glitzy...hotel that has a fine pool and beach. The only one thing that irked me was the hair-dryer that is mounted on the wall above the commode. The hand-held unit wouldn't sit in the wall-mount well at all and I notified the desk about it in person. I know that someone did give it some attention while we were out, but didn't correct this at all because it kept falling out of its place during our stay and, on one occasion, it nearly fell right into the commode. Now, this isn't a big thing, but I feel that it should have been repaired properly or we should have been told why it wasn't. I hope I'm not being petty but this alone prevents me from concluding that the Sea View is an "Excellent" hotel. I guess we don't necessarily need an excellent hotel when visiting South Florida to see relatives. If it were one of our genuine vacations, I'd be more disappointed in this omission. C'mon owners...pay some more attention to the details!! because you do have a nice place, there!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Muncy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here for the convenience, however, now we simply love this grand hotel!! The restaurant, the bar, the service...hands down best on the beach!! We have stayed in September and November, looking to return in March.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed at the Sea View Hotel for the first time in January 2014 for three nights. Have usually stayed in chain hotels in South Florida, but decided to give this independent hotel a try based on a recommendation. The Sea View Hotel was recently refurbished and could best be characterized as "old meets new." Was glad to see owners kept the best of the old while incorporating the best of the new. Location is ideal - close enough to South Beach, but far enough away to avoid the congestion and craziness. The beach is first rate and there are superb restaurants and shopping opportunities nearby. The location offers easy access to freeways and points north and south. I found the staff very helpful and courteous. It's not the St. Regis next door, but it's not trying to be, nor does it offer the St. Regis price tag. My experience at the Sea View Hotel does not mirror several of the earlier negative reivews on this site. Any question or concern I had was promptly and effectively addressed by the staff.

Room Tip: Hotel is located on the beach and offers unobstructed ocean views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Sea View Hotel? Share your experiences!